1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra + Airstream: Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by robatumd, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Sep 25, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    betotundra

betotundra Toyota for Life

Member:
    This is so sad and beyond my comprehension (I do understand the math behind it though), how could Toyota spec the tundra with such a low payload capacity? again, beyond my comprehension

2. Sep 25, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I've been told it was very class competitive in 2007.

betotundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Sep 25, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR

The payload capacity is based on the weakest link of the Tundra. The weakest link for the Tundra is the rear suspension and the P rated tires. If Toyota had installed heavier leaf springs and LT tires the truck would have been rated with a higher payload number but doing so would sacrifice ride quality and fuel efficiency. Most looking for a 1/2 ton truck aren't concerned with payload and never look at the door jam for the rating. How it "feels" is the major concern.

4. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    aggie_tundra

aggie_tundra Always Tired

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 2500 Custom
    Tires don’t do shit for payload rating from what I’ve read. They just handle the load better. Only a better rear suspension would’ve improved it. Regardless, I hope they address that weakness with the redesigned tundra.

5. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    Jtundra81

Jtundra81 Just a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2019 cement tundra crewmax
    Also more to do with frame and not only suspension.
    That is the only thing I hate about the truck , payload is a joke

aggie_tundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    betotundra

Member:
    I totally get you Mr Ruggybuggy, I've also read you saying something along these lines in other threads, I value your opinion as a frequent tower and specially as a former Toyota Tech guy. However that's a big compromise from Toyota in this competitive 1/2 ton market. Hear/read things like "My wife’s Mazda CX-9 has the same payload as my tundra had" is still incomprehensible, I don't think Tundra's weakest link is as weak or weaker than the weakest link in said SUV.

On top of that if Tundra owners chooses to ad aftermarket higher rated tires and leafs that doesn't change formal/legal capacity of the truck. Might change it in "real life, practical application", but that does not saves your arse from being liable in i.e. an accident or a dispute with an insurance company. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  7. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    betotundra

Member:
    I echo your sentiment on this matter.

8. Sep 25, 2020 at 7:58 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR

Never suggested you can legally do anything about increasing the payload. Suspension improvements and tires help when weight is added. LT tires have a stronger sidewall and higher psi which makes for a more stable ride.

The frames on Tundras are definitely not the weak link. Rear leaf spring are and it doesn't take much weight before they are maxed out and riding on the bump stops. Most customers notice ride quality and aren't looking at payload number.

Everyone talks about the legal aspect of being over payload but I've never personally heard of anyone being denied coverage or being charged unless you are grossly negligent. Enforcement officers would be very busy people if they stopped everyone with a half ton pulling a trailer because the reality is that most are over payload. Enforcement is looking for the obvious signs of overloading like lower rear suspensions and higher front suspensions, bulging sidewalls and obvious negligence like pulling a 12K 5th wheel with a half ton. Being a couple hundred pounds over payload on a Tundra won't even raise an eyebrow.

https://youtu.be/h9gei7JoaOU

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top