1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra or Silverado?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Backslider, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    Backslider

Backslider [OP] Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    No, you don't. You can get leather seats with the LT Trail Boss as part of a package.

2. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    So you want to buy a Silverado and say that the pro is a waste of money...

Got it.
    God speed

3. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    You just said the Pro was a waste of money and that you yourself have more money than brains..

You also didn't read the thread and responded with a lack of knowledge as to what was going on?

Got it.
    God speed.

4. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    The Tundra is a great truck, no argument here. That said, it seems like a lot of people here are not willing to look at and compare facts and instead just want to justify their own choices. =(

5. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:51 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    It isn't a big secret about my current truck, or my GM roots.

So here is my take on this, and I'm going to be as neutral as possible, especially since this is a Tundra Enthusiast forum.

This is what would steer me away from a GM 1500:

- Cylinder deactivation. I personally know two people that had major issues with this system that cost motors (right out of warranty). This is a no go for me. This also rules out the 6.2L.
    - 8L90-E 8 speed trans has had a few issues with shifting, but a new TSB has fixed this issue. Time will tell....
    - Has the "chevy shake" been fixed yet? I have a good friend with a 2015 Chevy 1500 that will about rattle your teeth out. I went up with him to Denver for an Avalanche game. I about threw up due to pre-gaming. This would be a huge risk for me. I like smooth rides, so research that.
    - Some of these issues will put yo ass on the side of the road...hard.

This is what would steer me away from the Tundra:

- Payload ratings. To be fair, I doubt the competition payload ratings would blow my hat off either.
    - Cam Tower leaks
    - Tech. Sorry, but I like having simple enjoyments in life that I don't have to spend a fortune on later adding.
    - None of these issues will put yo ass on the side of the road. Annoying at best.

Personally, I would be looking at the 3/4 ton flavor with the 6.6L8T in the AT4 package (gmc). No cylinder deactivation, no chevy shake, good payload ratings, Tech, comfortable, nice ride, decent fuel economy (~16.0 mpg empty).

6. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Toyota spray in bed liner/ 30" LED Lightbar/ Pro Comp Pro Runner SS @ 2.5"/ Husky Xact fronts/ Weathertech rear/ NFAB steps/ 275/70R18 BFG KO2's/ LED interior from GTR lighting/ Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer brake Controller
    I guess I’ll throw my opinion out there for what it’s worth. I have never owned a gm half ton. But between me and my family we have owned over 8 2500HD duramax diesels and everyone of them have been great trucks. That said I currently have a 15 tundra that I’ve owned for 5 years and almost 80k miles with absolutely no problems either. It’s all in your personal preference I agree the new trail boss trucks look great from the factory, but based on your last build I don’t see you leaving either truck in stock form. So I personally feel like the suspension wheels and tires are a wash. So there is that point and maybe I’m wrong. I was just talking to my wife yesterday and said if I had to get a new truck tomorrow I’m not sure what I would buy. But, I think if that became a reality I would more than likely pick up another tundra.
    Another thing to consider I rode in a buddies Chevy which had the 5.3 and he had 35s on that truck and I kid you not for that truck to maintain freeway speeds it was downshifting all the dam time it drove me nuts as the passenger. So in regards to that I think the tundra gearing etc is more suitable for bigger tires. Anyway I hope I helped and regardless of what you decide enjoy your new rig!

ColoradoTJ and Backslider[OP] like this.
  7. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    Tundra_361

Tundra_361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 4x4
  8. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    These are good observations - I agree the Tundra 4.3 axle ratio is better than the 3.23 or 3.42 on the Chevy. I haven't ridden with one on 35's, but my Tundra definitely suffered a bit of performance and acceleration loss with a light weight 34, even with a speedo/shift point corrector.

You're right - I won't leave it stock, even when I say I will. =\

9. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Toyota spray in bed liner/ 30" LED Lightbar/ Pro Comp Pro Runner SS @ 2.5"/ Husky Xact fronts/ Weathertech rear/ NFAB steps/ 275/70R18 BFG KO2's/ LED interior from GTR lighting/ Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer brake Controller
    I know what you mean I was going to leave mine stock too and that didn’t happen lol. I have 34s in mine and I also noticed the power loss but I can still maintain freeway speed without the truck feeling like it’s struggling. Another thought is towing. My personal preference would be to tow with the tundra again gearing plays into this. I know I sound like a Toyota fan boy which in a way I am but I think if you hooked up the same trailer to both of trucks and pulled a good grade I believe the tundra would feel more equipped. And maybe I’m wrong there but that’s just my opinion. Again I’m open to the trail boss and think it’s a great truck it just all comes down to what you intend to use the truck for and what you can and cannot live without. Good luck!

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  10. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    How many miles on those Chevys?

11. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    Yodder J

Yodder J New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tundra SR5 4WD DC
    DAP Tune, Truxedo ProX15 bed cover, WildPeak AT3s
    As others have suggested, I'd go to a Chevy truck forum and spend some time there, lurking, to see what problems or issues the new GM trucks have or DONT have, that is, see what people really like about them. You have owned a Tundra, you know what you get in the Tundra and none of us are going to convince you one way or the other about buying another Tundra--as another poster has said, buy the one you want.

IMHO it does sound like you are getting a lot of truck for you buck with the Chevy, that said, it also sounds like Chevys (the new ones) are hit or miss on reliability.

Good luck, cheers!

Backslider[OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
  13. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    Tundra fails in terms of crash testing, not so with GM. The Silverado Trail Boss with a 6.2 is a sweet truck, just wish GM would get rid of the cylinder deactivation...it’s proven to shorten engine life. Why not continue to stay out of debt, drive whatever you’re driving now, and wait for the new 2021 Tundra? Win. Win.

14. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    That's another idea - I'm also curious about the new Ford Bronco coming out, but I miss having a bed to haul stuff around in..

15. Feb 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
  16. Feb 9, 2020 at 2:12 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    Right now just a small overlanding trailer. Will be buying a boat, possibly a camper - either way it won't exceed 10k lbs.

Muleycrazy13[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 9, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    I was in the same boat and really wanted the Trailboss also. The TB checked alley boxes including heated seat- with cloth, plenty of storage, rear seat AC vents, etc. I test drove it a few times and it was pretty nice. One thing I can say for sure is the stereo was so much better than the crap Tundra's. Anyway, I researched a ton including all the problems, forums, etc. With a lifetime warranty most of that stuff would have been taken care of.
    I ended up finding a great deal on a Tundra Platinum that saved me about 12k and basically had most of the same options. From what I did read, get the bigger motor. For whatever reasons they didn't seem to have the same amount of issues. The one thing that I didn't like was the bed was so deep and sides were really high. But I really wouldn't have had to add or modify anything. Chose the Tundra and super happy Happy with my (sixth) Toyota.

Backslider[OP] likes this.
  18. Feb 9, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    I must have missed something with the math. Are you comparing a $40k Chevy OTD to a $55k Tundra OTD?

19. Feb 9, 2020 at 2:47 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    Yes, and the $40k Chevy is better equipped, tows more, has a higher safety rating, and more tech. Also comes with a factory 2" lift like the TRD Pro, color matched grill, bumpers, and mirrors, tows more, etc.

That was kind of the entire point.

If I compared a $55k Chevy Silverado with teh Tundra it would be no contest as far as towing, speed, and creature comforts.

So you said the Tundra will have better resale value, possibly be worth $7k more in 10 years.. I said if I pay $15k now for $7k later how is that smart finance?

20. Feb 9, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    So for my situation I got my Tundra 47.5k OTD before add ons, an LTZ Sierra with the 6.2 would have been in the low 50's OTD. Trade in value of my truck currently is in the 33k range, an LTZ of similar mileage is in the high 20's trade in. So would have been a few thousand more initial and is now a few thousand less in value - So is the 5k+ value worth the slightly more powerful but less reliable engine? That was the question I had, and you see which way I went.

I think your mind is made up, yet you came here asking us what we think - when most of us went through this exact question and have bought Tundras. I'd say make a spreadsheet - have all the features you get in the spec sheet and see what they have compared to one another. Then for towing go to the door sticker - NEVER rely on what you find online, always go to the door sticker. Ford is brutal with that, but GM isn't that much better, I've found some shockers that didn't make sense once you read the door sticker.

21. Feb 9, 2020 at 3:16 PM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    I would try to get the 6.2L motor if you are going with a GM Truck for towing. I know I mentioned it earlier today concerning the 5.3 and Tundra 5.7L Tow/Haul modes but the 6.2L engine may overcome those shortcomings I experienced with the 5.3L.

22. Feb 9, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    I have already done exactly that. Also, Sierras seem to be more expensive than Silverados.

No, I haven't made up my mind - even now. I'm going to drive both again and stew over it for a bit before I make a decision. I might just wait. I might say screw it and buy a Tesla Model 3 Performance (I borrow one from work and it's a lot of fun to drive).

I have a vehicle that is more capable offroad than the Tundra will ever be. What I miss is all the room, reasonable power, and the ability to throw shit in the bed of the truck to haul around. It's not a NEED for me, but if I buy one I want it to be outfitted how I want from the beginning.

23. Feb 9, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    Brandisher

Brandisher Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Limited CM
    I guess I’ll chime into this thread too. I purchased a new Tundra for $7k off, MSRP was $52k and I was able to negotiate it for $45 + TTL (This could fluctuate all over the place, but for my situation and looking at dealerships around Salt Lake City). Seeing that you are in UT, it is comparable to my scenario. Assuming your build list is the final price, so $42 + TTL. $3k in tax is negligible, so it would really be $4k, estimation rounding up. Looking at Edmonds 5 year cost of ownership and the 5.3l in the Chevy (no option for 6.2L engine) and excluding the fuel calculation because of this. Tundra comes in at $35.8k and Silverado TB is at $40.3k. Now the saving difference is gone.

If you are planning to keep the Chevy for 5+ years then trading it in, the value of the Tundra will eclipse your savings unless you plan on keeping the Chevy until the wheels fall off. Then it doesn’t matter.

I won’t include modification costs as it seems you will modify both trucks from your prior post so that cost I deem is irrelevant.

References:
    https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2019/cost-to-own/#style=401765127

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tundra/2020/cost-to-own/#style=401823073

24. Feb 9, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Got it. I didn’t do any research on KBB on 2005-2010 used trucks, but a 10-20 year old Toyota will be worth much more than a Chevy. Factor in reliability and build quality, piece of mind, less time at the shop getting warranty work done, it would be no question for me. Also assuming Toyota goes to a V6 Tundra soon, these V8 Tundras may have a chance of having a cult following in resale value more than we think sitting here today. You seem pretty locked in though, you probably won’t be unhappy with a Boss.

25. Feb 9, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    I've said it multiple times - I'm not locked in.

Just throwing this out there - the value for a 2012 Tundra 5.7l CM with 100k miles on it, and the value for a 2012 Chevy Crewcab LT with a 5.3 with 100k miles on it also - so in essence two very comparable trucks, is within $2000 of one another. I've done several comparisons and even checked kbb on several vehicles and trims after starting this thread. The Chevy cost less than the Tundra in 2012 too..

To put it another way, everyone here keeps saying the Tundra will be worth much more when all options are comparable, but that doesn't seem to be true. Tundra is #3 in resale value for 2019, Silverado is #6. Silverado is within 3% of the held resale value of Tundra @ 36 months.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/

Further, in a 2019 JD Power ranking, Tundra was ranked the #2 most reliable truck, and Silverado was ranked #4. Silverado received a reliability score of 4.0/5 while Tundra received 4.5/5.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/the-most-reliable-new-trucks-on-the-market

I found several other rankings, including Consumer Reports numbers, that reflect this.

It looks like the resale and reliability aren't as far off between these two trucks as many would like to think..?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  26. Feb 9, 2020 at 4:54 PM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    In my experience you're right. For me, again my own personal experience, is when I sold my Toyota's after 8-10 years and over 150k miles. Great resale value compared to a GM. However a 2500 still has great resale value for 10-15 year old trucks. It absolutely could be perception in reliability, comfort level, or just plain inventory and market demand.

In the end, anything mechanical breaks down. What we all want is complete reliability. Having a lifetime warranty on anything without a bunch of exceptions or fine print caveats is hard to beat if it's attached to something that has value for you.

27. Feb 9, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    My advice is still going to be for you to get an in writing quote and feature list on the chevy, and take it to toyota dealers and see what they can do. Its the only way the Toyota is going to compete beyond the already stated items.

It sounds like you're going to be changing the suspension on either truck, so you should consider a TRD sport to get your color matching out of the way.

Anyway, best of luck on your truck hunt. I'm going to step out of this thread. If you remember, let me know what you eventually decide.

D4x4TRD likes this.
  28. Feb 9, 2020 at 5:08 PM
    D4x4TRD

D4x4TRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Định
    Norfolk, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sr5 DC TRD 4x4 Blaaaaaack baby 4.6liter
    Blacked out front grill badge Bigger tires 305/60r18 Tonneau cover
    I couldn’t of said it better. I totally agree with you and I hope OP does too.:)

29. Feb 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    I already have a quote in writing for the Chevy. It's VERY close to the configuration posted here on page 1.

vhstejskal likes this.
  30. Feb 9, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    plinyyounger

plinyyounger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    19, Tundra limited TRD off road
    This thread is still going? Lol

Black Wolf likes this.