1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra registration and GVWR

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by N PLUS 1, May 11, 2018.

1. May 11, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    N PLUS 1

N PLUS 1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Metallic Limited Crewmax TRD OR
    Just wondering under what weight class/rating do you have your Tundra under when registering at the DMV/BMV.

I am in Indiana. Mine was registered at < or = to 16,000lbs class. I thought that was way more than what my tundra should be but was told that was the minimum the BMV can give. Upon research on their website i found out there is a lower weight class of < or = to 11,000lbs. The registration fee difference is over $100.

Aside from paying more, is there any consequences that may arise in the future?

2. Apr 28, 2023 at 11:27 PM
    Rockin' the 6 String

Rockin' the 6 String New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Crew
    I live in Indiana also and I just got the plates for my tundra, it's an 11,000 plate. Until I started looking into it I didn't know my Tundra was a half ton truck, I just bought it used. The GVWR, which is the maximum weight of truck and cargo as specified by the manufacturer, is 6600 pounds. I am 53 this is the first truck plate I have gotten in Indiana for a truck that wasn't a 7,000 pound plate. My GMC Sierra was a beast but only a 7,000 pound plate.

I was not asked at the BMV, I think I am going to go ask them why. I recommend you do the same, your trucks GVWR is on the driver's door sticker, it should be enough to change your plate and get the credit for next year's plate, mine was $80, so that $100 is a years registration, at least I. Daviess County.

Products Discussed in

To Top