1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ugh...I should have just bought the Tundra.

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Lindenwood, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    I bought a brand new 2014 GMC Sierra in 2013 for work and regretted it almost immediately. The damn thing broke on the way home from the dealer and that was just the beginning.

Loud rattling gets me pulled over by TSA at the airport week one of ownership.
    Eventually the loud rattle, I’m talking loud, turned out to be the exhaust flapper valve. They didn’t have parts so i had to wait on a Whole new exhaust system.

The transmission never worked correctly. It was Constantly hunting and slamming into gears or acting like it was slipping. (They said normal)

It would refuse to start on a Regular basis stranding me and or my crew with a security code. They never figured this out.

It would intermittently shake at idle after a few thousand miles. Not a light shake either, the whole truck would shimmy. This used to freak people out.

The ticking. The direct injectors in this thing were loud. I got annoyed explaining it to people at gas stations.

It died while driving on the freeway in the fast lane. To its credit it did restart in a hurry.

The evap core cracked and I lost the a/c.

The seat belt pretensioners broke.

I had a recall every 5k miles or so.

Drivers seat split and vinyl on the sides of the leather seat started to peel off.

Ball joints were toast.

Drivers door power lock motor died.

Anytime something was plugged into the sd card slot it would cause crash the infotainment system.

Frequently the infotainment system would crash while driving and I would get a blank screen. This rendered the climate controls and radio inop.

The backup camera worked when it felt like it.

The battery cables were rotten and had to be replaced

The list goes on but you get the idea. I always thought to myself “This has to be the last thing” but it never was. Finally at 48k miles I gave up and sold it. I miss the safety rating, the quiet comfort, the towing and payload Capacity, and a few other things. That said, I don’t miss the build quality.

And now for the ford!

I also have an f450 tow truck which was purchased new. It has 4K miles on it. The dashboard is melting and sticky. The dash is also warping toward the base of the windshield. It has a window shade in it most of the time. Quality is job one my ass.

Anyway, after all this nonsense I bought a tundra... no problems yet 2500 miles, Knock on wood.

jtwags, NewImprovedRon and GasGasTXT like this.
  2. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    dlos

dlos Truckin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Off-Road
    Mods Mods Mods....
    I just got out of a 2014 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, really loved that truck right up until the end after it put us in "limp mode" for the 6th time in some tough situations including getting on interstates, passing vehicles. Ford either isn't certain of a fix for this or is and doesn't want to pony up to deal with it, instead their program is throwing parts at it (with your money). With 120k problem-free miles on it we decided it was just time to move on rather than chase a fix we learned wasn't going to happen. Sucks.

OP, that "transmission clunk" is most likely the slip yoke, a very very common problem in Ford drive trains. Mine started doing it at about 1500 miles new. Ford denied it was abnormal, which in hindsight makes sense since it is quite common in their truck lines. Their "fix" is to take it off, clean the splines and add some special grease. This only lasts a a few months then it starts right back with the clunking. It didn't ever appear to damage anything but was seriously annoying.

Payload can be increased with air bags or super springs (RAS also has a nice set of springs). I've used super springs and RAS, both increased payload, improved handling and eliminated 99% of squat when towing anything (we had a 6K lbs TT and still pull a 22' boat).

Bummer you're having problems with the new ride, I agree with going that route given the numbers you are working with. If you go to a Tundra, you might want to reconsider the trailer and go with something lighter?

3. Mar 17, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    Elevatormatt

Elevatormatt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    19 cement crewmax
    That is why a WDH is a must on any large trailer. I have towed my 8900lb camper short distances without the WDH, and the difference is night and day. Once you weigh down the back of the truck, and start taking weight off the front, the truck does not handle well at all. But with the right hitch, set up properly, I feel I can tow plenty more weight.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    TTCrewmax

TTCrewmax New Member

Member:
    I have bags on mine and when towing I love them - level the ride and the pull is rock solid. It did make the non-loaded ride more harsh - but it's my towing rig and it is what it is...beats the hell out of driving a 1-ton everyday.

5. Feb 2, 2020 at 10:42 PM
    TacomaLC

TacomaLC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    T-town
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Voodoo 2000 Tundra LTD Red (rest in pieces)
    The gen1 Tundra's routinely go 300,000 miles with routine mx. Until last Father's day, I had a 2000 since new and it was flawless, and quiet as the day I took delivery. Those were made in Indiana. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  6. Feb 3, 2020 at 11:12 PM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    When I bought my Tundra 2 years ago, stories like this are why I stuck with Toyota.

Had 20k to spend, so decent used truck $$$$. Had great service from several 1990's GM vehicles(2 different LS1 Camaros, 1995 Caddy Fleetwood, 1991 Caddy Brougham, 1998 Grand Prix(supercharged!!!). Went to look at 2007-2015ish GM trucks, kept hearing horror stories about the displacement on demand crapping out and costing you a cool $3000 repair that required removing the cylinder heads.

Decided to stick with Toyota and bought the tundra. Had great service with their tiny stripper reg cab/5 speed no option trucks(had an 88, 93, and 2004 all configured that way)

7. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:23 AM
    AK 6.7PSD Replacement

AK 6.7PSD Replacement New Member

Member:
    IL, MO, KS, DE, IL, AK, SC...
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    To clarify my original post, I’ll offer two comments:

1. Yes, I drove the diesel daily (there is no manufacturer’s warning to only drive intermittently)

2. I sold the travel trailer; only a moron would try to bumper-pull a 5+ ton trailer with a Tundra (and now let fly the comments about spring packs, air bags, what grandpappy did, one time in band camp, blah blah blah)

Cpl_Punishment and GODZILLA like this.
  8. Feb 5, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    twistedcricket

twistedcricket New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Omahell, NE
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    TRD rear sway bar, power fold tow mirrors, Firestone airbags, LED OEM fogs
    Same.

Probably overkill for me as I pull a small lightweight camper, but I have aspirations of a slightly larger camper someday. I also put 200-350lbs in the bed of the truck for camping trips.

9. Feb 5, 2020 at 6:38 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    You mentioned the extra power in a F250 - but that's only with a diesel. The 6.2 gassers are gutless - the Tundra engine (Or Ford's 5.0 and 3.5) tow much, much better. I can't believe how much the engine has to work to get up a 7% grade with 5k lbs in tow and 1k lbs in cargo. Something well within 1/2 ton range and it can barely do 50 mph up a 7% grade. I was 50/50 on buying an HD gasser if I ever needed the extra towing, but after driving one for a few weeks it's diesel or Tundra for me.

twistedcricket likes this.
  10. Feb 5, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    A lot of guys on the GM forums say the 2007-2013 1500s were the most dependable truck they've ever had. Not sure how many of them did a DOD delete, though.

11. Feb 6, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    too tall

too tall New Member

Member:
    Lots of interesting comments. For the record we are 2 years into pulling a 26' Airstream with the Tundra. Weight Dist. Hitch of course!
    Got to say this is one sweet pulling setup. Lots of power, nothing weird or feeling undergunned etc. The two things I'd remind folks is that the factory (front) rotors are lame at best. Replace them with non-slotted good quality rotors and full metallic pads and go nuts. Also, it is a fact that once you have 800'ish lbs on the ball (that's fine for this truck using a WDH) you only have about 500 lbs left to put into/on the bed (spitballing don't hold me to EXACT numbers 'cause I'm close). The limitation on what I can put in the bed is the ONLY thing that is a downside pulling this kind of load dot period full stop. That Tundra is a hell of a truck. Oh forgot to say that when unhitched driving for groceries the ride quality is really nice vs "real" 2500s that beat you to death...mostly because of the tires but hey we are bitchin' and switchin' right?

NOW....I'm holding my breath for 2022 when Toyota hopefully comes out with the V6Turbo hybrid and dear l0rd please please offer more weight carrying ability 'cuase if you don't I'm getting a Big Block Gasser from Chebby.

Go for it.

12. Feb 6, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    WrigglingWilly

WrigglingWilly Well used Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 4x4 5.7 8.1bed
    LineX
    I think op needs a motor home and to tow the New Tundra behind that! Sell the trailer!

Products Discussed in

To Top