1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo issue

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Lowcountry4x4, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jan 30, 2022 at 8:55 PM
    Blackwatch

Blackwatch New Member

Member:
    I'm not sure you're allowed to tell like it is here. There seems to be so many who drank the Toyota coolaid and whatever they produce they will defend it to the death. Diesel turbos seem to perform ok due to low temperature. But how many gas turbos make it 300,000+ miles? I saw someone on here say I don't really mind the $5000 turbo repair cost I just don't want my family stuck in the middle of nowhere. Who has an extra $5000 that they don't mind p!ssing away on a poorly designed turbo? Well, I'm glad they are rich or don't value money like I do but don't presume to tell me that it's ok for the most reliable car company in the world to produce a sh!tty product on the name of their reliability. I'll buy a 6.2 Silverado and save $10,000 before I give that kind of money to a company pushing turbo garbage on us and hoping their years of prehistoric car technology mated to reliable and boring underperforming powertrains will persuade us to accept a truck with p!ss poor reliability. There is a major problem with these trucks. I know a lot of you paid over msrp and are waiting for the truck to be made and shipped but the one main thing that I and others were so worried about screwing up has actually screwed up big time. The production has been cut in half and they blame covid. At the same time their turbos are sh!tting the bed!
    I have a new 4runner on order and have loved Toyotas since the mid 80s. But I'm not a fanboy who will get behind everything they build and defend it. I wouldn't own a new Corolla because it drives like a Latvian Wheel barrow. Toyota isn't God, they screwed up. If They just came forward and were honest about the issue I would have more respect for them. One thing I will guarantee, the new twin turbo will never last 500,000 mile+ like the previous model. The turbo is planned obsolescence while they prepare for the NWO and all electric vehicles everywhere. It's not meant to last like the old school Toyota engines.

stevesgraytundra and 07DCLimited like this.
  2. Jan 30, 2022 at 8:58 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    So all the Toyota vehicles sold internationally for many years now that utilize turbocharging are unreliable? You do realize Toyota sells cars and trucks all over the world right?

Hell the Toyota Hilux has had a turbocharged engine available since 1982. The Land Cruiser has had a turbocharged engine variant since 1985. Those are unreliable because of turbos?

Hmmm that will be news to the rest of the world.

MaxMB, Texmech and Mattedfred like this.
  3. Jan 30, 2022 at 9:02 PM
    Blackwatch

Blackwatch New Member

Member:
    Are these diesel or gas engines? As far as I know the majority of Hilux and Lc turbo engines are diesel and very reliable and not emissions compliant with the US.

4. Jan 30, 2022 at 9:13 PM
    2WD

2WD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Army Green CM SR5 TRD Off Road
    This is the why the Tundra became what it is today and why this thread even exists.

Toyota doesn't want to do this, but they have to. Those Hilux design philosophies won't pass here.

It's why Toyota never brought a diesel to this market. They know better.

wexttxco likes this.
  5. Jan 30, 2022 at 9:15 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    Not sure what you’re talking about. Diesel turbos can routinely hit temps equivalent to a gasoline turbo.

blanchard7684 likes this.
  6. Jan 30, 2022 at 9:17 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    Was there at JN Friday and they have three identical black CM Platinums with the long beds and tow mirrors sitting together. The salesman told me they were sold to Bassmasters for their sponsorship trucks.

Texmech[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 30, 2022 at 9:55 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    They are Diesel engines.

High exhaust gas temperatures kill turbos, and cause other damage. Gas or diesel doesn’t matter, EGT’s are kept in check or they’re not. If they aren’t then bad shit is going to happen to that engine.

Toyota is between a rock and a hard place with the Tundra and other large vehicles. EPA emissions standards are cracking down on NOx and particulates. Unfortunately V8 engines do not do well with either even when fuel economy can be improved.

The Big 3 utilize cylinder deactivation to improve fuel economy and emissions. The 5.0L Ford has it now. Even Honda on the Ridgeline.

Within a few years NOx emissions standards will be almost impossible for current V8’s to pass.

So if Toyota kept a naturally aspirated V8 it would probably have cylinder deactivation. Which we know kills engines way faster, and more frequently than bad turbos.

Pick your poison. I’ll take turbos and frequent oil changes over displacement on demand and wiped out camshaft lobes, out of round cylinder bores, warped heads, and full engine replacements.

Texmech and winchester44 like this.
  8. Jan 30, 2022 at 9:57 PM
    5thgen

5thgen New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2024 limited trd crewmax
    There's really no other choice - I don't have a truck and need on this year.. Until one of the big three proves reliability, I just have this tundra to fall back to and hope that the turbo issue isn't widespread. Don't really care about the 500k, I just need it to last 200k, a number that is unattainable through the big 3.

9. Jan 31, 2022 at 3:44 AM
    Spanky22

Spanky22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited
    Fixed it for you :cheers:

MaxMB, PomDad, wired and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jan 31, 2022 at 4:38 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    You forgot the 3rd category: those who said “no f**king way am I buying a truck with a turbo charged gas engine!”.

11. Jan 31, 2022 at 5:24 AM
    Cock-A-Doddle-Do

Cock-A-Doddle-Do New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road CM -Super White
    Not that most can't afford a '22 or jealous, but that they are content with what they have...more like the ones that now have a '22 are trying to justify their decision of now owning a '22 with all the known issues the '22 is having...period!

12. Jan 31, 2022 at 5:53 AM
    Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks New Member

Member:
    I wouldn't say that is unattainable through the big 3...there are plenty of trucks out there from the big 3 with 200k on them. I would venture to say there are probably more trucks from the big 3 with 200k than there are total Tundras in existence. But I get the gist of what you are saying. Buy one of the HD trucks with a gas engine, every one of those that they are putting out, can put up big mileage with minimal fuss.

Tundrastruck91 and Lovetrucks like this.
  13. Jan 31, 2022 at 6:01 AM
    BlueprintYota

BlueprintYota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    22 Blueprint TRD Offroad
    I hope you have good luck with that. I sold a 6.2 RST for this. I had the truck 25k miles and EVERY one of them has a rear window leak. make sure to get hat fixed before it's a huge issue and the headliner goes. Most are seeing the lifters go within the first 20k miles. Mine not only saw that issue, but then burned 2.5qt of oil in the last 5k miles I owned it. I did like the options and features of the vehicle, but the 2022 tundra has all the tech that truck had and a few other features I liked with proven reliability. The difference with the lifter issues and the turbos is I trust Toyota to make good on any issues. With the rear window leak alone my truck was in the shop 15 days (takes about 2 hours to fix)... and Chevy gives NO LOANER CARS. I had to use my other car (luckily I had one). The service department was definitely lacking in the customer service aspect.

With a recall, Toyota has returned my cars with a full tank of gas and given a loaner and I know they made it right. With GM I just hope they acutally fixed it. That's the difference.

MoneyMan55, Nbarb01 and doublethebass like this.
  14. Jan 31, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    LOL... I guess it's a slow news day for real information about the 2022 turbo issue... so all the turbo haters have come out to play. IMO, This is going to end up being a great motor after a few growing pains... that I will let the early adopters take for the team.

vichmr and OnThaLake like this.
  15. Jan 31, 2022 at 6:34 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    I have cylinder deactivation on my 2016 Vette 6.2 L. It is a fantastic engine and I haven't had any lifter issues... but I am very leery of that system since so many folks do seem to have lifter failures. The automatic trans guys, who can't deactivate the system, seem to also have torque tube failures that might be attributed to the on and off DoD forces which would happen very frequently in city driving. IDK. But luckily my car is a M7 manual and you only have cylinder deactivation in the Eco drive mode which there simply is no need to use since I get 28 MPG in Tour mode on the highway. So I tried Eco mode once and it worked and was pretty unobtrusive. But that was a few years ago.

16. Jan 31, 2022 at 6:38 AM
    Cock-A-Doddle-Do

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    The day is still early

17. Jan 31, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    TF_CC

TF_CC New Member

Member:
    I'm afraid you nailed it. @raylo - and I say that with regrets...

Better chance than not I'll be pulling out of my 1794 deal - Ford's Powerboost twin Turbo rolled out last year seems to be, comparatively, a gem - and continuing again this '22 model year.

raylo[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 31, 2022 at 7:34 AM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    It is human nature for the ones who bought a 2021 to hate the 2022, to pat themselves on the back for their "good decision". Similarly for those who bought the 2022 to say "everything's gonna be alright" to validate their decision. It's ok, people do that. I only wish people would stick to the facts and not exaggerate their position (and wildly overstate opinions as facts). All the crap makes is more difficult for those of us who are trying to learn or monitor what is going on. And this should be the thread to do that.
    Or more succinctly stated: "Haters gonna hate, and love is blind, but less patting yourselves on the back on this thread, please."

19. Jan 31, 2022 at 7:53 AM
    Spanky22

Spanky22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited
    I'm very happy with mine, along with most here that actually own the truck. The majority of the complaints are from previous generation owners that don't own one.

We can make a great deal here....Those who own the truck don't need to justify their purchase and those that don't own the truck don't need to justify why.

20. Jan 31, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    RevereOverland

RevereOverland New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited TRD OR
    For people comparing temperatures of diesel exhaust to gas exhaust:

Diesel burns hotter than gasoline.

From my understanding, the reason diesel exhaust is typically cooler than gasoline exhaust is simply down to a diesel engine's efficiency and increased air. When you say a gasoline engine's exhaust is hotter, you're comparing naturally aspirated gasoline engine to a turbocharged diesel engine.

In your comparisons you need to take a diesel engine that gets ~20mpg and compare it to a gasoline engine that gets ~20mpg (like the 3.0L diesel in the Ram. 1500 and 3.5L turbo in the Tundra). Unfortunately I can't find any information that accurately compares the two exhaust temperatures, but I bet they're pretty similar.

21. Jan 31, 2022 at 8:05 AM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    A lot of modern diesels have EGT sensors.

22. Jan 31, 2022 at 8:05 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass New Member

Member:
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    is that the LT4 or LT5? didn't know the MT could turn off cylinder deactivation....

23. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:40 AM
    2WD

2WD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Army Green CM SR5 TRD Off Road
    Pretty spot on. But a lot of people are just mad at the change overall. It didn't have to be this way. They wanted the updated interior, the locker, screen tech, a few other new things paired with the old tried and true drivetrain (or at least have it be an option).

Compare this to when ford introduced a brand new, old tech, pushrod 7.3 V8 a couple years ago for Superduties.

I suppose it's the fate of all half tons and we're just coming to terms with it. The Hemi is going to be replaced by a straight 6 turbo.

doublethebass likes this.
  24. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:56 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    I have a 2016 C7 Z51 with LT1 motor, not the supercharged Z06 LT4 but I believe that works the same. Yup, MT only has DoD in Eco mode. Many AT guys buy the Range OBD plug-in device that can disable DoD.

doublethebass[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jan 31, 2022 at 10:55 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass New Member

Member:
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    Awesome, good to know.

26. Jan 31, 2022 at 11:24 AM
    PomDad

PomDad we having snacks?

Member:
    First Name:
    Conrad
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Limited
    I don't think it has to do with affording it, I think it's mostly a coping thing. People want to believe they made the 'right' decision, so when they make this new Tundra that's different, these people need to shit on it to justify their own version of the Tundra.

Reminds me a lot of video game consoles as a kid - "the Xbox/Playstation/GameCube is the best and everyone who bought the other console is clearly an idiot and making worse choices".

People get older but never really change.

doublethebass likes this.
  27. Jan 31, 2022 at 11:35 AM
    mountaingroan

mountaingroan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 DC VooDoo 4WD Bench!
    Yep, pretty well stated.
    Sick of reading the hate shit from the prior gen owners, and I really like the prior trucks of all gens! They are beasts in a good way.
    It's almost like a self-assurance that they did okay in opting for a style that is now a model year and redesign older. Gotta hate to make if somehow feel right.

Take it to the gen 1,2,2.5 forums, leave the gen 3 forum be.

28. Jan 31, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    In the last 2 weeks I’ve seen 4 2022 Tundras on the road . 2 silver , 1 red and 1 wind chill pearl . I was on the highway and they were going in the opposite direction so I couldn’t tell what trim they were .

29. Jan 31, 2022 at 12:01 PM
    Cock-A-Doddle-Do

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yet here YOU are "Hating" on the so called "Haters"...got it!

Toyotoholic likes this.
  30. Jan 31, 2022 at 12:25 PM
    mountaingroan

mountaingroan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 DC VooDoo 4WD Bench!
    Nah, no hate here; leave the triggered stuff out of it.

Many are just weary of the same mundane anti-'22 postings from the same guys in this dedicated Gen 3 forum. Let it go already for cripes sake.

JLS in WA and raylo like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top