1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra for a work truck?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Alloutdrs1, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jan 31, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Crewmax Chris Paper Airplane Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 DoubleCab
    You said you need the bed space too. @ColoradoTJ makes a good point to get that Double Cab with a long bed. I tow my car trailer with my Crewmax and have no issues. I towed a car to Albany, NY (528 mile round trip) when it was a week old and it was awesome. How old is your daughter? My son is 20 months and no longer in the infant seat and I will say the reason I upgraded was the size of the cab on this truck. All the other stuff was just added bonuses. I have no doubt that it's a workhorse and that you'd be fine with this as a work truck. You'd be very happy. I came out of a Chevy 3/4 ton and I'm thrilled.

2. Jan 31, 2017 at 6:09 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    My daughter is going on 3yrs this April, and I'm only 5'6 so with the seat where I need it in the double cab she would have plenty of room. Double cab of the Tundra will give her 2" more then what she has in my crew cab Tacoma. Good to hear you came from a 3/4ton and have no regrets!

3. Jan 31, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    Awesome on the interior space issue! Without a doubt, no regrets. The 3/4 ton could only haul about 2,000 lbs more than this truck. It was also a lot taller, which meant a lot more leveling of loads was in order every time it was hauling a trailer. This Tundra feels like the rear of it is a 3/4 ton and the front is a 1/2 ton. It is a STRONG truck. Plus 20 more horsepower than the 3/4 ton out of the factory. In the summer when I'm racing, I have the car trailer with the car, extra tires and rims, and enough tools to be able to jack it up and cut it apart to bring it home if needed. A full bed plus a car and trailer and it doesn't break a sweat.

ColoradoTJ and zcarpenter92 like this.
  4. Jan 31, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    Wrongside

Wrongside New Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    Tundras are pretty popular with small businesses around here. And from I've seen, seem to be growing in popularity in that market segment.

GM and Ford 5.0 1/2 tons still by far dominate overall, especially with larger companies. I'd assume much of that is their more aggressive/attractive fleet programs.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  5. Jan 31, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    I drove a Tundra at my previous job, mainly just whenever my Duramax was in the shop. I pulled trailers that were well over the GVWR, and generally romped it around in fields, and she ran like a champ. If I could've, I'd of had a Duramax for pulling and a Tundra just for checking fields. I wouldn't hesitate to have one for a work truck, especially since it seems like you don't want to make a jump to diesel.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  6. Jan 31, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Lots of 2nd and 3d gen Tundra work trucks around these parts.

I have right now in my personal shop in my backyard, a friends 1st gen 2006 Tundra double cab, 4.7L 4x4. He has two identical actually, he bought them last spring from a mining exploration company. This one has 332,000 km, the other has about 390,000 km on it. They gave both been to hell and back, 50 times over, or more. It's very easy to see they were beaten down the roughest and muddiest back roads and trails, bottomed out on rocks regularly, hauled quads, snowmobiles, tools, and were flat-out abused their whole lives. When he got them, each truck had a broken leaf spring, one had blown out rear shocks, torn exhaust resonator, and each truck had a cracked left exhaust manifold (why the one is in my shop right now), and one had a broken inner CV joint. All that abuse, and no oil leaks from the engine, transmission, transfer case, diffs, transmissions shift nicely, engines run strong and use no oil. All door hinges are still tight, all latches work like new, all power windows work just fine. There is no possible way you will use / abuse a truck YOU own and pay for this badly, and I'd say they stood up amazingly well to 10 years of torture. And 2nd/3rd gen Tundras are a lot more truck than a first gen.

When the going gets tough, the tough get Toyotas.

7. Jan 31, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    My tundra is daily driver, kid hauler, mall crawler, trail whale, tent base, wood/rock/tile/etc hauler......

8. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    What year Chevy 3/4 ton did you have?

9. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    ^^^ Like that one. Gonna steal that from us and use it :)

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  10. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:25 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    It was a 2015. 6.0 gas jobby. I guess it was a difference of 3,000 pounds. My bigger issue than towing (because my race car is only 1780 pounds) is the plowing. I don't need the heavy duty suspension in the front because I don't plow anything bigger than a few smaller driveways and sometimes my lot at work when they haven't gotten here before me. The 3/4 ton was great to plow in, but for what I need it for, the Tundra does just fine. The Fisher HT Series plow is so light, too. This thing is only 400-some odd pounds on the front of the truck.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    For hauling look here: https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-do-you-haul-with-your-tundra.5658/#post-135199
    For towing look here: https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-do-you-tow-with-your-tundra.238/

12. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    One thing about the crew max is I roll down the back window to carry long lengths of lumber. It's also nice when there's a Ford behind you at a stop light, 'cause they can't. haha. I'm not a fan of lumber racks 'cause they're noisy, expensive, often rust and hard to store.

joonbug likes this.
  13. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I like Trail Whale. Pretty much sums it up. :thumbsup:

landphil likes this.
  14. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    It doesn't make sense to keep a 3/4 or 1 ton if you don't use it. Totally get it.

What race car do you have? Inquiring minds want to know.....

15. Jan 31, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    Without a doubt. The 3/4 ton served its purpose for a few years but when it came time to need something with a larger cab for my son, a 3/4 Chevy doesn't come with a 5.5 bed. The 1/2 tons do, but as you said earlier, the Tundra is the real 1/2 ton. Just made more sense, for me anyway.

I race at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway in Scarborough, ME. There is a "low cost"(nothing in racing is low cost), "entry level" (there are varsity and junior varsity divisions) Thursday Thunder program. It is a 1/3 mile paved oval bullring. I race in the poorly names Beetle Bug Division. 4 cylinder cars, on DOT tires. We are the second fastest division out there on Thursdays, running the 1/3 in about 19 seconds. I have a 1991 Honda CRX Si that is new to me this year. I have been beaten handily by this car for the past few years. I ran a 1994 Civic DX last year. Time to find out if it's the car or the driver think!

IIMG_4847.jpg
    This is with the signatures (at $5 a pop) raising money for the Dream Factory of Maine.

IMG_4840.jpg
    Before much fund raising

IMG_3994.jpg
    In action...

IMG_4005.jpg
    Not in action...

16. Jan 31, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That is probably as much fun as a man can have with his pants still on. :thumbsup::thumbsup::hattip:

831Tun, Law323 and Crewmax Chris like this.
  17. Jan 31, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    True story!

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 31, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    Next door neighbor would love to use Tundras for his A/C business, but he said the Ford fleet program is very aggressive. He does complain about the time his trucks spend in the shop for repairs. Neighbor across the street drives a Ford F350 and is a foreman for a construction company. He uses his truck to do a lot of heavy hauling and trailers his farm tractor to his ranch 60 miles north of here. He told me that a lot of "the good ole boys" at work drive Tundras - they just last a long time (lots of miles) and take a beating - I believe he is referring to 1st and 2nd gen. models, but he really liked my 3rd gen.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  19. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Ford / Chevy have the fleet market cornered for sure, and of those two Ford kills GM due to pricing. My work truck is a 2015 F250 6.2L gas truck. It's nice, glad I am not fueling that thing with my wallet, but it has been a pretty good truck. The sticker on it was 46k, and our fleet manager said we paid 30k for it.

20. Jan 31, 2017 at 1:10 PM
    PR_02

PR_02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Wauconda, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 CrewMax Platinum
    Just bought mine, so can't speak from experience. I saw this video before I bought my truck, if you didn't already believe in Toyota dependability this will help.

https://youtu.be/1HnokrriP_c

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    ColoradoTJ and Crewmax Chris like this.
  21. Jan 31, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    Rangers

Rangers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bad Barcelona TRD Pro
    TRD sway bar
    Don't hesitate. I pull right at 7,400 # all day almost every day.
    Also not uncommon to have 1,000# in the bed at the same time.
    These Tundras are a BEAST!!
    My only gripe is the built in electric brake controller is to much or not enough and even with keeping my trailer brakes in working order I do warp rotors.

The funny thing is I pulled this same trailer with my 2005 4.7 and never warped one rotor. Squatted the little tundra so bad I drug the safety chains off the trailer 2 or 3 times. WTH? a man has to work.

I've put almost 300,000 miles on tundras workinh then to death and other than brakes they are as good as it gets.

IMG_0026.jpg

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  22. Jan 31, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    If your pulling that much everyday with your Tundra I should be plenty fine. Hate to hear that on the rotors, my taco warped rotors to until I upgraded them to an ebc set. My area is pretty much as flat as it gets so hopefully this wont become an issue for me.

I stopped by and looked at the black sr5 again, sharp looking truck but I think I'm going to hold out and locate a silver or white sr5. Those colors will look cleaner even when dirty compared to the black. The black truck has the sand beige seats which I really liked.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  23. Jan 31, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    Tommyboyl

Tommyboyl New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 black limited crew max
    Pro suspension skidplate and shifter oem audio plus weathertech tint pro grille headlights mirrors and door handles
    My buddy has a 2007 double cab tundra with 175000 miles and tows 5 times a week enclosed trailer for contractors equipment only has replaced the radiator tires brakes and oil

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  24. Feb 2, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    The more I research these trucks the more I feel better about them for work! Seems also like while there mileage is lower then other full-size trucks its actually more stable when actually asked to do work.

I liked the black sr5 with sand beige interior I originally looked at but for my purposes I'm afraid I would regret it quickly. Searching for a sr5 in silver but boy are they hard to come by, not many double cabs in my area as well.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  25. Feb 2, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Hold out for what you want.

Silver is bad ass color. Good choice.

For what you do, I personally think you will be extremely happy. This comes from a guy that no longer ownes one, but would in a heartbeat if what I tow now, weight wise, was dropped by 2-3000k lbs. The Tundra brought a smile to my face every time the key was turned on.

I used my truck for work: 3.75 years and 85k miles.

IMG_0685.jpg IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg

26. Feb 2, 2017 at 6:37 PM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
  27. Feb 2, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Colorado tj, love the action shots! Truck seems to handle all those loads very well. Is that stock suspension in those pics? I will agree with you about bringing a smile to your face when you start it up, when I started up the one I looked at and that 5.7 fires up with such authority I couldn't help but smile!

Blue falcon, I watched that deconstructed series last night. Pretty interesting stuff.

BlueFalconActual and ColoradoTJ like this.
  28. Feb 2, 2017 at 6:55 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Thanks for the video. So what I can take from that is that my truck will survive just fine my 20 mile suburban daily commute on smooth tree lined streets? ;)

29. Feb 2, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The first two pictures, no. I had airbags with the Jeep and hellwigs on with the camper picture. Those two loads were the demise of my Tundra ownership for what I do and where I go. My flatbed is just under 3k lbs empty, then throw a 5k brick on it, then go over Vail Pass (Ike Gauntlet), it was just to much. Our Jeeping club just purchased a lowboy 26' gooseneck flatbed trailer and one of the other members just purchased a 40' toyhauler to use in conjunction so everyone has a shit, shower, sleep in comfort instead of our heads in the mud.

The heaviest load was the wood by far. That put a hurtin on my 14k rated trailer, and then pulled it up to the mountains in the background to my buddies mountain property. It actually did well, probably due to lower speeds (nothing over 55). Getting up to my friends property was a long 4lo adventure.

Overall Tundra ownership is an A-. I'm going to give the towing a B at best due to low tongue weight and capacity. Now to be fair, some of the other 1/2 tons with 12k lb rating can't really tow that much day in, day out. I know some construction company owners that tried that, didn't last long.
    The Tundra can do its advertised weight day in and long into the night. It might be a little slower getting it done, but it is faster than the truck on the side of the road broke down every day of the week.

Crewmax Chris and landphil like this.
  30. Feb 2, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    J4RR3N4

J4RR3N4 New Member

Member:
    South east Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra
    3” lift on 35’s
    IMG_5809.PNG.jpg If it works, it works.

Products Discussed in

To Top