1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Hesitates after driving for a while

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Toyoda Tundra, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Aug 9, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Toyoda Tundra

Toyoda Tundra [OP] Boxing and Tundras

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2WD 2004 AC Tundra. V8 strong
    Hello everyone, I’m new here. I have an issue with my 2004 V8 Toyota Tundra Access cab. When I first drive my truck it runs great and feels strong but after driving it for about 15-20 minutes it hesitates, I also noticed that when pressing the break at a red light or stop sign my rpms go up a little before coming to a complete stop. it idles normal when completely stopped, no vibrations or anything. I replaced the air filter, spark plugs, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor but didn’t fix the issue, no check engine light either. Any ideas or solutions? I would really appreciate it.

2. Aug 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Vacuum hoses. Check for disconnected ones or dry / old / cracking ones. Replace as necessary. A vacuum leak will cause symptoms like yours. Especially after the truck has warmed up. PCV valve (driver's side valve cover near the throttle body) is another good one to check. The valve can become non-functional and the seal around it can dry out and leak. Good luck.

shifty`, bmf4069 and MrAristo like this.
  3. Aug 12, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    Toyoda Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thankyou very much. I replaced the PCV valve and also did my valve cover gaskets because they were leaking, it seemed to have helped a little bit I can still feel the hesitation, another thing I noticed was that my truck seems to be running hot but it’s not overheating, the needle it’s always on the middle. I used to be able to put my hand on the hood and now I can’t because it immediately burns my hand. I replaced my radiator about 6 months ago. My fan seems to be working properly any other ideas?

4. Aug 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Perhaps the vehicle is overheating. I would do a recheck on the recently replaced radiator. If everything seems in order, hoses, thermostat, properly flushed and purged of air etc., then I would rethink why the radiator was replaced in the first place? Perhaps the issue was present prior to the radiator replacement. Overheated engines will run poorly. Gas can pre-ignite in hot cylinders and cause poor performance. I would trust your instincts on the heat issue as gauges can fail as well.

5. Oct 7, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    Toyoda Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hello again, back with my running hot issue. Just the other day I was able to get back and work on my Tundra, I replaced the radiator cap with an OEM one and it seems to have fixed it, my truck doesn’t seem to run hot anymore and it runs better now. Hopefully this helps anyone that’s having similar issues.

6. Oct 7, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    Handbanana

Handbanana New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    Trd sway front Trd sway rear Trd shift knob Nitto ridge grapplers OEM LED FOGS
    Radiator cap or thermostat. Cooler engines run a lot more efficiently

Toyoda Tundra[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    maybe now that you are paying more attention to every little details you have noticed this but I think that's normal and the torque converter is unlocking so the rpm goes up a little.

Products Discussed in

To Top