1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo Charging A Tundra!

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by Black@Blue19, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Apr 2, 2024 at 3:21 AM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited 4x4 Turbokits.com Stage 1
    Turbokits.com Stage 1.5 kit (Precision 7675 + Intercooler) Innovate SCG-1 Boost Controller AEM water/methanol injection (500cc) Nitro 5.29s Powertrax Grip Pro Bilstein 5100 middle setting CB shims (2 driver, 1 passenger) Bilstein 5160 rears Firestone Ride-Rite bags Daystar cradles Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) HD TRD rear sway bar 18" TRD wheels 275/70r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W X2 Power Group 24 battery Power fold tow mirror (OEM) 20-row Setrab kit (formerly Genuine Cooling Systems 15-row kit) Valhalla's Shields (front/rear) Dirty Deeds Bamf 21" Stainless
    Jesse can speak to this more than me since I honestly haven't stopped to dive into all of that just yet. I'm viewing this as a bolt in product with a canned tune, similar to the TRD tune, that will keep the vehicle happy and safe enough.

IIRC, instructions said pre installed with the 500. We haven't set it up yet and I suspect that will be part of my first sets of logs to get it dialed in and matching their baseline.

Mdl, Black@Blue19[OP] and Jego like this.
  2. Apr 2, 2024 at 5:11 AM
    Mdl

Mdl Hey there...

Member:
    PNW, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SC'd
    JBA Longtubes, Snivs 2.0 SC pulley, ASP crank overdrive pulley 6.71 in, DD Full 3inch dual exhaust, Airbox mod, 4.5inch intake, Denso 750, 450 Walbro, W/M injection, GM 95mm TB, SABM, Camburg UCA, Icon shocks, DIY Traction Bars, Tuning by snivspeedshop.com
    Thanks. I went back an re-read the beginning of the thread. Answered my own question for stage1 and 2 what will happen with tuning.

3. Apr 2, 2024 at 5:43 AM
    Jego

Jego New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orlando
    PR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794
    Lift Kit HoodScoop Anytime Front & Backup Camera Interior & Exterior led Lights Wheel Spacers
    How much extra hose you needed to relocate the tank? What size is that hose? I am planning to install the tank in that same location for the same reason!

4. Apr 2, 2024 at 5:47 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    The stage 1 kit, runs water meth, stock inj & pump and makes 420-440 WHP and 480-500 WTQ at 4.5 PSI on a Precision 76mm Turbo. We use the middle nozzle, but have the progressive controller set to start spraying at 2 PSI and max out at 6 PSI, so at the 4-4.5 PSI range, you're right in the middle of the flow for that nozzle. We set it up this way for head room.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    Mdl[QUOTED], Jego and armyoffoo like this.
  5. Apr 2, 2024 at 5:50 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    The Stage II will upgrade to a front mount intercooler, 650cc injectors and in tank pump with targets in the 7-8 PSI range. We believe we will easily hit the 500WHP target here and closer to 550 Ft lbs to the Wheels. We will develop the kit WITHOUT the meth, but for anyone running the stage 1, they can gladly keep the meth working on the stage 2 and have a nice extra safety net! The Stage 2 development is 100% complete in terms of piping and fitment, we have some of the production pieces already to go. We are now finalizing the tune to get everyone results!

6. Apr 2, 2024 at 5:50 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    Yessir... Looking forward to it!

Jego likes this.
  7. Apr 2, 2024 at 5:52 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    AEM Sells an extra 20ft section for about $14. If anyone needs more, just let us know when you order the kit and we'll get it added in - AEM 30-3314 AEM V3 Water/Methanol Hose Kit (aemelectronics.com)

bflooks and Jego[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Apr 2, 2024 at 6:50 AM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    Anyone with the turbo kit installed and a dragy to record 0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile etc. that would like to be part of a PM that some of us boosted members have going can let me know and you can be added.

ZPhilip, Jego, ssmokedz and 3 others like this.
  9. Apr 2, 2024 at 7:44 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    Definitely on the Todo list :)

10. Apr 2, 2024 at 8:32 AM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    Turbokits.com Stage 1.5 kit (Precision 7675 + Intercooler) Innovate SCG-1 Boost Controller AEM water/methanol injection (500cc) Nitro 5.29s Powertrax Grip Pro Bilstein 5100 middle setting CB shims (2 driver, 1 passenger) Bilstein 5160 rears Firestone Ride-Rite bags Daystar cradles Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) HD TRD rear sway bar 18" TRD wheels 275/70r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W X2 Power Group 24 battery Power fold tow mirror (OEM) 20-row Setrab kit (formerly Genuine Cooling Systems 15-row kit) Valhalla's Shields (front/rear) Dirty Deeds Bamf 21" Stainless
    about 10' with nearly half of that extra getting cut after routing from pump to injector. as Jesse stated, AEM sells the tubing in 20' sections as well. You'll want nearly an entire 20' section for the tank to the pump, and I'd encourage you to do that longer run first so you have a second full spool available should you have an incident like mine. I'll post the AEM part # shortly. I'm also about to confirm if the local parts store 1/4" nylon tubing is a match. Per AEM support, this is their only spec with nothing special noted.

11. Apr 2, 2024 at 9:03 AM
    Jego

Jego New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orlando
    PR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794
    Lift Kit HoodScoop Anytime Front & Backup Camera Interior & Exterior led Lights Wheel Spacers
    Nice, thanks for the info!

TurboKits.com likes this.
  12. Apr 2, 2024 at 10:27 AM
    Mdl

Mdl Hey there...

Member:
    PNW, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SC'd
    JBA Longtubes, Snivs 2.0 SC pulley, ASP crank overdrive pulley 6.71 in, DD Full 3inch dual exhaust, Airbox mod, 4.5inch intake, Denso 750, 450 Walbro, W/M injection, GM 95mm TB, SABM, Camburg UCA, Icon shocks, DIY Traction Bars, Tuning by snivspeedshop.com
    Your first camping trip will let you know how much w/m you will use and extra to bring for your trip. I have an extra jug or 2 depended on where im going. I usually refill every 2-3 re-fueling, longer if I stay out of it using the 500cc pintle.

13. Apr 2, 2024 at 11:51 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    Great info! This is about the interval we are seeing on our 2014 and what we would expect as well.

Jego and Mdl[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Apr 2, 2024 at 1:35 PM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    Small bit of unexpected progress today.

Found 1/4" nylon tubing locally, and wouldn't ya know it, it got ran and the pump is now connected on both ports. Won't be able to finish the install of that line until the system has been purged before connecting to the nozzle.

Also was able to finish installing the tank completely as a result. Ended up looming everything in the back corner and drilling a hold in the back of the mount and adding a grommet to protect the line better. Install doesn't look too bad and I need to decide if I want to keep the loop or attempt to get everything zip tied across the bottom of the bracket (it's a tight bend on the tubing).

Glad to be able to close up the garage since I can't open the tailgate with the door closed and we have some foul weather coming in.

My list of pending items:
    Finish wiring in the cab for both AEM and SCG
    Fill engine oil
    Purge and prime the turbo
    Purge the AEM
    Pretty up the engine bay a bit
    Load tune
    Ribbon cutting ceremony (start the truck)

@Jego - AEM P/N 30-3314 or NAPA P/N D1040401

PXL_20240402_195905891.jpg PXL_20240402_195853277.jpg

eccracer104, reywcms, Mdl and 4 others like this.
  15. Apr 2, 2024 at 2:20 PM
    Jego

Jego New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Orlando
    PR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794

Nice and thanks for the part #!

TurboKits.com likes this.
  16. Apr 2, 2024 at 8:07 PM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    We have had quite a few questions and requests for data in regard to towing with the Stage 1 and needing/wanting an intercooler and if there will be a stage 1.5 kit, meaning a Stage 1 kit, with an intercooler, to fill the gaps between the kits, etc, etc. Let me try to get the info out in the open so we can all discuss!! :thumbsup:

First and foremost, we don't actually know yet. BFlooks has stepped up to help us answer those questions (Thanks Bri!). And as we have from the beginning, we will dump all the data that we have here and be as transparent as possible about the process. That way, when the average tundra owner is comparing turbo -vs- SC or even deciding to stay stock. They, us and everyone, will have the information needed to make the appropriate decision for their specific planned usage.

Stage 1 Kit: The reason we pushed through the issues we did when developing the stage 1 kit (if you think about it, we stuffed a turbo, blow off valve, MAF sensor, water meth nozzle and throttle body all in the span of about 12"), is that we believe it will serve to be an amazingly responsive, straightforward to install, low boost kit, that will satisfy a large chunk of weekend warrior tundra owners for light duty use. As well as be one of the lowest cost entries into Forced induction available. The thought process on towing is this; if what you are towing, wouldn't have been felt behind the truck when it was stock, then the Stage 1 really shouldn't have any downsides. Furthermore, even heavier duty towing, like BFlooks will be testing, will prove to be fine for shorter trips, maybe an hour or 2. The concerns with a heavier tow, isn't about the truck, or the motor or the kit handling it, but about how much time you spend in boost and how much water meth is used. It's an inconvenience concern revolving around stopping to fill the meth tank. We may find, with this testing, that this is less of a concern than we are originally thinking, and that data and BFlooks feedback will answer those questions.

Stage 1.5 Kit: We aren't quite sure this will be an option. Since the full stage 2 kit would only be a set of injectors and fuel pump difference anyway. However, I am sure we will be able to offer a solution tailored really to any Tundra owner's needs. Bflooks has also agreed to do some longer duration, heavy haul towing test running the "Stage 1.5" which is essentially the Stage 1 kit, but with an intercooler. This way, the meth usage becomes a non-issue for the multiple hour trip into the mountains. He can now rely on the intercooler for charge air cooling and still enjoy the solid gains at a low and safe boost level. Furthermore, this had all been pre-planned with BFlooks, before anything shipped. He will be towing, iirc, an 8K camper, loaded with a family into the white mountains twice or 3 times over the summer. These will be amazing tests and invaluable feedback for us and the kit and the forum! We will take this feedback, the logs, the good and the bad and get the results here not only for us, but for the whole community to make an informed decision with which one of our kits best suits their needs.

Stage 2 Kit: This will be full kit, intercooler, injectors, pump, 7-8 PSI, 600HP (500WHP), 650TQ (550+WTQ) set up that will make the most power of our kit offerings and with the intercooler and injectors and pump, there is plenty of headroom for some serious heavy-duty towing, without the complexity of making sure you have enough meth for trip.

Water Meth In General: We love it, we have done multiple kits over the years that run meth, some as the ONLY cooling, others as additional fueling and cooling and some for just an added safety net. Meth is like running 100oct fuel, but only when you are in boost, so you get all of the benefits of essentially race fuel, with is detonation protection, etc, but without the $20 / gal price tag. Also, when you are out of boost, you aren't using meth, so it's also 100 oct on demand. Add the charge cooling benefits to the mix, like how it's used on the Stage 1 kit, and it adds as a huge safety blanket over the whole system, and one can start to see it's a no brainer on any forced induction application, SC included. We often refer to a Water/Meth kit as "cheap insurance".

Anyway, good or bad, success or failure, we will be posting everything. So stay tuned (pun intended) and follow this post for updates. And if anyone has ANY questions. Feel free to ask. Solid discussion only serves to help everyone!

17. Apr 2, 2024 at 9:24 PM
    Mdl

Mdl Hey there...

Member:
    PNW, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SC'd
    Definitely cheap insurance! Why I have it I incorporated in my setup. I'm all behind you getting this going on the Tundra. Like you stated there are many deviations one can take to have a solid setup.

18. Apr 3, 2024 at 5:49 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    Absolutely and we understand that the Supercharger is entrenched into the Tundra culture since the factory TRD option up through all of the aftermarket ones. So it will take some time for people to pivot and understand the benefits on the turbo side of things. So far on the Stage 1, we are seeing great HP for the lower PSI and close to SC TQ #s at only 4.5 PSI. A turbo is exponentially more customizable in terms of HP, boost levels, tuning, etc on the fly. A perfect example is with BFlooks truck, we sent a 1.5 PSI spring and the SCG1 boost controller. We will use the boost controller to dial in the 4ish PSI on his truck. But if while he is towing, something isn't functioning properly, or we see something we don't like, we can dump boost to spring rate (1.5 PSI) and keep it low and safe until we address and correct the issue. Not that we expect any really, but more an explanation of how dynamic boost is. Plus, with the same hot side, turbo, wastegate, BOV, etc. You can rotate the turbo compressor from stage 1 and install a stage 2 intercooled set up with injectors and pump and just turn up the boost. If you are running the stage 2 and have a heavy tow planned, turn the boost down to 4-5 for added safety, if you want to go to the track and have some fun, turn the boost up. The possibilities are really endless as to where the owner wants to take his specific truck and we can put a package together to fit almost any plan. The kit is super modular, since the base parts stay the same throughout most HP goals and configurations. :thumbsup:

reywcms, Terndrerrr, Silver17 and 5 others like this.
  19. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:08 AM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for covering a lot of this, Jesse! I think the important thing for people to remember is that I am a tester, for something the shop hasn't really been able to cover, and that's the towing in the 90% range for hours.

For everyone's awareness, I'm also concerned about being solely dependent upon water/meth. So much so that I've already confirmed the 5 gallon tank is just a bolt in with the same sensor and tubing.

As Jesse and I were talking through things, my requirements were pretty simple. Don't strand me and my family and don't force me to stop hourly carrying a drum of water/meth. That discussion led us to the much lighter spring, and I'm good with that because I suspect that low of boost will allow me to find a safe exit if not finish the trip to triage.

For the testing, we have a crawl, walk, run method in place that will minimize the risk to me and the family while gaining tons of relevant data. As I stated in my introductory post, I'm much closer to them (~2 hours), and Jesse has the dates for the tests. He and his team are standing by during the tows to triage. With any luck, they may be able to do some real-time remote monitoring, depending on cell service.

We're both very curious about the injector duties and as Jesse explained, the intercooler on this setup is well known and understood. So much so, that we'll be answering questions about the 19-21 external trans cooler mounting, since that is also a requirement for that part of this journey.

This is the first release to the wild, so please bring questions, thoughts, or concerns to the table. For me, if I'm going to fail, I'd rather fail fast so Jesse can get back to the drawing board before my final test which is a 6'is hour tow through the mountains to northern Maine, and then back about a week later.

So far, I've heard concerns about:

1. Water/meth capacity and dependence
      • On it!
    2. EGT
      • Copy, Jesse can weigh in, but I think clearing the factory exhaust in favor of a high flow cat helps mitigate
    3. Engine compartment and IAT heat soak
      • Also curious about engine compartment
      • There is a plan for mitigating IAT, but testing will proof it out
    4. Injector Duty Cycles
      • Copy and Jesse can weigh in more.
      • Testing will show all of these issues and I'll find out real fast if I'm a low boost Stage 2 person as a result.
    What did I miss?

eccracer104, Silver17 and Jego like this.
  20. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:16 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    Well put and exactly what we have discussed! We're with you side by side during this and look forward to all the data, so we can address anything thats needed!

Jego and bflooks[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Apr 3, 2024 at 8:06 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    1) This will all depend on how much the turbo needs to work to pull his 8k, if it comes into play only on hills and head winds, the usage maybe much less than expected, if at highway speeds, it's constantly in boost and spraying, then it's a different story. The first test will be for BFlooks to get his camper out on the road for some varied driving tests while logging; stop and go, back roads, highway speeds, hills etc. Just him and a laptop, so if anything does happen, it doesn't ruin a family trip. If that checks out, then there is a shorter trip planned about an 1hr+ each way, at highway speeds, with plenty of traffic and long hills (we are in New England!). This should give us SOLID data for a decently heavy tow for the Tundra.

2) Yes, correct, the exhaust is freed up tremendously, so we don't foresee any issues there.

3) IATs are a bit trickly to read due to the location of the MAF on the Stage 1, they will artificially read high, because they aren't taking into account the water meth. We wouldn't want to spray the water meth before the MAF, as this could cause premature MAF failures over time. Once an intercooler is added it's a moot point, as the intercooler does all the work and the MAF is after the intercooler so it sees accurate IATs. Again, when we developed the Stage 1 kit, we were not expecting it to be for heavy use haulers, BFlooks just has a brass set and is willing to get us the data! LOL

4) We are seeing duty cycles well under 80% for most of the power band, it's only when we get up and over 5000 RPMs does it dip into the mid 80% and 90% range. Keep in mind, we have meth doing some of the work as well, so there is a huge safety net over it all. Also, one of the benefits of how the turbo is set up, is that we are able to index the rail FPR to the boost signal, couple that with the water meth and yes, we are able to get more flow from the factory set up than a traditional FPR seeing vacuum only.

Here is the screen shot of the log from that SUPER loaded DYNO run. The one that actually changed our mind on the whole towing with the Stage 1 kit thought process. In the meat of the power 2.5K to 5K, the duty cycles are mint, they tapper higher at the top, yes, but look at the speed and load, I would hope no one would be pulling 8K at 115 MPH! Not to mention there is water meth on top helping keep everything in check.

In all reality, at 4 PSI, were barely blowing a kiss to this motor. I'd bet you could install the kit and not even tune it and the truck would stay together for years. Now, if we were at the top end of what the drivetrain could handle for power, then the conversation would be different. Hence why the Stage 2 will have an intercooler, injectors and pump. But for the Stage 1, a solid 100HP and 125TQ gain at 3-4 PSI. We are well within the realm of safety and reliability. Heck, our 2014 had 126K miles on it when we put the turbo on and now has 136k miles in only 8 months. These are HARD miles too, a quick count shows well over 200 logs taken, analyzed and adjusted during the tuning process, some running to redline at less-than-ideal timing and fuel, just to get the data to the tuner. I doubt that most end users will put a beating on their truck, harder than we have on our 2014.

Anyway, here is the screen shot. Please ask any questions!

Jego and Black@Blue19[OP] like this.
  22. Apr 3, 2024 at 10:19 AM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    This question is a bruiser but I expect full transparency... How long does the flavor of the turbo gum last?

23. Apr 3, 2024 at 10:28 AM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    I have yet to test it but will report if I do. :)

24. Apr 3, 2024 at 10:40 AM
    TurboKits.com

TurboKits.com New Member

Member:
    About this long!!! LOL. We can only find them online, usually from Poland. But my 6yo loves coming to the shop and getting his turbo gum, to see what cool car is inside. How do I say no to the little guy!

upload_2024-4-3_13-40-12.png

eccracer104, bflooks, Jego and 3 others like this.
  25. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:00 PM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    All wiring is done (soldered and shrink wrapped) and systems tested.

AEM is pumping great and I'm happy with the location of the LED from my driving position. The LED is the only interior connection with disconnects. The system has been purged and is fully connected and ready.

SCG sensor is calibrated, but unfortunately, my temporary mount was a fail, so I'm running the zip tie until I decide where to final mount it. I'm hoping to score one of the vent mounts, but we'll see. I just did the grab handle and don't want to put holes in the panel if it's not my final location.

Oil was filled and I was able to purge the oil line.

So, new list is to prime the turbo, load the tune and fire it up.

Since there's not much to show for all of this, here's a few photos of the AEM interior locations. I am happy to have the interior back together and the wiring behind me (except for some looming in the engine bay).

PXL_20240403_155545804.jpg PXL_20240403_155536055.jpg PXL_20240403_161651417.jpg PXL_20240403_234524502.jpg PXL_20240403_234504109.jpg

MTRock, Jego, TurboKits.com and 3 others like this.
  26. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:38 PM
    Mdl

Mdl Hey there...

Member:
    PNW, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SC'd
    The vent location seems to work for those that have them, mine is an 07. Good location for the activation light too. It shows up nice when lit even in moderate sunshine. Different location but is noticeable.
    Screenshot_20240403_193604.jpg

27. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:50 PM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 [OP] Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    24 Camaro SS 6.2 Liter Loaded
    To much to list:)
    Good on ya!!:) you should enjoy the finished product!

28. Apr 3, 2024 at 8:14 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Link to ac vent pod. I use this one and it's great.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1588004202/toyota-tacoma-n300-3rd-gen-tundra-vent

20231119_160044.jpg

29. Apr 3, 2024 at 8:17 PM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    So close! Then nothing but time to tidy up a few loose ends. Good camping tasks to chip away at.

Jego and Mdl like this.
  30. Apr 3, 2024 at 8:18 PM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    AZTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top