1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

@TundraTex's FRAC harness (Front/Rear Anytime Camera) Install/Review

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BlueBottle, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Oct 8, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    Not sure on the amperage but I wired it up the way I said, grounded it where recommended in the engine compartment ant it works great.

TundraTex likes this.
  2. Oct 8, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    Same....I've had no issues

TundraTex likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2017 at 9:05 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Hey all. I was offline for a couple days, so I'm just catching up on weekend posts.

Regarding the camera power question. The FRAC harness provides a front cam power lead that is tied to an ignition power source in the Head Unit. So when the Head Unit has power, so does the front camera. This is the same power source used for the factory rear camera (though the HU drops it to 6 volts for the rear factory cam) and as suggested earlier, this means that both cameras always have power when the HU has power. This approach ensures that the video is instantly available from the camera (with no "warm-up" time required) whenever the camera video is selected for display. These cameras are based on the same technology as most security/surveillance cameras - which are always on, so the issue of burning out seems to be a bit of internet lore. Toyota wired theirs that way, so I followed suit in my design.

I included the power lead in the FRAC harness to make it easier for the majority of people installing, as most cameras come with an RCA cable that includes an integrated power line. For most people, that is an easier installation and connection to make than finding and tapping into an ignition source under the hood. So it's also less room for error.

My camera draws milliwatts of power and the FRAC harness has an inline 2A fuse - which is more that adequate for the FRAC switching functions. If you are using an alternate source of power for the front camera, everything should still work just fine in terms of the FRAC video switching. But, if you are blowing 2A fuses with that camera installation, then something is definitely amiss. I would check for chaffing or fraying of your camera power line. Perhaps it has an intermittent short to the chassis somewhere along the installation path. No grill camera that I've seen requires any where near that much power.

Now, I'm off to read the other posts I've missed. Amazing what can happen in a couple days away. I'm excited to see more happy FRAC customers getting their harnesses installed and functioning!

Tex

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. Oct 8, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    @Stig, did you blow the FRAC 2A fuse? What happened right before the fuse blew? I'm guessing there was a spark? If so, then I would definitely check the included power lead, if you don't use it, to make sure that it is taped up and not able to intermittently come into contact with the vehicle or HU chassis. That lead has 12 volts on it when the HU is powered. It was intented to be connected and insulated for normal operation, so if it's not, it could cause some issues.

That same power source also feeds the camera selection switch. So make sure that the 3 wires in your Red/White/Blue switch harness are not chaffed and that their terminals are firmly connected to the cam select switch lugs. Any intermittent contact with any of those wires and ground could also blow the fuse. Depending on how you routed those wires, they could have been scraped somewhere along the path.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Stig, 4x4_Angel and BlueBottle[OP] like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply Tex. I'll check everything tonight and pick up a 2 amp fuse so I'm not running the 7.5.

I did not seal up the unused power cable, I kind of doubt that that it made electrical contact to something but you never know. I'll seal that up anyways.

Could be the 3 wires to that switch like you said. Because I tested everything multiple times along that he hehe way, and the first time it didn't work (when that hehe hehe fuse blew) was after I put the dash back together. So yes, maybe a wire got pinched.

Drove with it this morning with thatheheheheogetherhe rear camera on, gives a nice view to both blind spots.

TundraTex likes this.
  6. Jun 9, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    Prerunnertundra15

Prerunnertundra15 New Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sr5 crew max
  7. Nov 12, 2018 at 4:07 AM
    wyone

wyone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC
    dashcam... more to come
    well you could use math to find the actual angle. Measure to the outside points on each end, and then how far between them and how high the camera is, those numbers will give you the angle using math. :)

8. Aug 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    1794-BlackTundra

1794-BlackTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tundra 1794 Edition CM
    Rhino Linings, Smittybilt 11500 Winch (Internal), BAKflip MX4, RotopaX, MaxTrax, ARB Simpson III tent, Old Man Emu suspension, TRD rims, Pioneer Platform with Rhino-Rack Backbone System
    Hey @TundraTex! Not sure if this has been addressed before...

I'm planning on replacing my head unit with a Kenwood Excelon DDX9906XR will the harness still work as expected? This is the additional hardware I'll be getting. I've been doing some research on my own, run into this Youtube video which illustrates the front/back camera functionality.

But obviously I don't want to mess things up so I rather ask the expert :thumbsup:

Thanks for your time :hattip:

9. Aug 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle [OP] not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    There’s no reason it shouldn’t work on an aftermarket radio. It still uses the same connectors. But don’t quote me on that. That being said most aftermarket radios have a front camera input. Just something to think about. Just check the model you are looking at.

10. Aug 20, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    1794-BlackTundra

1794-BlackTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tundra 1794 Edition CM
    Rhino Linings, Smittybilt 11500 Winch (Internal), BAKflip MX4, RotopaX, MaxTrax, ARB Simpson III tent, Old Man Emu suspension, TRD rims, Pioneer Platform with Rhino-Rack Backbone System
    Yup... it supports front camera... and as far as I understand back camera will work as intended meaning when R gear it's selected

11. Oct 13, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    Is there any way this harness and additional cameras like the Kenwood 320 can stitch the camera views together for a true "overhead" view seen on all the newer Fords trucks? Can the Tesla-styled HU do this or even better, our OEM HU? Amazing product regardless, just seeing what the future holds...

12. Oct 13, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    I don't know how this post escaped my notice. The aftermarket head units that use a plug and play adapter harness for the 24-pin and 28-pin connectors will still work with the FRAC harness.

13. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax - ADS Mid Travel
    ADS 2.5's (rear bypass) U748 Leaf Springs
    @TundraTex I installed a FRAC harness about a month ago (late October). Everything worked fine after the install. I had on-demand access to the front camera and the rear camera, plus when I went into Reverse, the rear would turn on automatically.

For some reason (that I'm hoping you can help me troubleshoot), starting last week, I can no longer access the front or rear any-time function. When I toggle the switch, nothing happens. If this were a camera issue I would think that I would get a blank screen, but I don't even get that. It just stays on the radio screen. Here is the kicker... When I go into reverse, I still get the rear camera view, I just can't switch to it w/ the FRAC switch, so obviously all the head-unit connections are still in place.

Thoughts?

14. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    Any fuses out or popped?!

15. Dec 2, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4

16. Dec 2, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    The problem is somewhere in your camera select switch circuit. Make sure that the red wire is still connected to the center spade terminal of the camera switch. If it is connected and still not switching, then your FRAC Harness fuse is likely blown. Measure for 12 volts between the same red wire and ground to confirm. If you have no voltage, you’ll need to change the fuse on the FRAC Harness (3 Amp fuse) which means you’ll need to pull the HU to access it.

17. Dec 2, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Well I can certainly check the center wire of the spade terminal to ensure it is connected. As far as checking the voltage, are you saying I just connect a volt-meter between the center spade and one of the other two spades on that select switch?

18. Dec 2, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Almost. Remove the red wire from the switch and connect it to the positive meter probe. Then touch the negative meter probe to any chassis ground spot. With the ignition on, it should read between 12 to 14 volts.

19. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Perfect... thanks. I’ll try this once all this damn rain stops!!

20. Dec 9, 2019 at 9:49 PM
    Erp1986

Erp1986 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra CM SR4 4x4
    @TundraTex I currently have the FracV2 on my 18 crew max SR5. After I completed the install cameras etc work however, now when I get a call while in the truck I have to turn the volume up to a ridiculous level in order to take the call. When streaming music from my phone etc audio is at normal levels. I checked all my phone settings. I ran through sound setup for the head unit. This literally happened after I installed my FracV2 has anyone else had any similar issues?

21. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:

I pulled the trim piece with the switch and it was all connected, so I just skipped the volt meter and went straight for the fuse. Yup... It was blown. Any clue what might have tripped it?

22. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    I’m guessing excess electrical current?:monocle::rofl::rofl:

That power line feeds the front camera and the FRAC switching circuit. If any part of the power lines somehow contacted ground, that could cause it. Pinched power wires or exposed un-used sections of the camera power wires (like could exist with the Natika camera harness) could do that.

23. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    That issue has never been reported before. That’s a strange one. The FRAC Harness doesn’t touch any of the HU audio wiring. So something else may have been disturbed when you installed it.

I would check all the HU connectors to make sure they are all tightly connected. Disconnect and reconnect each of them to make sure you get a good positive “click” when they are plugged in.

Let me know what you come up with.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  24. Dec 10, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Well I do have a Natika camera, so maybe those wires that need to be cut to flip the image could have caused it. I'll tape them up and keep my fingers crossed.
    THANKS!!

25. Dec 10, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    Erp1986

Erp1986 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra CM SR4 4x4
    Thank you. I’ll recheck all connections and get back to you.

26. Dec 22, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    ProtoJ

ProtoJ New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax TRD Off-Road
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  27. Jan 5, 2020 at 1:30 PM
    19greysport

19greysport New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 crewmax sport
    Anyone mount a camera on a 2019 pro grill? Dunno where to put mine.

28. Feb 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM
    Spook46

Spook46 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra TRD PRO

This is where I mounted my camera. I have a 16 pro, it's been a good spot so far.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  29. Feb 22, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    Spook46

Spook46 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra TRD PRO
    @TundraTex I recently haven't been able to get a video feed from my front cam. I checked the fuse it wasn't blown. I replaced the camera with the exact same one, reconnected the new cam to the RCA plug. Still no video. Any ideas?

30. Feb 23, 2020 at 11:14 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Does the screen go black when you select the front camera?

Products Discussed in

To Top