1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo issue

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Lowcountry4x4, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jan 21, 2022 at 7:51 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    Exactly. And I am pleased that Toyota is taking such a thorough approach, which will benefit all future buyers. But I am sorry for you guys going through this.

JLS in WA likes this.
  2. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:14 AM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited

POSSIBLE major headache

3. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:30 AM
    Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m New Member

Member:
    It's one thing if Toyota is going to extremes (like removing the cab) to fully understand the issue.

It's quite another if the issue does require removing the cab...period. It's a lot of labor for Toyota and of course downtime for the customer, at the very least.

There there's the concern that it's going to be a very expensive proposition out of warranty.

Then there's going to be the inevitable comparison to the Ford F150 with their EcoBoost engines and costs associated with a similar repair. It does appear that removing the cab is not required.

Hopefully this issue won't tip the scale in the favor of Ford (and their numerous other issues), especially for someone who depends on their truck...daily.

4. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    I'm sticking with my previous statement: I suspect it's a minor manufacturing defect in a single batch that is impeding on the tolerances necessary for the software to activate the wastegate when appropriate. They've had to do a cab off in order to access the wastegate to check the tolerances and see if anything can be done to the actual component so the software can operate it properly. But I literally have no idea and am talking directly out of my ass.

ryanwgregg, Texmech and Terndrerrr like this.
  5. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks New Member

Member:
    The repair requires pulling the motor or removing the cab to access the part....take your pick....Dealers will pull cab (faster) Most DIY'ers will be stuck pulling the motor once the truck is out of warranty in 60K

6. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:53 AM
    Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m New Member

Member:
    Then for a lot of people who depend on their truck, this is an issue they're going to have to decide if it's worth putting up with.

Wastegates fail, it's not a new "thing". Failure is typically annoying, but a repair is relatively easy and usually not crazy expensive.

Toyota may have just raised the bar.

Texmech likes this.
  7. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:59 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    I'll reiterate my previous statement and add that I think that Toyota is going through this entire process in order to ascertain whether they can do one of the following in order to resolve the issue:

1. Correct the tolerances of the existing component.
    2. Reprogram the software for the affected vehicles so that the component functions properly despite the different tolerances.
    3. Replace the component with one with the proper tolerances.

All of these would take time and effort but save every single new Tundra owner a huge hassle compared to if Toyota had either ignored the problem or simply bought back the affected vehicles and scrapped them.

Sucks big time for those affected, but maybe the work they're doing is exactly what needs to be done.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    SWIPE and mountaingroan like this.
  8. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:07 AM
    Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m New Member

Member:
    Respectfully, you may be missing the point.

We have just found out that Toyota may have taken what was a simple repair, to a whole new level of complexity. If your expectation is that once there is a "solution", the wastegate will never again be a problem...you may want to review a few Ford forums.

We might not have known about this repair complexity until much later, if it hadn't been for the early failures. This is a big deal if the current repair methodology stands.

9. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Respectfully, you may have missed my point.

I'm not talking about known turbo or wastegate problems and repairs that currently exist. I'm assuming that Toyota has determined that a single batch of the wastegates was not manufactured within the tolerances necessary for the computer software to operate them properly. I'm not saying that any other turbo or wastegate issue may not happen to any TTV6 in the future. I'm commenting on this particular issue. I think this is a HUGE deal for affected owners but that it won't be for those who's Tundra's did not receive wastegates manufactured outside the necessary tolerances. As the complexity of the average passenger vehicle continues to increase I predict that these types of issues will become more common place with first runs of new models.

But, like I said, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

10. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Whats wrong with the Ford wastegates? They had a rattle issue, they were not straight up failing to work. AFAIK the rattle is the actuator arm being loose on the wastegate lever.

11. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:41 AM
    Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m New Member

Member:
    And they have been replaced...without removing the cab.

12. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Correct. Probably through the wheel well. I've pulled and reinstalled my turbos on my 2014. Takes about 3 hours with the wheel removed in my garage with harbor freight tools :rofl:

I can't believe they can't do that with the Tundra unless they made the frame rails so tight so that it could be used as a Land Cruiser and Tacoma frame too.

13. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:48 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    I don't think they're doing a cab off to remove them in order to replace them. Maybe having the cab off gives them unrestricted access to the entire wastegate and turbo section in order to access the situation, determine the problem and establish a corrective action, which may or may not mean replacement, in the end. I don't know!

14. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:49 AM
    Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m New Member

Member:
    It doesn't matter if there was a small batch, a medium sized batch, or a large batch of wastegates manufactured upside down, sideways, or inside out. The issue is the complexity of the required repair.

A failure, today, tomorrow, or 5 years from now, for any reason, would appear to require a costly repair procedure.

The point is that we would not have known about the apparent repair complexity if it hadn't been for the early failures.

Anyone considering purchasing a Gen 3 Tundra now has another data point to consider.

15. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    You're not getting it bud. We can move on anytime you'd like. I don't GARA.

It actually means everything if it is indeed an issue with a single particular batch of wastegates. I predict that's exactly what Toyota is trying to, or has already, determined.
    A costly repair for Toyota because the affected vehicles are all under warranty.
    If the issue is indeed incorrect tolerances then messing with the computer software then the issues most certainly would've been discovered quite quickly after the vehicle was put into service.

16. Jan 21, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Agree'd, other than apparently the service manual does say to remove the cab or motor. So if they are going "by the book" then they are.

I am simply arguing that its probably completely unnecessary, without having actually looked at the truck myself of course.

JLS in WA likes this.
  17. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:05 AM
    Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m New Member

Member:
    And yet...you're still here...Slick.

And an apparently costly repair for the customer...out of warranty...which you've yet to grasp the concept of.

It's pretty obvious who's "not getting it".

18. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Sure is. And, Slick was my father's name. Friends call me Ted.

Blang805, RavingOx and Totherion like this.
  19. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m New Member

Member:
    A legend in your own mind, are you?

20. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:11 AM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    There’s the wastegate actuator as seen from passenger side wheel well. You could probably replace the actuator yourself if you could get the parts. It’s not that hard to replace the turbo either from what I can see. Likely in the next few years we’ll hear about people swapping turbos and get more details about the how-to.

FD7419E1-3140-41FE-9A0C-2EAA5B74CF2E.jpg

21. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    stevesgraytundra

stevesgraytundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    A brand new truck in the shop for at least a month is usually a major headache.

22. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:27 AM
    SnowRunnerTundra

SnowRunnerTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
    but probably the actuator needs calibration too via TechStream?

OnThaLake likes this.
  23. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:30 AM
    Half track

Half track New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Western Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD, 38 gal tank
    Tow Mirrors
    Lets talk how great Ford is about fixing problems on there trucks.

It took Ford 3 years before they had plans to fix the problems with there 6.0 diesel engines, and had to recall every 6.0 truck from 2003-2006.
    Cab off on my 2006 F250 3 times.

My 2015 Ford F350 had a good engine but they could not fix the electrical problems, after 8 times in the shop. Problems started to happen at after 24 months.

Toyota will fix this problem in the next month, and you won't have to wait 3 years for a recall.

24. Jan 21, 2022 at 11:57 AM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Well there’s a good chance the frame is identical in that area to the Land Cruiser/LX 600 and probably the upcoming Tacoma and 4Runner.

That was a requirement of the TNGA-F platform.

25. Jan 21, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    The degree of uninformed speculation posited on this matter is almost comedic. If I made business decisions employing the same degree of ignorance as the genesis for the subsequent decision Tree, I’d be of no concern to any competitors.
    And so as to clarify; I’m one of the “wastegate” victims.

26. Jan 21, 2022 at 1:36 PM
    stevesgraytundra

stevesgraytundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Fake news! Uninformed speculation never happens in online forums. Never.

Texmech, TF_CC and Mattedfred like this.
  27. Jan 21, 2022 at 2:47 PM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    But the need to find continuing value in your past decisions (even if based on internet suppositions and partial information) is very normal. Congratulations to you!!

Mattedfred likes this.
  28. Jan 21, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Could be, we’ll find out at some point.

29. Jan 21, 2022 at 3:34 PM
    RavingOx

RavingOx Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum in Black
    Welcome from NC! Glad to see your shift key is working!

wexttxco and Mattedfred like this.
  30. Jan 21, 2022 at 4:04 PM
    winchester44

winchester44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794 4WD

Cab off maintenance aside, what do ya'll think of thing of dealer telling him his brand new TRUCK is bricked for best case 30 days, but "don't worry here's a Rav4 loaner" ?
    Some of us use these things for work. I just hauled a generator to my job site.

Do you all think there is more to the story from the dealer?

Also his points about interest are not wrong. $60K invested at 8% is $400 a month. Dealer got his money, but seems to want to be absolve themselves of as much responsibility as possible.
    Imagine you buy a new home from a builder and HVAC craps out Month 1. You make that warranty call to the builder and he says, afraid air conditioners are on backorder, but don't you worry we will get to you.
    Then walks next door to his jobsite and takes delivery of a brand new HVAC and sticks a For Sale sign in the yard. I know I know, life's not that simple, but man would I be steamed looking at that For Sale sign everyday.

Mattedfred, wexttxco and RavingOx like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top