1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra for RAM?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by ultra1988, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Dec 29, 2020 at 10:07 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Toyota transmissions are tuned the same. It's painful to try to get my wife's Corolla to drop out of 4th, regardless of how slow you're going or how hard you step on the gas.

2. Dec 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Go to sequential shift mode. The only time I'm not in SS mode is cruising on the hwy.

3. Dec 29, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    In a 2013 Corolla? o_O

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 29, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    In town, why not?

5. Dec 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    BWinter

BWinter New Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    2018 White 1794, TRD Off Road, 4x4
    I think most diesel engines in California pickups in my opinion appear to be reliable. However, when I researched diesel pickups I was more than a little concerned about the current "emissions war" on diesel engines in California. In my opinion, the environmentalist have the diesel engine in their sights. In addition, though the engines have been reliable the smog equipment on them has been a problem. I have a number of friends with very expensive repair bills the dealer would not cover. The worst case so far is a friends Duramax generated a $10,000 dollar smog system repair for California required equipment. I am unsure how wide spread the issue is but these three owners are not amused. I decided the Tundra would be a good choice for me. While my 1794 is not state of the art it works for me. My wife's 2020 Lexus is pretty techie but I turned about half of it off.

Elevatormatt likes this.
  6. Dec 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Because it doesn't have such a thing. My options are Drive, 3, 2 and L.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 29, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    well.....that does change things a bit

8. Dec 29, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    Those emission stuffs are very finicky - used to work at a company and all we had were diesels (6.7 PSD) and about half had emission issues at some point. Our fleet department was pretty picky on doing maintenance so 99% of trucks were serviced at 8k km intervals, only the odd time we'd be out on shift and have to extend it. And yet we were still at probably a 40-50% emission issue rate within 100k kms. And at times it was impossible to get to a dealer within the 100km limp mode - then it's a fun drive at 30 km/h for the rest of the trip; we had a crew that had to do a 300 km trip like that.

If the hybrids work well in the F150 and Tundra that could spell the end for diesels. Diesel engines are still good enough when compared to gas engines for heavy hauling that it's worth the risk with the emissions. If the electric motors can close this gap fleets will much prefer spending the premium engine cost on a hybrid system over diesel. Not to mention the good PR the companies will get from moving to electrics.

JLS in WA and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  9. Dec 29, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Great points for sure. There will be a paradigm shift eventually but not as fast as some certain folks think. Bazzion of tons of freight are being moved across our country now by diesel powered semi's, not to mention rail. Rail engines are already an electric/dino combo.aka hybrid. Our infrastructure has to be in place to provide charging stations. I won't mention the enormous amount of rare earths that will be needed to be mined to provide the amount of reliable batteries to pull off such a feat. Emphasis on mines. You can't pull rare earths out of your ass. Being "green" isn't so easy when you think about it. Going green is a good thing by all means but we have to be pragmatic about how we get there. My 2 cents.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Terndrerrr, Istvank11, PLC721 and 4 others like this.
  10. Dec 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    It'll be interesting when one of the big 3 (my bet is on Ford since they're doing it on half tons) go to hybrid in the HD market - I don't see electric as an option for fleets, at least where I work. The shift away from diesel is already happening in the fleet market - company I work for would have been 75-80% diesel, but now it's 90% gas, diesels are either old trucks (2014 or less) or the few F550's, all new F350's or less are gassers. So it'll be 2 to 3 years before we get a good read from Ford and Toyota (based on rumors) on how the hybrids do hauling loads, then they have to transfer that tech to the HD market, so that puts it around 3-5 years before hybrids are even in them, and that's if they work well hauling.

11. Dec 29, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    OH tundra

OH tundra 21 Pro lunar rock

Member:
    If I was to do it all over again I would not purchase a diesel, I think 90 percent of daily use can be done with a gas HD truck for most people. Prior to these systems that choke out diesels it was much smarter to purchase a diesel for many reasons. I don’t believe that it’s worth owning a diesel unless absolutely necessary for daily use. I have a friend that purchased a brand new 75k ram 3500. At about 80k miles the truck needed about 15k worth of work to the motor. Most of the problems were related to the systems designed to keep these things cleaner. I’m not sure that these trucks will offer the same longevity that they did 15 years ago. If I ever decide that I need a HD truck again I will put my money on a gas HD before spending 70k on a diesel.

equin, Black Wolf and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  12. Dec 29, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Gas motors have gotten as powerful as a diesel from not that long ago. I can definitely see fleets wanting to save money on the initial purchase

13. Dec 29, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    The primary problem with this shift is that most diesels will get 14 mpg empty or loaded, while the gas engines will drop to 9 mpg (if you're lucky) when you're working then.

Dalandshark likes this.
  14. Dec 29, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    OH tundra

OH tundra 21 Pro lunar rock

Member:
    I completely agree that the benefits of having better mpg in a diesel is a big incentive over gas. I also think that the added cost of diesel fuel will keep those savings close to a gas truck. It was super shocking that my Chevy 3500 that could tow 35000 pounds and had a payload of 5800 pounds got better mpg than my tundra. It’s amazing what they can accomplish with these machines.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  15. Dec 29, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    That's where I'm curious what the hybrid system will do. Will it be 9 loaded but 20 empty, will it improve loaded at all? Electric vehicles provide enough power but for fleet applications they have to be able to do 300 km of driving loaded AND idle all day, while it's -40 out. That's why I think the first HD's that are electric drive will be like locomotives with an onboard generator.

16. Dec 29, 2020 at 5:29 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    How about a 1200 trip, forced rest after 8 or 10 hours for good reason, 100 degrees outside, and you have a load of frozen chickens to keep frozen while idling for hours??? The only way is with an onboard generator and dino in the tank. I still will pass on a RAM though.......:puke:

17. Dec 30, 2020 at 2:07 AM
    Travalan

Travalan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Own a Ram rebel, zr2 duramax, 96tahoe, and a ford f150. Im looking to trade ram for a pro soon so I get the concerns but my ram rebel has not been as bad as everyone told me it would be. Runs good rides great. Air ride adjustable, adds 2 inches for off road drops for economy on highway. I run 34.5 inch KO2 tires and see 12-14 in town/ 15-17 highway. Zr2 has 32 inch tires duratrac 18-20mpg in town short trips. Highway we can see 30- best 37 mpgs and love it on and off road!
    Want the Toyota to be my last big truck purchase until debt is all gone.(or I haul a huge camper for hunting, fishing, etc. not likely as I wanna be debt free when I retire in 8-10 years.
    Fuel economy get a mid size truck that you can rack up the miles on and not worry as it can or will be replaced.(my ZR2 will never ever be replaced, upgraded but never replaced its that damn good!)
    Or get a smaller diesel optioned truck for work and play. Ram ecodiesel has had emissions issues but platform is solid, runs strong and new updated version is even stronger and efficient(third choice if Toyota dealers don’t stop shady deals on trucks)
    Second is AT4 2500 diesel or AT4 6.2, only after the tundra trd pro because its kinda a dream to have a Toyota truck and especially one that fits my lifestyle so well!
    Have owned lots of vehicles but will likely never go back to a small car over an SUV or Truck. I have seen way to many accidents with small cars that just didn’t hold up to crash rating standards. You get mpgs for sure no doubt but cant speak to safety.
    Top versions of new trucks have more moving parts, turbos, superchargers, hybrid assist, hybrid duel system and full electric cars trucks and SUV’s.
    1. Truck that produces mpgs and has a solid engine will likely be a mid sized truck. Small four banger, v6 option or diesel.
    2. Full size truck that produces mpgs and has actual solid drivetrain. Turbo v6, diesel, or a v8 cylinder deact/hybrid system.
    3. Solid running truck full size or otherwise but lose mpgs for longevity and or simplicity. V8 no hybrid/turbo/cyl deactivation(or in my case I just tune it out and leave it the f alone and it negates lag, wierd shifts, odd exhaust drone and vehicle shutter.) For instance had a 2014 gmc Sierra lifted 35 inch tires. After it lagged, shifted awful, droning (oh maybe you should have regeared for tires). Tuned the engine and trans for good measure, not a hot tune but a smooth powerful tune on a 5.3 with direct injection. Ran great saw 12-14mpg in town 17-18 on highway when I was not smashing the go peddle. Towing a huge metal car trailer with a old f100 long bed with a cushman golf cart in the back from new mexico to Indiana I was 6-8mpgs but it was never a struggle. Dont know the exact weight of trailer but it was likely a hair passed 8.5k(trailer/truck on trailer old/cushman scoot golf cart all old and solid steel and heavy!)
    Hard to find a balance of mpgs vs reliability. Or just buy what you want and can afford and enjoy it as lifes too short! Rant over...

18. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    crewmaxlmt

crewmaxlmt How dare you!

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited
    The death of the diesel engine began in the early 2000's with the introduction of the EGR coolers. From there all they have done is throw more emission equipment on the engines hindering their ability to breathe properly. In my opinion if you need a diesel, that is fine. Just make sure that you "fix" the engine properly once out of warranty.

Keep in mind that the manufacturers point to the environmentalist saying "they forced us to do this to the engine". Meanwhile they are more than happy to collect 7-10k in repairs for failed emissions equipment at 150k miles.

Cpl_Punishment and PLC721 like this.
  19. Dec 30, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    Ferries and many Busses have been diesel electric for a long time too... and as far as the mineral mining for batteries - its okay because the mining is happening in other countries where we don’t see it! And when the batteries are all used up, we can send them back there for “recycling”. :facepalm:

20. Dec 30, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    daria

daria N+1 Staff Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    381 HP dog hauler
    @PLC721
    Front or rear track bar?

We were not impressed with the front. Rear was great.

21. Dec 30, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    Front... I’ve also been told I should have bought the Icon front

I think you asked in the wrong thread haha!

22. Dec 31, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    ssnyt

ssnyt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    op, i was in the same boat as you. i own a 2006 tundra and know the gas mileage it gets and the new one is worse. that being said, i did the math and the tundra even with its poor gas mileage is still the better buy than the ram.

i bought a used pro with 18k miles. the rebel i was looking at was $60k with the air suspension. the real world mileage of the rebel is 18-19. the real world mileage of the pro is 13-15. do the math yourself and you will see the cost of gas is negligible compared to the time you spend at the RAM dealer for warranty repair and other nonsense.

i am a mopar guy and it was hard for me to come to the conclusion that the hemi just wasnt worth it.

23. Dec 31, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    ssnyt

ssnyt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    the at4 1500 was what i was going back and forth with before buying my pro. reliability won me over.

24. Dec 31, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    AT4 with the 6.2 was real tempting to me

Terndrerrr and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  25. Dec 31, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    Catmann1972

Catmann1972 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport
    I wonder how much this can tow, drop a 5th wheel on this thing and let her rip down the highway

26. Jan 1, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    Question for the Ram guys. So my son just purchased a 2021 Ram Rebel I could not convince him to buy a Tundra. So he is wondering what is a good exhaust system with no drone?

27. Jan 1, 2021 at 8:31 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    No drone? He shoulda got a Prius then!

28. Jan 1, 2021 at 8:40 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    Ba muffler has no drone and its bad ass sound

bleach likes this.
  29. Jan 1, 2021 at 8:42 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    I don't need any muffler for a real bad ass sound, especially after beans or cabbage.:D

Rica25[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jan 1, 2021 at 9:15 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    Get a regular Ram single exhaust, any others I've seen around are even louder than the stock Ram dual exhaust that comes on the Rebel.

Rica25[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top