1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra towing mods

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Eddie32, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Mar 3, 2021 at 7:31 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    Its a spring that hooks onto your leaf pack with a couple of bolts. It preloads your leaf packs. 45min install and makes for tighter ride when unloaded. I got the heavy duty version

https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/1999-2019-toyota-tundra/

2. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:09 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You guess your loaded weight is 10000 lbs? I would find out.

Pretty sure you are over on your pin weight. Not sure on what model your Grand Design camper is (very nice selection by the way...awesome campers), but I personally would be getting some definite numbers when loaded up. I looked at a 2018 GD 28BH for an example and the pin weight is 1525 lbs.

From the owners manual....Page 513.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM34594U/pdf/OM34594U.pdf

GODZILLA and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  3. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:17 PM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro Barcelona Red
    BD GTX tuner, sumo springs, Spyder industries back rack and step bars, Rigid Industries fog lights, all LED lights, wireless phone charger in the armrest
    Mine is a Reflection 150 series. They move the axles forward slightly to make the tongue weight less for half tons. According to the ID tag on the camper, the tongue weight is 1,200 pounds. Dry weight is 8,200 and gvwr is 9,900 pounds. I know it’s right at the limit and/or a little above , depending on the load out. But I’ve had it up and down mountains, in the desert heat and in the frigid northeast winters. The truck pulls good up to 65 mph. It stops the trailer in an emergency and the sway control is on point. The only time things ever felt funny was when I had too much stuff in the back. I’d hit a bump on the highway and the rebound of the trailer axle suspension caused the truck to get a little light on the rear axle. I pulled over, moved some stuff around and it drove great again.

4. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:25 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I bet it does get a little sporty if there isn't enough tongue weight.

Blows my mind these camper manufactures sacrifice safety to get 1/2 tons towing these campers. What I mean by that is if you do the math on your numbers at 1200 lbs of pin weight, that is only ~12-13% pin weight when it should be 19-21%.

Lake.Life24 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  5. Mar 4, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR

Nice set up btw. I would think you would be better off with the stock size 10ply tires. I'm trying to understand your concern about the trans temps. If you have a factory trans cooler you have a thermostat. Help me understand your concern with the temps and what the issue is.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  6. Mar 4, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    I am curious your thoughts on near max towing of equipment vs. TT or 5th wheel. I tow so equipment from time to time that is near max towing. I keep going back and forth on if I should just upgrade trucks. The tundra handles the weight pretty well, but obviously a 3/4 or 1 ton would be far superior.

I have never towed a TT or an enclosed trailer so, I am curious your opinion on the differences and potential of me upgrading

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 4, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    BD GTX tuner, sumo springs, Spyder industries back rack and step bars, Rigid Industries fog lights, all LED lights, wireless phone charger in the armrest
    So, this past Christmas I towed the camper from NH down to Florida. It was 4* Fahrenheit when I left my house. Driving highway speeds (65) it was cold enough to keep the engine temp down. My coolant temp was around 185, but my trans temp was up to 230. I dropped down into 4th gear, forcing the engine to rev higher. Within a few seconds, the engine temp went up to 195. Then, both the engine temp and trans temps both started to come down simultaneously. This only happened in the frigid north. Once I got down south where it was 60-80 degrees outside, I had no more issues.

8. Mar 4, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    When towing equipment (ie car trailer or bobcat, etc) you can move the machine on the trailer over the axles to keep your tongue weight down. Travel trailers and 5th wheels have a lot of tongue weight. I used to have a TT and I used a weight distribution hitch. You gotta play around with the settings to transfer the right amount of weight forward of the hitch ball. It works like a lever, pulling up on the ball, thereby pulling down on the frame of the tow vehicle. A fifth wheel just puts the tongue weight directly over the rear axle. But trailer weight is trailer weight, no matter how you slice it (assuming the load is evenly distributed). What makes campers and enclosed trailers more difficult to tow is that it’s a giant sail, catch wind and draft forces from larger trucks. So, if you’re not perfectly balanced and you catch a side draft, you could easily lose control of your rig.

Lake.Life24[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 4, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    Ahh ok thanks for the right up. I see a lot of Youtube videos and comments about towing but most of them are geared toward TT's. Most of the equipment towing videos are for 3/4 to 1 ton trucks. I am still debating if I should upgrade or if I should upgrade rear suspension and brakes. The roadmaster active suspension has helped a lot to where I can get my truck perfectly level at max towing. But always been at the top of my trucks range has me rethinking things

10. Mar 4, 2021 at 12:46 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The Tundra is one tough truck. Towing up to its maximum payload/gross combined isn’t the/a problem. I used to do it with my Tundra...like a lot (mostly equipment or materials).

Differences:

TT- These trailers are usually longer due to people wanting space. In turn, they become long wind sails and not as fun of a towing experience due to sway. Tongue weight is usually a concern. I’ve always seen more accidents with TT than any other setup.

5th wheel- Overall shorter than the same size TT, taller and more roomy. More weight, in turn more pin weight. Most proper 5ver pin weights pretty much cancel out 1/2 ton towing. We have been seeing modified 5vers to help with this, but I feel this also sacrifices some safety/benefit of having this style hitching system. Far superior towing experience and reduces sway. You still get some, but easier to control. One concern with towing 5ver/gooseneck is traction in ice/snow. In corners or slick spots, if the rear axle loses traction it can be devastating very quickly (jackknifed). On the flip side, you have a lot of weight over the rear axle, and traction for the most part is superior.

This video shows this happening. Jackknifed and the trailer pushing the power unit into the ditch/wall. Happens very quickly.

Equipment- smaller, less of a “wind sail” effect. Usually heavier than what people might think. Skid steers/mini excavators are ridiculous due to counter weight.

Weight can be shifted around if you have enough trailer decking. Having the proper trailer usually starts getting pretty heavy empty. I’m selling my 20’ equipment hauler here soon. Empty weight in that trailer is 3750 lbs. toss a 5-6k lb bobcat on the trailer and it gets heavy very quickly.

Why did I shift to a larger capacity truck? Legal load ratings and above all...safety.

I started off towing with diesels, went to a 1/2 ton gas powered truck for 3.5 years, then back to a diesel. I might not always have a diesel, but most likely have a higher capacity tow rig.

When people state “this (whatever) tows my (whatever) great/like not even there” I often wonder what they are comparing the towing experience to. Have they used a smaller and larger truck to what is being used now with the same load?

I’m in the process of dumping all my bumper pulls and going full on GN/5th wheel setups. Soon I will only have two trailers. 28’ lowboy and 24’ lowboy. Both have 8k axles. However, both trailers have a totally different towing experience.

28’ Texas Pride...budget minded trailer, lighter, flexes a lot more. Works for the money.
    6DCF7FCF-8F04-4716-B065-9C49A821F40D.jpg

24’ Load Trail. This trailer is a beast. Very solid and stable. Definitely know it’s there empty. Quality in comparison is just mind blowing.

FF1512FD-7819-4552-B237-0C9BC0D77698.jpg

20’ Load Trail equipment hauler. Hard to believe this is 9250 lbs as it sits.

B79B377D-C1DB-4CA4-AC63-B1C4A9593A44.jpg

11. Mar 4, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    I really appreciate the write up. I am really struggling with this because I want to be safe. Not just for me but for others on the road.

Like you said equipment trailers that are quality start at about 2700lbs and only go up. I pull my 45hp tractor with loaded tires. It weighs in at about 6K-7K and plot that on a 3K trailer and I am at the max if not over. And its funny you mention skid steers or excavators. I have a rental place that was willing to put a 5T machine on a 14K and have me tow it instead of delivering it. That was a hard pass.

The tundra handles it fine and I make sure to take my time to level everything properly, but I just think if I am going to be doing this more and more it might be time to upgrade to a gas 3/4.Tractor.jpg

12. Mar 4, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Remember that not all 3/4 tons are equal and some actually have lower payload numbers than 1/2 tons. Make sure you read the door sticker.

13. Mar 4, 2021 at 1:59 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Wow. Nice machine. You would fit in well with the tractor thread on TW.
    For you, probably a good idea. Here is what I would do:

Be honest in you intentions at dealerships. Tell them you would like a used truck (in whatever brand) to test out towing. See how it handles and tows. Most dealerships will let you test trucks out. Try gas and diesel. Find a budget your comfortable with.

Once you find the platform you want, research the crap out of it.

3/4 & 1 ton gassers are pretty good for 10500 lbs and below for daily use. Above that, you might want to look into an oil burner. PM me if you have any questions regarding that. I have helped a “few” members make reasonable decisions for their needs.

Your trailer is about maxed out with that tractor. Are those 5200 lb axles or 6k axles?

Lake.Life24[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 4, 2021 at 2:03 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That’s a fact. Fleet vehicles for companies staying under the 10K lb GVWR for registration and CDL costs.

15. Mar 4, 2021 at 2:29 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    Trailer has 6k axles. That one is a rental. I’ll send you a PM to discuss the rest. Thanks again

16. Mar 4, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    shoe07

shoe07 New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Double-cab SR5 Tow pkg
    Cooling fan wouldn’t kick on until engine was warmer?
    Is there some kind of thermostat in the liquid to liquid cooler? (Where the transmission fluid goes through the radiator)? Seems odd.

17. Mar 4, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    Not sure. But I read on a forum a few years ago about the tundra’s insufficient trans cooler and how it operates on the coolant thermostat and doesn’t have its own. That’s the only reason I knew how to get my trans fluid to cool down. There was actually a really good write up with pics of a guy that installed an in-line trans cooler. He relocated the passenger side horn right next to the driver side horn and mounted the cooler in its stead. The plumbing was super easy. Then there’s just topping off the fluid and bleeding the lines. I’ll try to find that thread.

18. Mar 4, 2021 at 5:54 PM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    I like this write up. I often say that my truck tows my camper great. And I never thought of how that is such a relative statement. I have a CDL. I drove tractor trailer for 6 years in the Army. I’m a lineman by trade. I work on the big power lines that go through the woods and whatnot. We have to tow heavy equipment all the time. So, I’m very experienced at knowing what a well balanced truck trailer combo looks and feels like. But I’m usually talking to the guys at work about how my truck pulls my camper. And we all know what a good setup feels and drives like. I forget that some people have never even towed a motor cycle trailer when they bought their first camper. That’s kind of scary.

19. Mar 4, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    That’s why, more often than not, I end up moving more stuff up into the front bedroom. I’d estimate my ideal tongue weight with a fully loaded camper of “stuff” to be closer to 1,700 pounds. Add the weight of my wife, kids and the hitch, that puts my payload around 2,100 pounds. Which is why I bought the 2,000 pound yellow sumo springs, and got the better brakes. I’m never in a hurry when I tow the thing. I usually do the speed limit or less. Never go over 65. I get worried about catching a side draft of wind or turbulence from a semi. I drive truck for a living as part of my job. I understand how to safely tow a heavy trailer with a much lighter truck. (I.e. an 80,000 pound drill rig on a 10,000 pound low boy being towed by a tractor that weighs less than 30,000 pounds. That puts the tow vehicle at only 25% of the total combination weight. My tundra weighs 6,200 pounds with me in it. My combination weight is roughly 16,500. Making my truck almost 40% of the combination weight. Much better ratio.

Terndrerrr likes this.
  20. Mar 4, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    How do I add a link here? I found the thread talking about the in-line cooler. I just don’t know how to insert a link

21. Mar 4, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Well I guess we are both similar in experience and trades. I know all about taking digger derricks "off-roading". I've never taken more mirrors off any vehicle than that. :D

It's just a different perspective on how people rate a vehicle. I used to moderate a Dodge Cummins forum and we would have tow test competitions all the time. It was rather interesting how different platforms tow the same load. Our testing grounds was west bound I-70 out of Denver. We usually used my 22' trailer, parked a 3/4 ton Dodge on it for the day. Rules were:

- Ego's left at home
    - Honest non bias reviews
    - Speed limit to be followed (no more than 5 mph over)
    - Shit talking was encouraged
    - Control up and down the pass. The GM guys with the Allison had that one in the bag. Some of the Dodge guys had Jacobs exhaust brakes...then that was a different story.

Hell, we were doing mini Ike Gauntlet runs long before TFL coined it.

Anyway, why I'm telling you this is there were always guys that would show up with underrated trucks and think they had a chance. The V-10 Ford/Dodge guys were the worst. 30 mph up Floyd Hill was embarrassing to say the least for those guys. A few of them we made park at the top and had another truck come up to take it down the pass. That's how bad it was. We did have a modified Porsche Cayenne TT show up once. That was rather impressive...if we are being honest.

I have to admit, in the past I have jumped some peoples asses on here and regretted that. People are going to do what they want anyway. Probably best to just give them the best education we all can give and they have to make the decision for themselves. When I see peoples rear axle bearings explode and totally destroy a housing, I just sit back and sip my whiskey and shake my head. Now don't get me wrong, I have seen pictures of people towing backhoes, and that is just ignorant at a completely different level.

22. Mar 4, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Copy the address and past in the body of the message. Should work great.

23. Mar 4, 2021 at 7:22 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    What's wrong with the V10 Fords? My grandparents used to tow their fifth wheel from here down to Arizona every winter with their Triton, though I never actually talked to my grandfather about how it was.

24. Mar 4, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the V-10 Ford motors. The Dodge V-10's are a different story. That was one of the most searched motor in junkyards for a reason.

My comment was these guys would add an intake/exhaust/tuner and expect to compete with turbo diesels towing 6-7% grades with 10K lbs. It was laughable at best. They were good sports though. With the money some of them had in the trucks, they could have just purchased a diesel and left it stock with better performance.

25. Mar 4, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Ah, I get your point now.

My uncle has always run Dodges but only the Cummins turbo diesels. It's also pretty flat where he's doing his towing.

26. Mar 4, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    Willard

Willard New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Frontier Pro-4X
    Just want to point out that changing your springs doesn’t increase the payload of the truck. Your max payload is whatever is shown on the door sticker.

Malinois38 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  27. Mar 5, 2021 at 3:29 AM
    Tundraflyguy

Tundraflyguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bow, NH
    Vehicle:
    That sticker is based on the equipment installed on the truck. If I upgrade everything on the truck except the sticker, then the sticker will stay the same. That sticker has no bearing on how much my truck can tow. If I do an axle swap to one ton axles and springs, then my truck can tow waaaaay more, but that doesn’t change the sticker. It’s just a sticker

28. Mar 5, 2021 at 4:15 AM
    Willard

Willard New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Frontier Pro-4X
    Did you swap your axle?

You can’t increase the gvwr so installing heavier springs/axle would actually reduce your payload, even if those components can theoretically handle more weight.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Cpl_Punishment and A-A-Ron like this.
  29. Mar 5, 2021 at 4:43 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    20190413_105639.jpg
    You are hurting my tender emotions, sir.

30. Mar 5, 2021 at 5:42 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    I highly doubt that.:)

Products Discussed in