1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Pro Overlander In Progress

Discussion in '3rd Gen Builds (2014+)' started by BROGAN, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jun 12, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange TRD Pro
    35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (Previously: 295/70r18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2)| Method Vex 311 Wheels |ReadyLIFT 2” SST Lift Kit – Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Plus 2”| Camburg Trail Edition (CTE) front bumper with Smittybuilt X2O series 10K lb waterproof winch |Spidertrax Wheel Spacers 1.25” | N-FAB Drop Step with Bed Access | Coachbuilder Shackles +3 with Carrier Bearing Drop Kit | Rear Poly-Bushings Kit | Coachbuilder Front Strut Shim x4 (2-Left, 2-Right) | Pro Comp Long Travel Fender Flares | Husky Liners | Vehicle OCD Organizer + Tray | TRD Pro Black Letter Inserts | 50 Caliber Black Gunmetal Tip Bullet Antenna | Front and Rear Dashcam Apeman C550
    Howdy Tundras.com

I thought I should post my current Tundra build so far. First time poster, long time lurker. I’ve been using this website and forums like it since I got my Tundra. It’s been a great way to pick up a load of tips and tricks for self-installs. It also allows us all to get a good look at how the things we may want to add to our trucks will look in the end, and find out what works and what doesn’t. So I thought I’d share my build so you could get an idea of how certain things look in my specific combinations, as this site has helped me figure things out as I go.

Here it is in all its stock glory. 2015 Tundra TRD Pro.
    [​IMG]

Day one I put 295/70r18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s on the stock TRD Pro wheels. Great tire. Has been very capable off road, as well as quiet and reassuring over highway miles (as you would expect from an All-Terrain tire). You’ll need to remove the mud flaps to fit these, but I believe these are the largest tire that fits the TRD Pro stock without doing any body mount chop etc. I also added Bushwhacker fender flares, I had the intention to eventually get them color matched but never got around to it. When I added the flares I also added 1.25” Spidertrax wheel spacers in order to prevent the wheels and tires from looking “tucked in”. They lined up pretty nice with the flares after these. I also added Coachbuilder 3+ rear shackles and 2 Coachbuilder shims each side in the front. This gave the truck a small lift (maybe an inch) and slight rear rake and the beefy shackles prevent excessive sagging when the hauling or loading down the back.

[​IMG]

After some wheelin'
    [​IMG]

Another Side Shot; cleaner
    [​IMG]

Took the dogs to the lake
    [​IMG]

I added a few other accessories as well. I slapped on N-Fab Nerf bars. Replaced the factory headlights and taillights with Spyder LED Tube lights. Added black letter inserts in the side panels (“TRD Pro”) and rear (“TUDNRA”). Front and rear dash cams. And dropped in husky liners front and back (really a must do). I replaced the stock antenna with a 50 Cal bullet antenna, and surprisingly I still get HD radio (I mostly use Bluetooth audio anyway).

And that’s the way I let it sit for a while, while I saved up a new cash reserve, then.....

upload_2018-6-12_21-20-48.jpg

When it was time to have some more fun I called up the guys at Camburg and Jerry set me up with a Camburg Trail Edition (CTE) front bumper. I was looking for two things in an off-road bumper, high clearance and great approach angles, but also it had to be winch ready. Most bumpers could satisfy one or the other, but the CTE satisfies both and does it in style if you ask me. So I bolted up the Smittybuilt X2O series 10K lb waterproof winch. Feeling more capable now with a great approach angle and a nice winch I decided to get a little more “serious” about off road capabilities, so I hit up the guys at Discount Tire for some 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers which I decided to wrap around Method Vex 311’s. Obviously that set up is not going to fit on my rig, so I had to make it fit. ReadyLIFT makes a great product for anyone with a TRD Pro. I had initially resisted any urges to alter the geometry of the stock TRD Pro suspension, but then I found this product: 2” SST Lift Kit – Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Plus 2”. This kit was specifically designed to play nice with the TRD Pro remote reservoir Bilstein’s. Basically, it works out to a total of 4” of lift which would facilitate a 35” tire while maintaining that perfect geometry of the suspension. With the addition of the bigger tires I didn’t really want them sticking far outside the flares and slinging rocks up and down the side of the truck, so I replaced the Bushwhacker flares. I went with color matched Pro Comp Long Travel fender flares this time around, as I plan to upgrade to a long travel suspension when the factory suspension is worn out.

upload_2018-6-12_21-23-50.jpg

Cinching up the winch
    upload_2018-6-12_21-24-47.jpg

Testing out the highlift
    upload_2018-6-12_21-25-24.jpg

Wide Shot
    upload_2018-6-12_21-26-7.jpg

Ass Shot
    upload_2018-6-12_21-26-32.jpg

ReadyLIFT
    upload_2018-6-12_21-28-22.jpg

Near Future:

ARB Onboard Air Compressor (already own just need to install)

ARB Air Lockers

Rigid Series D A-Pillar Lights

Rear Bumper + Tailgate Tire Rack for full size spare

ESP underseat storage

Eventually:

TRD Supercharger

Bed Rack + RTT

Transferflow 48 gallon gas tank with skid plate

Platinum Tundra Sun Roof

XDS, Ortho281, Coachbuilder1 and 15 others like this.
  2. Jun 12, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra off-road
    Welcome!

3. Jun 12, 2018 at 7:42 PM
    gosolo

gosolo “The .com stands for communist”, Dale Gribble

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Central AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Icon leaf spring packs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Nice looking truck!
    Welcome aboard from AZ

4. Jun 12, 2018 at 7:46 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Tundra fanboy/lover....dryhumper...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L
    20% ceramic tinted windows, charcoal filter delete, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats, rear seat fold down mod, Tyger soft tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate actuator, rear diff breather relocate. Lots of love.
    Damn! Welcome. Nice truck, that’s a great first post.

5. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    Stroke250

Stroke250 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 TSS 4x4
    Welcome!

6. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    Juddrussell

Juddrussell New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra TRD Pro
    BAMF Bedrack, 295/70/r18 General Grabbers, Bedslide, Weathertech floor mats, and Tepui Autana Sky RTT.
    Truck looks awesome, excited to follow this one!

Did you keep the coachbuilder shackles and shims when you installed the ready lift?

7. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (Previously: 295/70r18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2)| Method Vex 311 Wheels |ReadyLIFT 2” SST Lift Kit – Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Plus 2”| Camburg Trail Edition (CTE) front bumper with Smittybuilt X2O series 10K lb waterproof winch |Spidertrax Wheel Spacers 1.25” | N-FAB Drop Step with Bed Access | Coachbuilder Shackles +3 with Carrier Bearing Drop Kit | Rear Poly-Bushings Kit | Coachbuilder Front Strut Shim x4 (2-Left, 2-Right) | Pro Comp Long Travel Fender Flares | Husky Liners | Vehicle OCD Organizer + Tray | TRD Pro Black Letter Inserts | 50 Caliber Black Gunmetal Tip Bullet Antenna | Front and Rear Dashcam Apeman C550
    The shackles aren't going anywhere. But the shims (which are pretty cheap honestly) didn't play nice with the ReadyLIFT according to my brother, who happens to be a master mechanic (and I'll have to say he has really helped this build along), he didnt think the alignment would work out right with shims on top of the ReadyLIFT. So they are off currently, but I dont really miss them.

8. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:47 PM
    Bates5450

Bates5450 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob Bates
    Dickinson, ND
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    Welcome from ND! Great looking setup! I’m sure it allows for the right sort of fun that just allows you to think clear and breathe easy after a rough week.

Now you’re making me need paint matched pro comp fender flares. I really think they look great. And most def functional.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  9. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas, Coronas and 'Merica

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Eastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L TRD
    In sig
    Welcome from eastern CO! Kind of surprised you went with a steel puck for an overlandinf vehicle, rather than aftermarket coilovers.

10. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    Yzed608

Yzed608 New Member

Member:
    Looks great! Do you need to cut the stock well openings for those fenders? They make the wheel openings look huge!

What do your CV angles look like? If that's 4" over stock (non Pro) I would think they have to be at a pretty decent angle.

11. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:53 PM
    Bates5450

Bates5450 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob Bates
    Dickinson, ND
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    They do require some fender trimming.

12. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    Snugtop XTR, 4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels
    Welcome from CO. Looks sharp!

13. Jun 12, 2018 at 9:10 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'm tracking what you're thinking. And I dont disagree. Like I was saying, the main idea for now was to fit the improved wheels and tires. The stock Bilstein's I dont expect to stay on for too much longer. I'll be upgrading to a long travel system soon enough.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  14. Jun 12, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas, Coronas and 'Merica

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Eastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L TRD
    In sig
    No disrespect meant, just curious. Damn! Hopefully you’re in a part of the country where you can really stretch it’s legs, like AZ or SoCal.

15. Jun 12, 2018 at 9:33 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It does require trimming of the stock well, so no going back. Even though the truck isnt lifted very much (relatively speaking) everyone seems to think it's a six inch lift or something bigger because the well openings are so deceiving.

I think the CV angle is great. My brother (the true mechanic) and I paid special attention to the steering rack and wouldn't do anything that would alter the tie rod angles.

16. Jun 12, 2018 at 9:51 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the welcome response everyone. And, this rig will see it's fair share of the CO countryside.

17. Jun 12, 2018 at 10:38 PM
    boloson

boloson New Member

Member:
    Luv that color. Curious as to where you'll be mounting the air compressor?

18. Jun 12, 2018 at 11:39 PM
    ARamirez73

ARamirez73 RIDIN' THE RAILS ON A CRAZY TRAIN

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    THE LONE STAR STATE...TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM TSS MGM 4WD SR5 5.7FF
    Rough Country 6" lift / 35x12.50R20 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx/ 20x9 +20 Fuel wheels "Mavericks" (Came with) / S&B CAI/ 2-10" Rockford Fosgates R2/ Massive Audio Nano N2 amp (Came with)/ KatSkins seat covers (Came with)/ Weathertechs window vent visors and floor mats/ 1A-AUTO.com aftermarket tow mirrors/ Undercover tonneau bed cover/ Viper alarm 3305V/ Flowmaster Super 40 Dual in-out/ 40" led light bar/ TRD Pro grille/Rough Country 30" LED light bar/TRD rear sway bar/ Ranch Hand legend grille gaurd

Welcome from Houston, what part of Texas you from?

19. Jun 13, 2018 at 4:51 AM
    5.7TRDProm

5.7TRDProm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dara
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra SR5
    King 2.5 w/ remote resi adjusters Bakflip MX4 Coachbuilders +3 Shackles, CB drop, shims Formula One LLumar Pinnacle and Stratos Tint 5% Uniform on all 5 windows, %50 whole front windshield ARB Dual Air Compressor w/ XFaktr dual compressor mount TRD Pro badges and grill Color Matched grill surround, hood bulge, and front bumper caps SDHQ Rock sliders
    Welcome from CA! Nice build you got there!

BROGAN [OP] likes this.
  20. Jun 13, 2018 at 6:28 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Been asking myself the same question since I bought it. Saw someone post a custom mount, but they were asking $400 for this thin piece of sheet metal.

21. Jun 13, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    Steve6

Steve6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road
    Welcome from Arizona.

22. Jun 13, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    San Antonio, where all our sweet trucks have been made since 2015. Actually been over to the factory and took the tour, highly recommend it to all if you ever come through.

Hammerhead and ARamirez73 like this.
  23. Jun 13, 2018 at 6:32 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I imagine Arizona has some great wheelin' spots?

24. Jun 13, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    01erionracing

01erionracing KJ6RKU

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4wd 2008 CM Limited 4wd
    Nice looking truck!

25. Jun 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    The N-Fab nerf bar / steps are strong enough to jack from?

d0zer and dcsleeper408 like this.
  26. Jun 13, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    no they aren't, I highly advise to not use as lifting point. as it isn't mounted on the frame.

27. Jun 13, 2018 at 10:02 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This is a good point. Never got the weight of the truck fully off the ground, just messing around to get an interesting stance for a silly photo. To change a tire I pull out the pro eagle. To lift out a bogged tire I use the jack mate for the high lift straight on the wheel.

[​IMG]

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  28. Jun 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    I didn't think it was strong enough. I was pretty surprised.

I have the same hi-lift add on. In addition to using it myself a few times, I used this set up to help a guy with a 370Z buried to the frame in sand. Lifted one wheel at a time, filled the holes and chucked sheets of plywood under to "make a road" back to the road he should have never left.

BROGAN [OP] likes this.
  29. Jun 13, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra PATRIOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM LTD TRD OR
    Welcome from Las Vegas

Nice ride

30. Jun 13, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks bud!

Products Discussed in

To Top