1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra or Silverado?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Backslider, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    Racer839

Racer839 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Double Cab 4X4
    I can give you some input. I've owned several different trucks over the last 5 years. I just bought a 2020 Tundra SR5 DC a little over a week ago. I test drove the Tundra, Chevy LT & Trail Boss LT, and Ford F150 FX4 all on the same day. Each test drive was about 30 miles in length. I have an Uncle who retired from Ford so getting a good deal isn't an issue since I'm eligible for the X-Plan (thou I usually don't use it because I can beat it just by dealing). I will give you that both the Ford and Chevy beat the Tundra when it comes to features. They come with heated cloth seats, better power window options, better MPG, and just better little "stock" features. Now with that all said. Ford has issues with both their 10 speed transmission (there is even a class action lawsuit against Ford over it) and their 5.0 V8 seems to have a pretty major issue with oil consumption. I like the Ford best but just couldn't bring myself to take a chance with it since I plan on keeping this truck 10+ years. I owned a 2018 F150 and sold it 4 months after buying it, I just hated that transmission. I have never owned a Chevy. I really like the look of the Trail Boss but when I drove it, it just didn't seem as solidly built. You and your wife should each take a short test drive riding in the back seat. My wife and I found them to be really uncomfortable. The truck was really loud inside (some tire noise and some wind noise). For a brand new truck with only 5 miles on it, I was really surprised with how many little rattles it had. I can only imagine how many would develop over the first 6-12 months of owning it. I also was concerned that Chevy is only in it's second year since a complete redesign. I'm not sure it's been long enough for all of the bugs to be worked out just yet. As far as one of the other guys posting about a lifetime warranty from a dealer far away from you, you can find plenty of options for buying a Toyota extended warranty from any dealer (I bet there's a post or two about that on here), I think he was just trying to give you an example. I plan on researching one in the next year so I get the extra coverage I want but would never buy one at the time of truck purchase. I would suggest looking at www.nhtsa.gov and see how many recalls and TSBs are listed for each truck. I don't recall what there was on the Chevy but the Tundra was mainly items I find to be trivial. Best of luck to you, I know what you're feeling. For me, I had to go with predicted reliability.

2. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    Backslider

Backslider [OP] Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    This is the kind of emotionally-backed opinion/argument I'm trying to avoid here. If you want to back out of this conversation then by all means..

GODZILLA likes this.
  3. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the balanced response. I'm going to go drive the Chevy again on Monday and I'll look for the rattles you speak of. I didn't notice any and neither of us rode in the back seat, but the underseat storage in the Chevy was really nice (don't have to pay $400 from a third party manufacturer and chop up the floor) and there was plenty of room for a 10-year-old and a 3-year-old in a forward-facing car seat.

I'm also going to go to a few Toyota dealerships and see if they can offer some incentive to choose the Toyota over the Chevy. I don't really care about remote start or any of the other creature comforts in the Chevy, but it is definitely a point for comparison. What I require, at a minimum, is leather seats (we are in the backcountry a lot and leather/softex is easy to keep clean), sonar/safety features (I don't really need but I notice it helps my wife a lot when driving a large vehicles. She's a great driver, but gets nervous with the limited visibility in a full size truck), and remote start would be nice. The Chevy also comes with a auto-locking tailgate, which would be nice in the Tundra as well.

I sold my Tundra with maybe $10000 of upgrades on it, 22k miles, and about 3 years old for almost exactly what I bought it for. I love the resale value of these trucks, and the reliability, of course. 16mpg sucks, but so does valve shutoff. =\

4. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    Hondoman

Hondoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dfw Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4x4
    Gm hosed us on the bailout, for that reason alone I'll never consider one of their vehicles.

Sas, sask3m, CMB and 1 other person like this.
  5. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    D4x4TRD

D4x4TRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Định
    Norfolk, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sr5 DC TRD 4x4 Blaaaaaack baby 4.6liter
    Blacked out front grill badge Bigger tires 305/60r18 Tonneau cover
    I’m not an engineer to start. So please excuse me if I’m not factual enough for you. But to me it sounds like you really like the Tundra and you’re only considering the Chevy because of the money you will be “saving”. But I don’t think you’re going to save any money buying a truck that you might not really want in the first place. On the other side of things. All trucks nowadays are very impressive builds and technology in them. Not too much to compare really. Like you said just 2 things were all you came up with. So really comes down to what you actually want. I feel like you are really looking for justification to spend money on a Chevy just to save $15k. I feel you will still end up buying a Tundra even if you go and buy the Chevy. Good luck with your decision. I hope you make a decision to let yourself be happy in the end. Get the Tundra.

HighDesertSurfer and plumber802 like this.
  6. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Which apparently means GM is using a very high percentage (45%) from China and elsewhere...

7. Feb 9, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    truckguy84

truckguy84 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tundra SR5 TRD
  8. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    The idea that just because something comes from China it is poorly manufactured is false. Same goes for Thailand, Korea, the Phillipines, Taiwan, etc. Most computer hard drives are produced in the Phillipines, which requires very strict quality standards..

Chinese manufacturing ranges from poor to exceptional, and at the highest levels is probably better than comparable manufacturing in the US. I love the US, but trade deals and wages have kept us from being a leader in manufacturing capability and/or quality for at least 30 years. I'm sorry, but the idea of "buy American" is antiquated and no longer accurate.

I work for an American company and we design and manufacture our machines in Sweden because the quality is far superior to what we find in the US. We have an entire line of machines built in Sweden, and I travel there frequently.. Those machines, with the exception of some small problems, are wonderfully made. On the other hand, we have a single machine platform that is built by a manufacturer in Ogden, UT. We pay a premium and we have quality issues up the ass. We are looking for a new manufacturer for this very reason.

"Made in America" means something far different than what it used to. Mostly it means made by underpaid employees who lack pride because they aren't properly treated or compensated. I don't blame the employees - I blame the situations they are forced to work in.

Other countries, on the other hand, seem to have employees that identify with their professions far more than we do in the US. I've been to hundreds of manufacturing facilities all over the world as a product of what I do for work, and in almost every country I visit things are cleaner, more organized, more consistent, and overall just better work environments than in the US.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  9. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Most sites claim around mid 70's percentage wise. GM trucks were as hi as the low 70's up to 2016 but went cheap after that.

10. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    If you're going to get the GM, at least get the 2500 or 3500.

11. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    The savings isn't the only reason. As I mentioned in the OP, there are a number of features and options built in to the truck that are better than the Tundra. Add to that the fact that I can get it for far less $$ and the deal seems pretty sweet.

Yeah, $15k is a lot to save, but really I'm comparing the value of what I get across two prices - not just the prices themselves.

kingpin3919 and D4x4TRD[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I've been calibrating test equipment for over 40 years and definitely know the difference between Pacific Rim sourced TE and US/Euro sourced. The Chinese/Pacific Rim produce nothing remotely as good and high end as Rhode & Schwarz and Keysight. Yes, both have various products made in the Pacific RIM too and not bad quality at all but not like "ours". I used to make several visits to TI's chip production facility in Baguio City. Well made IC's but nothing like military grade hybrids made here. I like the idea of Toyota using non union labour and sourcing a lot of parts "locally". I'm thinking any Chinese sourced parts might be having delivery issues right about now...much more reliable utilizing local supply chains.

13. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    If you plan on towing I favor the Tundra over the Chevy purely because the Tow/Haul mode is better imo than what the Chevy has with throttle response and with gear mapping. 0-60 Most of the trucks are in the same ballpark for the most part at least when I test drove trucks back in 18 before I made my decision.

Black Wolf likes this.
  14. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    I own a 2018 Platinum Tundra, and my work vehicle is a 2016 Tahoe (5.3 w/ 6 speed). I test drove a Trail Boss when they first came out. Found the Trail Boss to ride great, quiet, but that the new interior felt cheap and too much like my plain Tahoe. Also really do not like column shifter.

No way would I get the Trail Boss in a 5.3. Especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, get the 6.2L the first time.

The 5.3L in my work Tahoe has had the AFM drop lifters twice now. Both times resulting in new cam shaft / cams / lifters. Transmission has been worked on, and certainly does not shift crisply anymore. Truck has 80k miles, so am sure it naturally will need work given the mileage. The 5.3L in the Tahoe feels very underpowered compared to my Tundra with the 5.7L. I believe GM has made changes in the AFM / cylinder deactivation system on the new 5.3L / 6.2L, and new transmission, so some of my concerns and complaints are not valid on the new platform.

$14k of incentives is a huge discount, and would help buy a lot of piece of mind. How many miles do you drive a year?

In closing.... I would buy the new Trailboss over a current Limited Tundra. Then when the new Tundra comes out, if it blows your mind then you can just sell the Trailboss. You won’t have to dump any mod money into the Trailboss, and with the discount you are receiving, the resale issue won’t matter much.

Backslider[OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I have nothing....

What color? White is the fastest...from my experiences.

16. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    7dgoat

7dgoat Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 army green TRD PRO
    In 2010 I bought a new Silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3 engine. I also got the extended warranty. (Thank God). About 1 year later I was on a trip and the check engine light came on and the truck went into limp mode. I found a dealer and they said the #1 cylinder cracked the spark plug. They gave me a new plug and sent me on my way. 6 months later same thing. They said it needed a different valve cover. ( Per service bulletin). Didn't make sense to me but whatever! 6 months later cracked plug again! This time they say it needs new push rods and turn off oil jet to #1 piston. Didn't make sense to me to make the Piston hotter but whatever! 6 months later cracked plug!!!!! This time i can't remember what they said they did but the truck had a miss and burned oil. But the light never came back on. All of this was under warranty but the wasted time and frustration put a bad taste in my mouth! After paying it off I went to Toyota and bought a 2015 trd pro. I never had a problem in the 5 years I owned it. Not even a recall! I just traded that for a 2020 army green trd pro! I'll never buy a Chevy again! I hope Toyota never stops making pros! There all I'll ever buy again!

Trunk Monkey and kingpin3919 like this.
  17. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    I agree. Looking for a 6.3l to test drive locally, then if I go this route I might order it.

I like the cajun red and the black.. White is definitely acceptable though!

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    only way I would consider a chevy is if they included an extended warranty at no charge. I dont want to spend new truck $ and have issues while I am still paying the loan. Thats why I chose a Tundra.

Backslider[OP] and Black Wolf like this.
  19. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:

20. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    Rockanock

Rockanock 21 Chevy 2500

Member:
    I have owned several GM trucks and they were all great. I went to the Tundra because of the reliability and the toughness that is associated with them and I think it’s the best lookin truck on the road right now. All of the bells and whistles on these new trucks are nice especially the cameras. I have looked at the trail boss. In my opinion it’s a good looking truck and already has all of the mods I would want. Then again so does a TRD pro. I really like more simple controls. My only requirements for a vehicle are Heat and Air, Bluetooth, and back up camera. Which really is any truck now. Had I of liked the looks of the new Chevy more I’d prob have one parked in my driveway. I don’t get into this brand loyalty junk. I’ve owned everything except dodge. Every manufacturer is going to have their problems. Heck the tundra is not as bullet proof as others think but it is about as bullet proof as you can get today. You are the one that’s writing the check, you are the one that’s going to be driving it, and you are the one who has to live with the decision. I would get what you want. If I were in your shoes with the discount and such I’d be in a new cement grey trail boss tomorrow. Good luck

Backslider[OP] and Black Wolf like this.
  21. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    This dealership offers a lifetime powertrain warranty. As long as you are doing recommended maintenance they will cover any failure.

Black Wolf likes this.
  22. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    I would be VERY wary of any factory vehicle that calls itself "Trail Boss." They usually contain the lowest end of off road suspension parts and they are built for looks, not off road performance. Trail boss? I seriously doubt it.

Oh, and that's my opinion. Isn't that what you asked for from the start of this thread? Enjoy your new Chevy. Maybe I'll see you on the trail sometime. Boss.:thumbsup:

Sas, plumber802 and D4x4TRD like this.
  23. Feb 9, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    Tundra_361

Tundra_361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 4x4
    Sounds to me like your mind is made up. Go get your Chevy truck.

24. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the heads up! I have no experience offroad and/or with suspension parts! That said, if the trails are similar to the ones pictures in your signature you'll definitely see me out on them in my 2015 Avalon XLE. ;)

25. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    waynescaggs

waynescaggs No more of that .

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra Crewmax Limited
    I’m with you I learned the hard way , in 2014 I bought a 14 Silverado after having a 10 Tundra I’m now in a 19 Limited , the Silverado had to many recalls and problems and it had less then 25000 miles when I sold it

26. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    UTAHRTK

UTAHRTK New Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra TRD CM
    Dirty Deeds 8" standard exhaust, 6112/5160, MR 701's, TOYO R/T Trails 285/75/17
    My Neighbor just brought that Chevy home-same color.. I have a 17 SR5 and would not trade with him if I had a chance. At the end of the day its a Chevy....

27. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    Tzvia

Tzvia Just an old woman in a pickup truck.

Member:
    Los Angeles County
    Vehicle:
    2019 5.7L Limited TRD Off Road 4x4
    Just a Bed Rug and Snugtop XTRA Vision
    While driving around over a decade in the 2002 Tundra I bought new in 2002, I spent a lot of time looking at other trucks for 'when the time came'. Configuring them online, going to dealers in my spare time. Kicking tires and thinking, and saving my pennies. At one point, I had settled on an F150, but as I was saving up, driving that old Tundra, I started lurking around the truck forums, and reading what people were saying and doing with their trucks. Yea I had some problems with that Tundra, the steering gearbox leaked and was replaced along with the linkage, the brake master cylinder failed not two weeks later (it was 14~15 years old). Really didn't think about the Tundra much as I eyed my 'next truck'. But what I was reading online, and seeing with recalls started to shake my decision. I then realized that I hadn't considered a new Tundra. Never thought much about my Tundra unless it needed tires or brakes, it was just 'there'. Not flashy, a basic SR5 4x4 with CD and cassette. It did have power windows, that was basically it for creature comfort. It didn't even have a USB port. From my perspective, the new Tundras have a lot of stuff that my old Tundra didn't have, but nothing like the goodies you can get with the 'American' brands. But I added the Tundra to my choices and started lurking at Tundra forums. And I realized, that what I wanted wasn't gee wiz stuff, I wanted something like my old Tundra. I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to worry about it. I didn't want to fight with it. I didn't need it to make me hot tea. So I made a NEEDS list, and a WANTS list. And it turned out that I didn't need any of the junk, never needed it in the old Tundra. Leather would be nice, moonroof would be nice, rear power window and GPS YES for sure. Anything else important to me, I could change/add as needed if the basic needs are met. Found a LIMITED a year ago that was just what I wanted quite by accident while I was picking up my mother's Prius from service, and made a deal. Old Tundra was was still just fine, I could probably have gone many more years with regular maintenance (it did need brakes and tires though). I sold it and someone else is enjoying a good solid truck. I am happy with what my '19 has and think I have a better shot at going a long time without big issues than with the American brands, judging by what I have been reading online.

Sometimes we get caught up in marketing hype over stuff we never new we needed till we were told we did.

JohnLakeman, Devcom and Grumpy Uncle like this.
  28. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    If you require leather seats why are you looking at an LT model? You have to go up to an LTZ to get leather seats last I checked, even your build you posted in the early comments has cloth seats.

If you're going to compare apples to apples compare an SR5 TRD off road (add in a couple hundred for a block lift if you really want those 2") to the LT Trail Boss. The Limited is like an LTZ, which is going to be a few thousand more than the LT build you posted.

29. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    Get the Silverado

If you come to a Tundra forum to ask that question then I am guessing you answered it already and you are trying to have someone change your mind.

I would go to a Silverado forum and ask too.

Then get what YOU want.

As far as the Pro goes I am not sure why you are going for a Pro.

I did because I have more money than brains and I dont want to add a lift or suspension.

30. Feb 9, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Backslider

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    I'm not going for a Pro. I would buy an SR5 with a TRD Offroad Package + Options and then add locker, lift, and tires. I used the Pro as a comparison because it's a high priced model and still doesn't have half the options the Chevy does.

I already had and built out a pretty nice Tundra - not sure if you saw that. I think the Pro is a huge waste of money, and I've complained multiple times in this thread that it's $15k for some cosmetic options and front and rear suspension.

I guess the point is that the Chevy comes with a similar offroad package as the Tundra TRD Pro, but maybe with not quite as nice shocks... and still costs less $$. Lots less. Even without discounts.

Products Discussed in

To Top