1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tugging tow

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by tlakeTundra, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Aug 15, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    tlakeTundra

tlakeTundra [OP] Flying Pig 2.0 aka "Porkasus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    20" Wheels, TSS package, tint, flow master exhaust, TRD sway bars Front and Rear, Tow mirrors. Husky mats, X liner chrome delete, Carhart seat covers, Transfer Flow 46-gallon gas tank, Driver side hand grab
    Soooooo got the trailer and have never towed before. Tundra did its job great. Blue mule set up locked in. A new trailer, Tundra brakes set and worked with a bit. On the highway there was, on and off, a tugging sensation at various times. Usually with rougher patches of road. Is this a normal experience?

2. Aug 15, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Sounds like the hitch ball might be too small, and is letting it move more than it should.
    That, or the load on the trailer is shifting. Liquid loads and loose loads will do that, or if you have too much weight rear of the trailer axle you could be getting a seesaw effect.

3. Aug 15, 2020 at 10:35 PM
    19crewmaxTRD

19crewmaxTRD Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    2019 white tundra crewmax
    During the tugging was the trailer swaying at all?

4. Aug 16, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    20" Wheels, TSS package, tint, flow master exhaust, TRD sway bars Front and Rear, Tow mirrors. Husky mats, X liner chrome delete, Carhart seat covers, Transfer Flow 46-gallon gas tank, Driver side hand grab
    Nope no swaying ... also this is an off-road style trailer, meaning firm suspension and a couple of inches more of ground clearance. Wondering if a brand new suspension under these circumstances means a lengthy break-in period

5. Aug 16, 2020 at 2:40 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I've never heard of a break in on a new trailer causing symptoms you are describing. Something is wrong. Do you have any pics of your set up?

6. Aug 16, 2020 at 2:53 PM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    Here ya go and I get that.... suspension is suspension or shocks. They do what they do

IMG_3688[5285].jpg
    IMG_3679[5287].jpg

GODZILLA likes this.
  7. Aug 16, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I'm drawing a bit of a blank on what else could cause the tugging. I'm tagging our towing expert. @ColoradoTJ what am I missing here?

8. Aug 16, 2020 at 3:11 PM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    Thank you

9. Aug 16, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    19crewmaxTRD

19crewmaxTRD Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    2019 white tundra crewmax
    I would run over a scale if you could, just so we could see how everything is loaded. The only thing I see which it’s hard to tell, but it looks like you might be a little high in the front you could drop the hitch on your truck and see if that helps.

JohnLakeman and tlakeTundra[OP] like this.
  10. Aug 16, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I wouldn't be surprised if that "tugging" you are feeling is the trailer going over bumps in the road. Especially with the trailer having an off-road suspension on it. I've had similar issues before towing a Uhaul trailer that probably didn't have the weight evening distributed. You may try moving some weight around in the trailer if you can.

11. Aug 16, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    So my guess is not enough tongue weight. In the pic your truck looks ass up with the trailer attached, makes me wonder

perhaps the weight distribution bars are set too tight?
    When i bought my trailer, i was given WD spring bars for a 800-1200lb tongue. My trailer isnt that heavy. I swapped them to 600lb bars and it completely fixed that tugging feeling

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  12. Aug 16, 2020 at 3:49 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I assume you took the loaded rig to a vacant parking lot to set up the brake controller properly?

13. Aug 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    So it is only two days old to us. We have looped around 40 ish miles on the highways for practice. There is literally nothing but standard GVW in the trailer. So perhaps bring crapload her up a bit and prepare to bolt? In reality, we are headed out nxt week for a breakin trip. What do you sagacious lads think?

14. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:01 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Try taking one link out of the WDH chain.

Those style hitched can buck a little and give you the push/pull sensation. I used to run the 4 point sway control with trunnion bars, which helps with this.

GODZILLA, tlakeTundra[OP] and Hbjeff like this.
  15. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Grab 2-300lbs of stuff from garage and put it in that front storage compartment. I’ll bet that calms the feeling down on a test drive.

its a gorgeous trailer man! Glad you found one, inventory is really low all over. We looked for almost 2 months to find ours. So glad we did, just finished a trip to the sequoia’s

tlakeTundra[OP] likes this.
  16. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    Brake control was set up at the dealership .... 9.5. Yet is that proper?

17. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    That might be a bit high. How does it feel when the brakes are used?

19crewmaxTRD likes this.
  18. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:19 PM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    Brakes are fine and working for smooth take-offs and braking. Cab and trailer brakes good but at 9.5 its a very slow gradual slow down no stop w/o pedal

19. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    My thought was maybe firm ride is making the controller think the truck brakes are being applied, and the "tugging" is actually the trailer brakes being applied by the controller.

I ran across a good video of setting the trailer brakes in a vacant parking lot but I couldn't find it again. Basically the guy got up the 25 mph with the rig loaded as it would be towing (brakes differently unloaded to loaded). He increased the controller setting until the trailer brakes were locking up, then backed off the setting slightly until they weren't locking.

20. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The trailer brakes will only activate with the service brakes, unless you use the manual brake actuator.

I adjust my brakes up until I feel a good firm pull from the trailer and then back off a little.

21. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Appears my thinking about the controller was wrong, so scratch that.

I'm getting off your original question, but do you could have the Toyota integrated brake controller?

22. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:36 PM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    Yes I have the squeeze application and electronic brake assist to dial in prior to the "squeeze"

23. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
  24. Aug 17, 2020 at 4:26 AM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    Gathering info in batches. Going to get this figured out. The support here has been great. Please keep it coming

25. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    marked001

marked001 New Member

Member:
    Probably not your issue, but I just went through the same thing last week. It almost felt like there was a short in the brakes and was causing them to apply intermitently. Got to the campground and unhitched the trailer and it turned out my ball was loose. Not at risk of falling off, but was definitley moving around alot.

26. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMAX SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Hook a 4 - 5000lb trailer up to a 5500lb truck, and the trailer is going to affect the truck somewhat. When it goes over bumps, the trailer is going to make the truck 'shiver'. You have to get used to it, and learn what's normal, and what's not.

27. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:05 AM
    Hurricane

Hurricane Default: Aggressive

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White 1794
    None
    My Tacoma had this same issue pulling a utility trailer with a massive zero-turn mower on it (probably 3k lbs trailer and mower). I’ve hooked the same load to my tundra and it doesn’t do this “surging” or pulling. Same hitch and ball too. I feel like your load is probably approaching the limit for what the truck wants to pull easily, and when the trailer tires contact imperfections in the road, they want to slow down. Basically the truck doesn’t have enough ass to keep the momentum going. But I don’t know what I’m talking about.

28. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMAX SR5 TRD Off-Road
    I think you're on the right track. Every truck will have a point where it will start to 'feel' the trailer. My Tundra pulling my 2500lb pop-up, I can't feel it at all back there, but that's because the trailer doesn't have enough weight to affect the truck in any way.

But when I hook up the 5000lbs (empty) dump trailer to the Tundra, that I CAN feel. It tugs and surges when going over bumps and road imperfections. It's not dangerous, and is just the trailer having an effect on the the truck. I imagine a travel trailer of the same weight would have the same effect.

29. Aug 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Ive towed 7k lbs with my tundra with zero bounce. The tugging feeling is not normal driving straight. It is from imbalance of weight, if the load is properly balanced it will stay smooth.

GODZILLA likes this.
  30. Aug 17, 2020 at 11:54 AM
    tlakeTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    TSS 4x4 Off Road White
    Going to the process of elimination on Wed. Hook the trailer up (BTW 4300 GVW) drive with a few hundred lbs in the front. The fresh water tank is empty so fill that up. See what happens. After that unplug the power to see if electric brakes are part of the issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top