1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo issue

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Lowcountry4x4, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jan 11, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    It’ll all resolve itself in a timely manner. I’ve been in manufacturing and understand how easily this could occur. My beef is the manner in which it’s not being managed with the consumer. Toyota should’ve hired the former Customer Service director from Range Rover or Jaguar…they know how to coddle customers.

2. Jan 11, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    Lowcountry4x4

Lowcountry4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    good point. Honestly I think it’s reasonable for things to come up with this new release. What’s frustrating me is the prospect of not having a truck for a few months . Im just going to have to go for it and let fate decide.

Leo's first and SmokedMosquito like this.
  3. Jan 11, 2022 at 3:15 PM
    stevesgraytundra

stevesgraytundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Exactly right. Toyota waited forever to release this truck and they flopped. The MPG is not even close to the huge leap they intimated and Toyota trucks are bought for RELIABILITY, not huge touchscreens and Corinthian leather. They should have worked the bugs out for another year or two and got this RIGHT from day one. It is not as if they weren’t selling the V8s as fast as they could make them in 2021.

Joro43, vichmr, Monsterson and 4 others like this.
  4. Jan 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM
    stevesgraytundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Don’t get the F150. If you decide to go with a Ford, do yourself a favor and get the F250 with the 7.3 Godzilla engine.

5. Jan 11, 2022 at 3:21 PM
    stevesgraytundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    That’s how I do it. Paper is cheap if I want to print a hard copy too.

6. Jan 11, 2022 at 8:25 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Get your refund and move on, if they refuse start lemon law proceedings.

ryanwgregg and Leo's first like this.
  7. Jan 11, 2022 at 8:45 PM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    Every state has their specific Lemon Laws and having actually experienced a Lemon Law swap can attest to two things:
    A. No manufacturer wants one due to required “salvage” of VIN
    B. Most states have a minimum number of acceptable attempts to fix the same issue over a given period of time.
    None of us experiencing this waste gate issue with its delayed repair/parts availability fall within the typical Lemon Law parameters.

8. Jan 11, 2022 at 8:50 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    You don’t fall into them yet. Given Toyota’s bury head in sand approach so far you will eventually be there.

If SmokedMesquite can just get a refund within the first 30 days for an obviously defective truck, I would if I was him. Unless Toyota Financial services or Toyota Motor NA offer to make his payments for a couple of months until the truck is fixed. Sounds like they want to fuck over the customer, so if he can cut bait and run, now is the time.

If this is going to be an issue with poor initial reliability of major components we need to rub Toyota’s nose in the steaming turd they just laid on the floor.

Leo's first likes this.
  9. Jan 11, 2022 at 9:08 PM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    Not to be redundant, but Toyota Financial was an absolute joke. Spent over ten days cajoling the next manager up the food chain into seeing the honorable course of action for a an effectively DOA vehicle. Nada, zilch, nothing. All I wanted was for them to “toll” the lease until I’d actually taken receipt of the “reciprocal consideration”.
    Shameful behavior for a culture in which Honor is the underlying tenant for all behavior. Maybe they’ve lost their way.

10. Jan 11, 2022 at 10:31 PM
    texmln

texmln New Member

Member:
    So here we are. Seems like just yesterday when people who said "never buy the first year of a new model" and "turbos are going to give you trouble - stick with NA" were derided as old-timers who know nothing about modern cars.

What do you guys who might be out of a truck for several months think about that advice now? Do you still think it's nonsense or are you starting to figure out the people giving out that advice have been around the block a few times and seen this all before? In case you missed it, NEVER buy the first year of a new model. NEVER buy a turbo.

11. Jan 11, 2022 at 10:39 PM
    bigjuice

bigjuice Researching and collecting parts…

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    Well some of us have to be the Guinea pigs right?

In all seriousness…I think those of us who bought/still buying are mostly aware anything can happen with new models and break in periods so I won’t say NEVER.

I am on my 3rd new model vehicle in 8 years with a Subaru, Volvo and now Tundra and I would do it again (here’s looking at you Rivian SUV)…
    …it sucks to be out of a vehicle or get hit with first model year issues (I feel bad for all affected and hope it doesn’t happen to me) but I think we all made the conscious decision and some would do it again.

12. Jan 11, 2022 at 10:40 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’ve owned two turbocharged vehicles and they were just fine. That said I wasn’t buying the first model year of the turbocharged engine in question.

vichmr, TampaRD Pro and Leo's first like this.
  13. Jan 11, 2022 at 10:43 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yep, they’re in “fuck the customer” mode right now. Never a good decision when the word gets out.

So making the whole process as transparent and widely known as possible from the perspective of the customer who is getting fucked over is pretty important.

14. Jan 12, 2022 at 1:07 AM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    Amen. And to think the cost to them for the opposite course of action would’ve been literally a rounding error financially.

15. Jan 12, 2022 at 2:44 AM
    jeman022004

jeman022004 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM TRD Off-road
    That is similar to what I was thinking. I came from a gas F250 which had the same mpg as my Tundra. I hope to keep my Tundra for a very long time. If I had to replace it today, I would go for a gas 3/4 ton+ model from Ford or GMC/Chevy over the new Tundra until they start to figure the problem out. I am confident Toyota will figure it out, but who knows how long they will take with the current shortage of parts. I don't understand why they couldn't just throw a 10 speed transmission on the 5.7 with a re-geared rear differential as an option. Those two things alone could've added at least a few more mpgs. I am definitely replacing my wife's sequoia this year so we can still get the 5.7 and hope to repeat 11 years without visiting the dealer.

DZ_, Joro43, vichmr and 6 others like this.
  16. Jan 12, 2022 at 3:36 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    I went through a lemon law buyback with Toyota. Believe me they’re going to buy it back before it gets labeled lemon so they can resell it. Also check the time frame it’s out of service. In some states if it’s out of service for 30 or more days you can file the lemon law claim

17. Jan 12, 2022 at 4:00 AM
    TF_CC

TF_CC New Member

Member:
    Well, someone needs to set me straight, please...
    Isn't the new Tundra engine the same twin turbo V6 that's been powering the Lexus LS 500 and Toyota Avalon for years? It's been a near bullet-proof engine.
    Am I wrong?

J3923 likes this.
  18. Jan 12, 2022 at 4:07 AM
    RavingOx

RavingOx Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum in Black
    It’s the internet, man. If two people are talking, one of them has to be wrong. I appreciate you owning it.

Mattedfred and TF_CC[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Jan 12, 2022 at 4:17 AM
    TakiEvo

TakiEvo New Member

Member:
    Allentown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD Sport Crewmax White
    Only the 2018+ Lexus LS500 I believe. So fairly new engine. I hoping these “waste gate issues” are just a simple software flash. I was looking at the DTC code on the work order someone posted in the official 3rd gen thread and there code came up as the Bank 1 side turbo waste gate stuck closed in the Toyota repair manual. So decided to look up the code myself on Toyota repair manual. Basically the ECM is detecting voltage out of range at the electronic waste gate when it should be closed. IMO it could be simple flash and the software was glitching where it might be off voltage by a bit and the waste gate was mechanical fine. Not sure how the Toyota tech are checking the waste gate but I’ve seen some techs just slap parts hoping for best. That’s why they try to replicate it and sometimes it doesn’t happen again, that’s why some places just clear codes and sends it back out after driving it for awhile. I’ve done my fair share of ECM flashes to fix GM and Chrysler to fix CEL. Work on mainly fleet vehicles that are ~2 years old all day. I’m watching the TSB and Service campaign for Toyota basically everyday as my 2022 is coming soon. :goingcrazy:

J3923, Black Wolf, Acedude and 3 others like this.
  20. Jan 12, 2022 at 5:18 AM
    Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks New Member

Member:

Just an observation on that.....everything is all peaches right now since the trucks are under warranty, but those that want to keep a truck past warranty you may want to check how much this repair or replacement costs and budget accordingly. I can bet the shop is gonna charge you for the time of engine removal even while actually performing the repair by taking the cab off... I would be curious how many billable hours this calls for and parts cost. You can bet if you are gonna keep it for a while, you will have to replace one of those components.

21. Jan 12, 2022 at 6:36 AM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    Absolutely spot on…they do not want to salvage the VIN #

SmokedMosquito likes this.
  22. Jan 12, 2022 at 6:41 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    This. Not every state is # of repairs. It’s an and/or deal. In North Carolina if it’s out of service 20 business days in a 12 month period it can be lemon.

23. Jan 12, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    SmokedMosquito

SmokedMosquito New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    Yup the 30 days is the kicker that I was missing initially. With the part being on backorder for who knows how long this may be my best leverage.

Gunship Guy, Henry1jg and Mattedfred like this.
  24. Jan 12, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    It may be helpful for those who do experience this while under warrantee, to share the invoice’s billing hours so as to have evidence of the matter in hand should they find themselves in this predicament post warrantee

25. Jan 13, 2022 at 9:18 AM
    OnThaLake

OnThaLake New Member

Member:
    About 2 months ago I had my Infiniti Q60 at the dealership for basic maintenance.
    On the rack next to my car was a Q50. With the entire drivetrain removed. Asked my service advisor what was going on: "when these cars have turbo issues, it's an engine-out ordeal. Pretty common on these cars, actually". So I'm thinking I might jump off the Infiniti bandwagon and go to Toyota.
    Looking into the LS500, same issue. When the TTV6 has a turbo issue, engine-out.

When I heard the Tundra was getting the TTV6, I assumed there'd be enough room to service the turbos in-vehicle. Obviously, not the case.

Those Tundras with the stupid dual-stacked hood scoops just keep looking better everyday.

Oh, and btw, "back in the day" Toyota, Nissan, Honda used to build most parts in house, and outsourced items were usually done through companies they either partially or wholly owned.
    Nowadays it's pretty common for these vehicle manufacturers to use a very diverse group of suppliers, and much fewer items are made "in-house" than 20+ years ago.

Silver17 likes this.
  26. Jan 13, 2022 at 9:39 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    If I still have my truck in 10 years & 150k+ miles (which I plan to) and I have to replace a $5000 component...I'll be fine with that. Because 1) It's cheaper than buying a new vehicle and 2) I expect big repairs like to the come along eventually after long-term ownership. I don't want things like this to happen, but if they do happen post-warranty period, I don't damn the vehicle as a POS because of it. By that time in the vehicle's life, I'll consider it that I got my money's worth out of the truck. It's the same mindset I have with my house and other things.

I did purchase the 10 year/125k extended warranty because I plan on owning this truck for a long time. I've done the same thing with my previous Toyotas: 2005 Taco w/ 250k miles (Sold after 12 years) and my 2012 4Runner w/ 120k miles (still own it after 9 years). I keep my vehicles for a long because I think of them as investments and not toys or status symbols to be "upgraded" every couple of years. That being said, I know a great many folks don't share this same mindset...which is totally cool.

27. Jan 13, 2022 at 9:53 AM
    Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks New Member

Member:
    If a $5000 repair becomes common on a toyota vehicle at 150K you may not deem it a POS or a dud, but 99% of the Truck buying public will....

Joro43, vichmr, Cjames17 and 10 others like this.
  28. Jan 13, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    Then I weep for our society because I guess more people have the "Throw It Away" mentality than I thought. Pity.

St2946, AircareTundra and damnfingers like this.
  29. Jan 13, 2022 at 10:18 AM
    pursuit2550

pursuit2550 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 DC Attitude Black
    Cheaper than a turbo and also available. Just saying.

30. Jan 13, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    C.I.

C.I. Surf, off road, sleep, repeat

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar Pedrin
    Cabo, Mx
    Vehicle:
    2016 5.7 4x4 Bronze Crewmax
    Mods: Ongoing... probably never ending
    In the meantime, we can tow fallen brothers with our dinosaur tech ;)

Joro43, Terndrerrr, snivilous and 7 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top