1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra ranked last, what do you think

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Ubc2361, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Jan 15, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Ford,GM, Dodge figures would be 1/3 of your posted preventative maintenance changes. Toyota #1.

Twlrsc and rons23 like this.
  2. Jan 16, 2016 at 5:42 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    I gotta agree with this, they like a refresh every other year and Toyota is pretty conservative finding something that works and sticking to it - end result is it's dependable.

3. Jan 16, 2016 at 7:33 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    It is hard to say what all influences this kind of "poll" or "evaluation".
    For one thing I absolutely discard and ignore any of these sources that accept advertising. Saying they are not influenced by their sponsors is equal to a politician who says he is not influenced by campaign donations. Yeah, right.

But more than that is the need to see technical specifications of the actual test trucks; for instance, because of the wide spectrum of options offered by the big three, they tailor the "test" truck to the specific sampling type being tested. The Tundra used in the competitive towing, 0-60 race, off-road performance, uphill trailer pull, and mileage test is pretty much the same basic truck for every test. The Chevy in the 0-60 doesn't even have a hitch, and the mileage when they do the tests on those hard uphill, trailer pulls gets right about equal to the Tundra. So there is a real issue about impartial honesty going on here. They would never risk letting their heavier 4x4 towing equipped model get tested for mileage or speed!

Then there is reliability. This is all about playing the odds and rolling the dice. Everybody has stories and personal experiences but keep this stuff in perspective; if 6 out of 10 trucks have major problems (think Fiat/Dodge), 2 out of 10 (think Nissan) or 1 out of 10 (think Toyota), you still could be the guy with a trouble free Ram or the guy with a POS Toyota. Does not change the statistical reality the Toyota may be 1/2 as likely to have a failure as the Nissan. Please do not flame me for these percentages, they are made up to illustrate the point.

Anyhow, I absolutely love having a truck that does it all really well, most of it competitively, and I believe to be the only reliable full size truck available... my.02

T-Rex266 and Ubc2361[OP] like this.
  4. Jan 16, 2016 at 9:07 AM
    oil brother

oil brother New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MikeOMike
    Orange County, California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax
    3 & 1 Leveling kit W/ Pro Comp series 5183 Rims and Nitto Terra Grappler 305/55/20 Trimmed Bumper, modified inner fenders. Rhino lined Pocket style fender flairs and Rhino Lined dechrome grill, limo tinted back windows and front windshield visor. Weather Guard 127-5 Black Diamond plate Aluminum toolbox
    Bottom line is drive one and They to will also be sold on Toyota. I have owned Chevy Silverado, 2006 First Gen Tundra, Ford F250 Diesel and back to Toyota Tundra.

Wife drives a Sequoia, Love them both !

rons23 likes this.
  5. Jan 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Retired Adult Film Sound Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2
    I can't completely disagree with the list. I'd be shocked if any non-Toyota biased list would rank the Tundra first. There are lots of things I like about the other trucks on the road. I do like my Toyota reliability on the road. Would be nice to be able to combine that with some of the styling and features of the other trucks. Granted, I've never been a fanboy of any vehicle I own so I don't go around thinking it's the best. Then again, also depends on what criteria are weighted more than others and how much is subjective. If you were going just by reliability then I would say yes it's the best their is. I also feel that while you'll never see Toyota offering 10k off of trucks right on the lot, you still get a lot of value for what you pay.

The only real issue I have with the list is that they ranked the Titan ahead. Not that I have a problem with it but it seems to early to really give that a good ranking one way or the other. They're barely even on lots yet plus the rest of the range isn't out with non-XD models and XD gas models.

Ubc2361[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM
    Twlrsc

Twlrsc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Triple Black TUNDRA XP 4X4
    Would sit in my broken down Tundra in the garage......face drenched in tears before I would even THINK about buying GMC,CHEVY,FORD or RAM.image.jpg

7. Jan 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Dang it, I missed today's "View". What did I miss????

8. Jan 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Baaahaaa, can't help you Mat. You may need to start DVR, just sayin

9. Jan 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Agreed on this. Ford doesn't exactly suck. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-most-american-trucks-for-2015.html

Ubc2361[OP] and SouthBoundSteve like this.
  10. Jan 18, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Don't you mean Beta Max???

rons23[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 18, 2016 at 5:44 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Now you're talking. Don't forget the Sega Master System : upload_2016-1-18_18-35-51.jpgAlthough this system was/is kick ass, still have it, still works: [​IMG]"Metal Slug" yeah

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  12. Jan 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Remember the Odessy and In television

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  13. Jan 18, 2016 at 6:21 PM
    Twlrsc

Twlrsc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Triple Black TUNDRA XP 4X4
    STILLLLLL looks AWESOME !!

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM
    Leonitus

Leonitus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reginald
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax
    N/A
    You also have to take into account that Car and Driver also goes bananas over an extra cup holder. But won't tell you that your paying 2,000 dollars extra for that awesome piece of tech.

15. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    Island woody

Island woody New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2016 crew max 4x4
    Lift kit, Borla exhaust, 35 inch tires
    Don't knock the Prius , the wife has to drive something

image.jpg

jfrd30 likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I'll give you guys a break. After all they are Toyota's!!! (and your not from Boulder, CO, ................I'll probably catch hell for that from someone.) By the way , does your Tundra fit in the garage??

17. Jan 26, 2016 at 7:07 PM
    BlitzBound

BlitzBound New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 TRD
    First post here- sorry it's on an on-going thread... Anyway, I just traded in a RAM for a '16 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7 (supposed to be delivered tomorrow)... I have had 3 RAMS and, to be honest, been happy with them. However, I always liked Tundras and just thought they were very reliable, well built trucks... In looking for new truck, i did all kind of research and found that Tundra was consistently ranked lower in many comparisons... When i really read the review, it was clear that they were full of sh!t... Some say they were ranked low because not enough different packages... Or that ride was too stiff... Or that engine was outdated... I got the exact package I wanted... I want a tight stiff truck... Maybe they don't change engine because the one they have is proven and reliable?
    Sorry- I can ramble. Fact is, when I took my first test drive, I couldn't have been more impressed with the Tundra. I liked absolutely everything about it... Yea, MPG isn't as good (I can deal with 2 or 3 less miles per gallon)... Maybe there aren't as many fancy bells and whistles (it's a truck, not a luxury sedan), but I think I'm going to love this thing for a long time.. Again, sorry for the wordy first post... Sure you'll see pics of new rig soon!

18. Jan 26, 2016 at 9:39 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
  19. Jan 27, 2016 at 11:23 AM
    Tommy4132

Tommy4132 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Radiant Red 4.6L supercab
    I was really set on buying Ford 150 but then I test drove the Tundra and really liked it. I was looking for a base model extended cab, so I priced out both trucks. The Tundra came in about $400 less. Now I began to compare. The Tundra had greater ground clearance and bigger wheels. The F 150 at that price came with the 3.5 L v6 285 hp compared to the 4.6 L v8 310 hp engine. The F 150 came with the suicide doors and the Tundra had a real back door and more room in the back. Finally the interiors were pretty equal except the Tundra has the back up camera. I own a waverunner and sailboat, so this comes in handy when hitching up.

The bottom line is, I felt I was getting a little more truck for the same price and coming from a Tacoma, that reliability is hard to beat. So rank them anyway you want, for me the Tundra is number one.

IMG_20160123_213851262.jpg

Black Wolf likes this.
  20. Jan 27, 2016 at 12:00 PM
    jfrd30

jfrd30 Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of My Way

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    I think it's bullshit! Toyota has never been about the "Flash". They had the same digital clock in all their vehicles for nearly a 1,000 years before they changed it. That's because it worked.......period. They're not going to try something new just to attract new buyers or get on someone's list, they're about dependability and reliability. Most Japanese auto makers would rather kill themselves than build something that would bring dishonor and embarrassment to their company. It's a huge part of their culture and most Japanese were raised that way - Death before disgrace! I believe that is why Toyotas, Hondas, and Mitsubishis are built as well as they are and are the most dependable vehicles on the road. If you've ever visited an American auto factory and saw who was building your cars and how the they're built, you'd understand. The people working the line don't give two poops about your car from the next. They're more concerned with how much the union is going to get them in their next contract. And that is why everyone left for Mexico. That's my 2 cents. BTW, check Consumer Reports on how they rank and rate trucks. They always seem to have Toyota on top (as it should be) and Dodge/Jeep on the bottom (as it is). Car & Driver actually called a Jeep their SUV of the year! Really?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    Black Wolf likes this.
  21. Jan 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM
    jfrd30

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    It is a woman's car!!!!

Black Wolf likes this.
  22. Jan 27, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    DITTO x 1 million ^^^^ I spent over 4 years in Japan and can vouch for that. What is interesting is that after WWII we went in there (Japan) and taught them our world class manufacturing abilities. After a slow start the Japanese became better than us in building cars/things. Somewhere along the line we forgot how to do that in the 70's. We were making junk, plain and simple. We are only now catching up again and making decent products. (No more shifter coming clear off in your hand when your car is a week old; as in a friends new 79 Chevy Vega)

jfrd30[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jan 27, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    morrisboatner

morrisboatner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morris
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Metallic Gray
    upgraded to Federal Couragia M/T Mud terrain 33* 12.5R20LT
    It's all about personal preference ( BMW or Benz) -- I was a Chevy man from dec 2008 - dec 2015. Now I am loving the 2016 Tundra ( no regrets)

24. Jan 27, 2016 at 1:35 PM
    morrisboatner

morrisboatner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morris
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Metallic Gray
    upgraded to Federal Couragia M/T Mud terrain 33* 12.5R20LT
    Wow is that a cover over your grill?

25. Jan 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I lot of people still think the Tundra is a Japanese truck. They won't even consider a test drive because of the "fan boy" syndrome. Fortunately "we" got beyond that.............:oldglory:

26. Jan 28, 2016 at 2:59 AM
    jfrd30

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    Ford Logo 4.jpg

27. Jan 28, 2016 at 8:00 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    let me try to put this in terms anybody might grasp.
    Driving a lifted big wheeled truck is not going to make your willie any bigger and driving a Prius won't make it
    shrink.

if your ego requires reinforcement at this level, get a shrink.

just sayin...

28. Jan 29, 2016 at 11:48 AM
    jfrd30

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    ^^^^^^^^^ I think someone here drives a Prius!!!!! Just sayin....... ^^^^^^^^^^^ :mudding:

29. Jan 29, 2016 at 2:37 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    sorry bud, both the wife and I have had pick-ups for about as long as I can remember. I don't want a Prius any more than I want lift blocks. But if I want one I will get it and my ego won't need to be shored up. They do have sort of a liberal image I guess but my question is really why does anybody give a damn what anybody else thinks? Isn't life too short to spend it constantly seeking other folks approval?

30. Jan 30, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    Ubc2361

Ubc2361 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Tundra crewmax 5.7 4x4

I thought tundras were assembled in texas?

jfrd30[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top