1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra As Tow Vehicle

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Greg Marmalard, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:30 PM
    Greg Marmalard

Greg Marmalard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Hi,

I've been towing a 22 foot Airstream trailer with a 2013 Tacoma. The Tacoma gets the job done but it's probably working about 80-90% of max and I fear I may burn it up sooner than later. It's got 70K miles and the trans has always bugged me. Weird shift point or.....

Anyways I'm eyeing a 2019 Tundra TRD Off Road as an upgrade but see LOTS of complaints about poor payload and mileage. Reviews tends to equate tried and true with long in the tooth so difficult to determine if a worthy candidate. Reviewers love the F150 but it's ~$10K more for a model that rivals the TRD OR IMO!

I guess what ever I'm hauling in my Tacoma should fit without question in the Tundra. I was about maxed out on the Tacoma with ~300lbs to spare....

Is it just getting lesser reviews due to older design? I'm not crazy about the new Tacoma's so if the Tundra maintains more of a truck sensibility to it I'm fine with that! Don't need an abundance of electronic bells and whistles and XM radio etc....

I'm looking at one tomorrow brand new for ~$38K! at the dealer!

Thanks,

Greg M

2. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    I own both. The tundra is wonderful for towing. The 2 are not comparable.

I hate towing anything up to 2000 lbs with the Tacoma. After 2k, I use the tundra.

I have a half ton towable 5 the wheel that I pull with the tundra. It does the job just fine.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  4. Mar 15, 2019 at 6:55 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    First off Welcome from Ohio.

5. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:26 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Towed my 5000 lb Bay Champ from LaFayette to Dallas with 2013 Tacoma at 70-75 mph on IH. No problems other then filling gas tank 3 times. Ran 93 on one tank and got +1mpg. I bought Tundra for 38 gallon tank so I would not have to stop for gas on way home from lake. Tundra definitely handles it better.

WP_20170630_001.jpg

YeeYeeTundra likes this.
  6. Mar 15, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    The Tundra is one of the best towing half tons.

If you’re doing the job with a Tacoma, the Tundra will make you feel like a fool for not switching sooner.

I had a 14’ Tacoma and a 12’ CM Tundra at the same time. The mileage wasn’t significant enough to complain about.

Do the research on payload, and a DC vs a CM might make the decision for you.

Good luck in your search, welcome to the site.

7. Mar 15, 2019 at 10:02 PM
    Greg Marmalard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks all!

Seems the TRD Sport may be the better TV but can't find a one nearby....Lots of OR's and they're cheaper due to no "convenience package" that could make towing nicer.....

Hmmm....

Greg M

8. Mar 15, 2019 at 10:13 PM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    I have both a 2012 Tacoma and a Tundra. No comparison.
    My avg mileage is honestly about the same in both trucks. Tacoma gets better mileage in town stop/go traffic but my highway mileage is the same.
    The larger fuel tank in the tundra allows me to not be constantly searching for gas stations every 2.5 hrs while towing.
    The Tacoma could manage my enclosed (7X7x16)5000lbs loaded, but just barely.
    Wind resistance killed me @70mph, had to lane prep, speed up to prepare for hills, etc.
    I got the TRD sport Tundra for the rear sway bar. It rides a little stiff empty with 20" wheels and double sway bars.
    But as far as towing goes the truck tows it like a dream, makes towing much more stress free.

koditten likes this.
  9. Mar 16, 2019 at 3:17 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    X2, I also have a 2012 Tacoma and while it can pull it's not fun at all. I too won't go over 2k, IMO the Tacoma just isn't meant for towing, it does a lot of things well but towing isn't it's strong suit. The Tundra makes towing so easy, confident and relaxed, you won't regret going to a Tundra.

10. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:20 AM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Crew Max SR5 Tundra
    Husky Floor Mats, Diamond back lid, Coverking seat covers, More gas.
    I still have my 2015 Taco and added a 18 tundra crewmax 5.7... No comparison. Don't fall for the ford B.S. eco turds aren't the answer. There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to towing. The tundra is an animal. I pull a 21' Camplite camper very similar to yours and you forget it's back there. The taco could do it, but it was pissed off about it. Also remember that the tundra mileage suffers because it doesn't drop cylinders or any of that other bullshit. That is the reason I bought mine before they changed. Jump on one and you will see.

11. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:57 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Agreed.
    Cylinder de-activation. stop / start tech, turbos, active aero, hybrid systems, batteries. All these systems work well when functioning correctly, the issue that they add complexity and cost while reducing long-term reliability.
    Keep it simple stupid. The tundra excels at this.

12. Mar 16, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    PA452

PA452 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    I had an '07 and '15 Tacoma. Heaviest thing I used to tow was my BX23 on a 16' landscape trailer, totaling around 4700#, maybe a little more. The Tacoma handled it fine, but the Tundra handles it like a dream.

The bad reviews are bull IMO. I'd much rather have my Tundra than an F150.

Markman likes this.
  13. Mar 16, 2019 at 9:06 PM
    Greg Marmalard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Test drove a Tundra double cab OR today... It was a base model and I see the reason for part of the review gripes... bench seat and column shifting?! Definitely a work truck!

I tried to find the "upgraded" version with bucket seats and mid console shifter but none to be found locally.

Dealer pissed me off too! The low balled me on my trade in and showed me an offer made on a base model, missing most of my TRD Sport upgrades and it said "auction price". Figuring they would just turn it over to another dealer at most. THEN went on and on about how the spend $1000's to go over everything with a fine tooth comb before resale! Mine needed a 2 hour detail to be show room clean! When I brought up KBB they said "that's a price for insurance" I inquired why does it day "dealer trade in value" which led to another song and dance.

I had to twist their arm to make them work the number with my PRE-APPROVED loan I brought in! I had a worked out 3.49 and they based it on 4.9!

Seemed they kept getting everything wrong and expected me to accept it as the way it is instead of walking across the room and fixing the numbers. Then had the gall to try to pressure me with "you've taken up 3 hours of my time". I'd literally crunched numbers 10x and came up with working scenarios where I could get a $40K truck for less than $600 a month and they were showing me deals of close to $900 and shoving a pen at me! Again at their 4.9 apr! I have a 760 FICO!

Why do dealers have to be like this...

sigh...

MR. Marmalard to you buddy!

NoMoTaco likes this.
  14. Mar 16, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    Ok, so your dealer is a tool. Find another one, and work with the internet sales folks only before you go in in-person. Also,if their selection is that narrow, they’re the wrong choice anyhow. Sorry your dealer sucks, but that’s not an indictment of the Tundra. Just my .02...

plumber802 and koditten like this.
  15. Mar 17, 2019 at 12:02 AM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    The bench seat and the bucket seats are the same. One just has a console with console shifter and the other has a 3rd seat with a column shifter.

I, myself like the column shifter. It seems like I have more control over what gear I run, plus my right hand is near the steering wheel. I also like the secret compartment under the middle seat.

Its your money and you should get what you want. Sorry you got a tool for a salesman. Find another dealer. Tundra's are not the hottest Toyota sellers, so I would think they would want to work with you.

16. Mar 17, 2019 at 4:10 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Greg, just find another dealer that will treat you honestly and with respect. Like someone else suggested find the internet sales manager of a nearby dealership and put together your deal that way. This is what I did. Saved $5500 off the MSRP and no BS numbers games. Had to travel 2 1//2 hours away but sooooooo worth it. My local dealership's sales dept was a waste of time. Looking forward to hearing the outcome.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  17. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:52 AM
    Greg Marmalard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

I was dealing with internet sales with a few up to 200 miles away and they quickly transferred me to salesmen. I started with Edmunds shopping tool and have been contacted by every dealer within 200 miles and they all seem the same. They all think driving 200 miles for a test drive is reasonable...

Am I doing something wrong? How does one get in touch with such internet sales manager?

Thanks,

Greg

18. Mar 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Are you able to test drive a Tundra at your local dealership? When I was in the process of buying mine (via email mostly) I did speak by phone with the internet sales manager a couple of times. A regular sales person took care of the delivery process when we went to pick it up. There wasn't a lot of haggling back and forth in my case since they gave me a great discount up front. I think I was able to squeeze an extra $50 out of them to get me to a rounded number. 2018 Platinum MSRP: $52,050 Purchase price: $46,500 before TTL. I did not finance.

19. Mar 17, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    Greg Marmalard

Member:
    Vehicle:

Yea.. I liked the way it handled ok but the cockpit felt like a down grade from the Tacoma. I have an eye on a TRD OR that has "bucket seats" and console shifter and just nicer looks to my senses.

I'm trying to decide if the OR or Sport is a better tow vehicle. The Sport comes with "convenience package" that may make it safer. I can't determine which suspension would suit me as the Sport has a more tuned system but that may equate to softer ride instead of more firm tow ride.

I found both for between $39-$40K before fees...

Greg

20. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    Greg Marmalard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Oddly..

I happen to be at a national Escapees RV rally in Tucson. There are over 1000 RV's here! Most are motor homes but of the say ~200 non 5th wheel trailers I found exactly ZERO Tundras to talk to owners about... ZERO! Nada, zip, zilch...

Mostly Dodge 1500 and F150's. More Chevy's than I expected. Two Tacomas but towing small Casitas...BUT Most of these guys have brand new stuff and get new every 3-5 years from what I gather.... I don't want to play the trade in game and want one good solid truck I can expect 10+ years of service from and I think the Tundra is the only one that will provide that..

Greg

21. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:44 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    I am making that assumption too.

If you look at Consumer Reports and compare reliability data for the different full size trucks, it becomes obvious that the Dodges, Chevys, GMCs, and yup, the Fords simply can’t compete. Their data stacked against the Tundra provides insurmountable proof that they are incapable of competing with Tundra keeping trucks on the road for hassle-free years.

Toyota doesn’t overplay their hand, and they also are conservative with the model year changes, which I don’t mind a bit. I am happy to see that my truck has brothers from 5,6,7 years ago that still look similar (and cool).

I hope the Tundra turns out to be a good truck for what you’re doing. I hope towing isn’t too far in my future!

22. Mar 17, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Good luck on whatever you chose. For me the Platinum quilted leather seats had me at hello...

23. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    Greg Marmalard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Question:

Is the tow package standard on TRD Off Road?

Some dealers spell it out "tow package" while others have items like oil cooler included which kinda equals tow package to me but I'm confused.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one but it says tow capacity 9000 instead of the 10200 I see on those that say tow package.

Also it seems the ones with column shifter are the ones that say tow package whereas the console shifters lack the label...

SO confusing!

Thanks,

Greg!

24. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    BWinter

BWinter New Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    2018 White 1794, TRD Off Road, 4x4
    I bought my 2018 1794 through my local dealer through the COSTCO auto buying program. I payed dealer cost minus another $1500 Toyota rebate. No hassle about price or anything else. Could be worth joining COSTCO for this program alone. I have no financial interest in COSTCO just try to provide some helpful information. Short of that, find another dealer.

Not sure how the tow package works in to the truck. As far as I know, if you buy the 5.7 V8 then it comes with the tow package. Others may know differently.

25. Mar 17, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Jeremylee

Jeremylee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Tundra limited TRD

Check the sticker the tow package comes with 4.30 gears, hitch receiver, engine oil and transmission cooler.

26. Mar 17, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    When last I checked, EVERY truck with the 5.7 has the tow package already

27. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    Taco-Blender

Taco-Blender Old Guys Rule

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4
    ^^^^ This right here.

Costco is a great way to buy if you don't want to go though the typical salesman BS. You can also have the dealer take off all the add on crap like paint protection, window etching, service contract, etc, etc. If there is an add on that you want, let's say window tint, it's 15% off.

Will you get the best deal of your life, no. But, you will get a super fair deal without all the BS, stress, and time wasting.

We used them last year for my 79 yr old Mom and her new CRV. She got exactly what she wanted and nothing she didn't want @ $1200 under invoice without stepping foot in the dealer until she was ready to pick it up and write a check.[/QUOTE]

28. Mar 17, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    All 5.7 have tow package.

2 wheel drive trucks have the higher tow capacity.

29. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    Greg Marmalard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Alright!

Well... dealership IT guys need to get their act together! MOST of the ones I was dealing with had photos from different models! Steel and alloy on the same stock number! Column and console shifters...Man what a head ache for me and the salesman!

Looks like I found what I want so will take a road trip in a few days to make sure!

Still mixed feelings trading in my Tacoma.....

Greg

30. Mar 17, 2019 at 10:58 PM
    hey smell this

hey smell this New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    Any half ton pickup will easily tow your trailer. I have a Tundra of course but i don’t think the other brands are all junk. I wouldn’t trust the Ford ecoboost for long term reliability but there’s nothing wrong with the 5.0. Seemed quicker than the Tundra when I test drove it, and the Ford has higher payload.

Also, I don’t think there’s a huge difference in price in any of the trucks. Toyota’s seem to have less markup while the others come down off the sticker.

Products Discussed in

To Top