1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ugh...I should have just bought the Tundra.

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Lindenwood, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Feb 3, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Watt maker

Watt maker Keepin' the lights on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra DC Cement
    1 of 255
    I'm lucky I have a very good crew so I really try to take care of them and they take care of me.

I will tell her hi for you, tell yours I said hello as well please!

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Feb 3, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    TundraRon

TundraRon New Member

Member:
    I'm here with you man. I bought a 2018 f150 5.0... got caught up in the Ford hype. Light weight 5.0 powahhhHH!!! The truck is like a bad dream. I have the engine rattle, transmission clunk, warped dash, transmission whine, and some weird turkey call sound coming out of the rear end under hard acceleration. I'm just going to try to get some more service out of this truck before I dump it for a Tundra. I knew I should have just went with the Toyota but my impulsive side just went with the dumb Ford. I wish I could go back in time and kick myself in the rear.

3. Feb 3, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    Lindenwood

Lindenwood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 and 2016 4Runners, Selling 2002 for a Tundra
    2002 4Runner: Custom full rmor, 33 MTs, Fridge, drawers, OBA, flat paint (for easy touch-ups). 2016 4Runner TRDP: Wheels, 32 ATs, 2" Lift F/R
    Im gonna see what Ford says about these things. I dont love the idea of eating another $5k, but I am seriously considering trading for a Tundra. It would take some pretty significant equipment and supply tweaks to get my planned 2500lb payload (including tongue weight) down to the 1550lb max for a Tundrw 4x4 CrewMax. But I might be willing to see what I can do just to get back into a reliable rig.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Watt maker likes this.
  4. Feb 3, 2019 at 8:20 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, charcoal filter delete, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, Tyger soft tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate.
    It’s sad that they all aren’t reliable the way they should be. You would think they could all get it right after that being in business for this many years. But the fact that everything has to be updated to the latest and greatest to keep up with everyone else becomes the reliability issue. Toyota is slow but I think that’s why they’re reliable. I think they do a lot of testing before they put anything new out. And then they stick with it.

I was all about American made and branded vehicles. I want them to succeed. Obviously they keep selling them but the quality just isn’t there in my eyes.

I think Toyota could make something great in HD, but getting people to buy it would be a loss for Toyota. Too many people are closed minded when it comes to their trucks. I think the limiting factor with the current tundra and increasing payload is the axles just won’t handle it long term. If they would beef up the frame springs and axles they could make an HD without too much change.

5. Feb 4, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    TundraRon

TundraRon New Member

Member:
    Yeah I'm just going to use my F150 for a little while longer. If I trade in right now it will be a pretty good hit. Bought it last July. And initially noticed the clunky drive line. And when I start it up there is a loud clunk sometimes. When the transmission is cold it sometimes hangs in a low gear then revs up and upshifts very hard. I think the TSB may have helped that. It still shifts weird when cold. Then I noticed the dash all bowed up and warping. And at about 5500 miles the off throttle rattle started up. And shortly after that I notice some strange chirpy noise under heavy acceleration. I looked at some Tundras yesterday. I think the SR5 with the 5.7 will suit me well great price for what you get. I need that 38 gallon fuel tank. If Toyota does a redesign for 2020. I might make a move on a '19 then. I'm not sure I want a first year redesign.

15whtrd likes this.
  6. Feb 5, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    Lindenwood

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner: Custom full rmor, 33 MTs, Fridge, drawers, OBA, flat paint (for easy touch-ups). 2016 4Runner TRDP: Wheels, 32 ATs, 2" Lift F/R
    My wife and I have seriously been considering trading for a Tundra over the last couple days. Even been talking to a couple dealers, heh. But, I think I'm going to hold what Ive got for now. As great as the Tundra is, there is a lot to be said for the safety of a truck that shares almost all of its its suspension, chassis, brakes, and powertrain with rigs designed to tow and haul up to 10k lbs more.

Thanks for the rant support, and thanks @ColoradoTJ for the candid advice!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    aperezsh and Watt maker like this.
  7. Feb 11, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    Lindenwood

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ford is replacing the whole PCM (combo Engine / Transmission Control Module) under warranty. At least I know it should go another 6 weeks before forcing me to pull off the road again.

That said, they reported normal operation for the engine tick and transmission whine. So, either the 4Lo planetary gears are straight-cut, or the TCase will grenade in a few years and I'll get a new one I guess.

Thanks, Detroit.

I sold a 17yo Toyota for a brand new Ford, and both have forced me to pull off the road exactly once :p .

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. Mar 16, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    GasGasTXT

GasGasTXT New Member

Member:
    I've towed 9K long distance in the mountainous West (with a weight distributing hitch of course), and while the truck has great power and brakes, you always have the feeling that there's a considerable weight back there pushing you around, especially going down some long steep grade, engine braking in 2nd and it's still not quite enough (to avoid the use of friction brakes).

If I had to do it all the time, I'd be tempted to look at a Cummins/Aisin 3500 SRW, but man, I am worried about ending up with an FCA nightmare. My 2012/100K Tundra in contrast has had a grand total of 0 repairs, and it has not had an easy life. (Although it has had great maintenance).

I'm actually thinking about a smaller bumper-pull toy hauler, and the question again arises.. keep the old Tundra, or get a new TRD and bag it and just deal with the light weight tow vehicle, or maybe go Power Wagon or somesuch.. but I fear the Fiat.

9. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:31 AM
    rsgt

rsgt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 crew cab TRD sport 4x4
    all stock
    Trying to keep up with all the stupid little new features to keep people to buy new trucks kills the the R and D. ! Toyota is like Rolex they keep whats good and only change things to make it better !

10. Mar 17, 2019 at 4:01 AM
    Radioclash75

Radioclash75 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hooper
    Chicago area
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Sport 5.7FlexFuel. Black-Beauty
    Anyone have feedback about putting bags on rear suspension and if that improved handling other than the obvious squat issues?

11. Mar 17, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover
    I had narrowed down to a F250 or a Tundra. I slobbered all over that lariat f250, but ultimately decided that I was still a Toyota guy and went with the Tundra. I’m still jelly when I see those Super Duty’s. I love the looks of them, but I know I can depend on this truck and the resale value. I have a neighbor with a 17 Super Duty and a couple co-workers with 16-19’s, they all love them and report no issues other than issues related to the lift kits or larger tires they have installed.

Blueknights75 likes this.
  12. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    I bought a brand new 2014 GMC Sierra in 2013 for work and regretted it almost immediately. The damn thing broke on the way home from the dealer and that was just the beginning.

Loud rattling gets me pulled over by TSA at the airport week one of ownership.
    Eventually the loud rattle, I’m talking loud, turned out to be the exhaust flapper valve. They didn’t have parts so i had to wait on a Whole new exhaust system.

The transmission never worked correctly. It was Constantly hunting and slamming into gears or acting like it was slipping. (They said normal)

It would refuse to start on a Regular basis stranding me and or my crew with a security code. They never figured this out.

It would intermittently shake at idle after a few thousand miles. Not a light shake either, the whole truck would shimmy. This used to freak people out.

The ticking. The direct injectors in this thing were loud. I got annoyed explaining it to people at gas stations.

It died while driving on the freeway in the fast lane. To its credit it did restart in a hurry.

The evap core cracked and I lost the a/c.

The seat belt pretensioners broke.

I had a recall every 5k miles or so.

Drivers seat split and vinyl on the sides of the leather seat started to peel off.

Ball joints were toast.

Drivers door power lock motor died.

Anytime something was plugged into the sd card slot it would cause crash the infotainment system.

Frequently the infotainment system would crash while driving and I would get a blank screen. This rendered the climate controls and radio inop.

The backup camera worked when it felt like it.

The battery cables were rotten and had to be replaced

The list goes on but you get the idea. I always thought to myself “This has to be the last thing” but it never was. Finally at 48k miles I gave up and sold it. I miss the safety rating, the quiet comfort, the towing and payload Capacity, and a few other things. That said, I don’t miss the build quality.

And now for the ford!

I also have an f450 tow truck which was purchased new. It has 4K miles on it. The dashboard is melting and sticky. The dash is also warping toward the base of the windshield. It has a window shade in it most of the time. Quality is job one my ass.

Anyway, after all this nonsense I bought a tundra... no problems yet 2500 miles, Knock on wood.

NewImprovedRon and GasGasTXT like this.
  13. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    dlos

dlos Truckin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Off-Road
    Mods Mods Mods....
    I just got out of a 2014 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, really loved that truck right up until the end after it put us in "limp mode" for the 6th time in some tough situations including getting on interstates, passing vehicles. Ford either isn't certain of a fix for this or is and doesn't want to pony up to deal with it, instead their program is throwing parts at it (with your money). With 120k problem-free miles on it we decided it was just time to move on rather than chase a fix we learned wasn't going to happen. Sucks.

OP, that "transmission clunk" is most likely the slip yoke, a very very common problem in Ford drive trains. Mine started doing it at about 1500 miles new. Ford denied it was abnormal, which in hindsight makes sense since it is quite common in their truck lines. Their "fix" is to take it off, clean the splines and add some special grease. This only lasts a a few months then it starts right back with the clunking. It didn't ever appear to damage anything but was seriously annoying.

Payload can be increased with air bags or super springs (RAS also has a nice set of springs). I've used super springs and RAS, both increased payload, improved handling and eliminated 99% of squat when towing anything (we had a 6K lbs TT and still pull a 22' boat).

Bummer you're having problems with the new ride, I agree with going that route given the numbers you are working with. If you go to a Tundra, you might want to reconsider the trailer and go with something lighter?

14. Mar 17, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    Elevatormatt

Elevatormatt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    14 platinum tundra
    Trd dual exhaust
    That is why a WDH is a must on any large trailer. I have towed my 8900lb camper short distances without the WDH, and the difference is night and day. Once you weigh down the back of the truck, and start taking weight off the front, the truck does not handle well at all. But with the right hitch, set up properly, I feel I can tow plenty more weight.

15whtrd likes this.
  15. Mar 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    TTCrewmax

TTCrewmax New Member

Member:
    I have bags on mine and when towing I love them - level the ride and the pull is rock solid. It did make the non-loaded ride more harsh - but it's my towing rig and it is what it is...beats the hell out of driving a 1-ton everyday.

Products Discussed in

To Top