1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Offroad Bluetooth Connection Timeout

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Sirhyde, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Mar 25, 2022 at 7:13 PM
    Sirhyde

Sirhyde [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Tundra
    Since day one I will randomly have my phone disconnect and then instantly reconnect to the blue tooth, about ten seconds later and it drops for good. Sometimes I can manually reconnect from my phone and sometimes from the truck menu. More often than not though I ca't reconnect no matter what I do unless I turn the truck off and back on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I took it to the dealer today and they said everything is working fine and to repair my phone. I did this and about ten minutes into my drive it happened again. It's super frustrating and annoying so I hope the dealer can figure out something soon.

Yaboy likes this.
  2. Mar 29, 2022 at 5:45 PM
    Versus78

Versus78 New Member

Member:
    I am also having connection issues using a google Pixel 4XL on my TrD Off Road. Bluetoot is connecting fine on my obone its sometimes the Wireless Android Auto that is having problems maybe once every 5 startups.

On another thread ive seen that an update of the headunit is currently rolling out. Hopefully thats hoing to correct this.

3. Mar 31, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    Sirhyde

Sirhyde [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Tundra
    I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S20, I've started to notice it's happening in the same areas over and I've again. Almost like there is interference messing with the head unit.

Hopefully an update will sort this out because it's very annoying.

Versus78 likes this.
  4. Aug 3, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    Upordown

Upordown New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Capstone Supersonic Red
    @Sirhyde @Versus78

Guys I am facingnthe same issue and looking for some solutions/suggestions.

Is your issue sorted now? If yes ..what was the solution?

Thanks in advance for your inputs

5. Aug 3, 2022 at 7:30 PM
    LukeS

LukeS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    Army Green Limited TRD OR
    I just picked my truck up today and had the issue on the way home. Stopped at Longhorn for dinner and after getting back in android auto didn't connect. Phone said ready to connect, but every time I tried connecting thru the phone or the dash it would try for a few seconds and then fail. Restarting my phone didn't work, but restarting the truck did fix it.

6. Aug 3, 2022 at 8:39 PM
    BaldMenace

BaldMenace New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 Double cab
    I've noticed the same thing with my Samsung S21ultra phone. Never had any issue in my Jeep so that tells me the phone isn't the problem.

7. Aug 3, 2022 at 9:02 PM
    Roctane84

Roctane84 Tread On Them

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 TRD Pro Solar Octane (SOLD)
    I switched back to iOS last year after over a decade in the Android realm. I got tired of stuff not working, and iOS has really come a long way since the garbage iPhone 3G or whatever I had way back when.

Regardless of that point, have you guys tried resetting your phones? Power off, then reconnect to truck. Also, when is the last time you have cleared bluetooth and app caches?

8. Aug 4, 2022 at 6:17 AM
    Upordown

Upordown New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I did clear the cache yesterday and have done restarting and everything as well. I will uninstall and install AA back again to see if that helps ( I doubt though).
    I cant even switch to iOS, since my phone is on contract and not available to upgrade until few more months.

Whats baffling though is that I never had any issue with AA until now in my 2022 MDX. In my 8-9 months of ownership - it connected very quick everytime and had like 2 such disconnects over 8-9 months.
    Now I am having second thoughts about the trade in that I did.

9. Aug 4, 2022 at 6:51 AM
    Roctane84

Roctane84 Tread On Them

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 TRD Pro Solar Octane (SOLD)
    I would hardly consider the android connection a reason to regret purchasing a vehicle. An inconvenience, maybe, but most of the vehicles I’ve owned that I truly cared about didnt even have cupholders or cruise control, much less Android/ Apple Auto.

There’s surely a solution or maybe its a known bug with a patch in the works. I’ll see what more I can find out but hang in there in the meantime, and try this.

Please make sure to disable all battery power saving mode for the Android Auto app.

1. Phone Settings > Tap Battery > Adaptive Battery > Turn off Adaptive Battery.
      2. Phone Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Special app access > Battery optimization > Tap the "Not optimized" dropdown menu > Select All Apps > Android Auto > Select Don't Optimize.

10. Aug 4, 2022 at 7:10 AM
    Upordown

Upordown New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I only mentioned the regret part to highlight the annoyance (and at times I do tend to be melodramatic). Frankly - as someone who was born and brought up half way across the globe, looking at big American trucks in automotive programs and movies - owning one now is pretty exciting. I love how it drives (minus the fake engine sound) , so much so that all of this week I have been driving to stores around 45-50 miles out only to pick up my groceries.

Its just the minor issue with tech right now, which is a turn off. Coming from the Tech background myself, I really feel that Toyota could have done better job at making it more intuitive.

Also - Thank you for taking time out and helping research the issue.

I did come across one thread around turning off the Optimized Battery option of AA, which I did but the issue continued.

I have turned off the Adaptive Battery today and will recheck the issue again today evening.

11. Aug 4, 2022 at 6:17 PM
    Versus78

Versus78 New Member

Member:
    Still having issues, evey now and then i restart my phone and the headunit (holding the power button until it resets). One anoying thing is when placing a phone call sometimes there is a constant white noise coming through whicb makes it impossible to talk/hear. I need to hang up and place another call and then it works as it should. Seems mostly related to android Auto because when i disable it and stricly use bluetooth, everything seems fine...

12. Aug 5, 2022 at 6:29 PM
    Upordown

Upordown New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Alright guys ... Quick update ..

Today, got the apk for 7.9.623164 from apkmirror and new version seems to be working better.

I uninsalled all updates of AA feom phone and then installed the new version.

Today evening I did drive for a few hours and didnt encounter any disconnects. Will test it for couple more weeks and share feedback.

13. Aug 6, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    Thesecondavenger

Thesecondavenger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    22Tundra
    It looks like this is an Android auto problem not a tundra problem, if you go to the playstore and read the reviews on the app it's happening in other vehicles.

YnpTim likes this.
  14. Aug 6, 2022 at 11:26 AM
    Yaboy

Yaboy New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 limited off-road
    I have an iPhone 13pro and this now happens every time I drive, which it did not before and I have not done anything different. So I click mode to local radio and wait a few minute and keep going back and fourth until Bluetooth works again. Terrible

15. Aug 6, 2022 at 1:45 PM
    LukeS

LukeS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    Army Green Limited TRD OR
    After a few days of use now the initial problem of the phone not connecting hasn't happened since that first time. Only issue I'm still seeing is Pandora sometimes freezes. It will say it's playing, but it isn't. Just switching to a different station and then back makes it start working again.

It's my first vehicle with android auto so like @Thesecondavenger said, this might be an android auto issue and not a tundra issue.

16. Dec 18, 2022 at 8:38 AM
    YnpTim

YnpTim New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tundra SR5
    I am having the same issue with my 2022 SR5 and using my Samsung s10e. I can go for weeks without any issues, but it seems to happen mostly when I have a phone conversation that lasts longer than 5 minutes. The dealer could not identify any issues and said everything was up to date. Is there any new information on what causes this?

17. Dec 18, 2022 at 5:04 PM
    T315

T315 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax TRD Offroad
    Why do people list their trim for something like this? Lol Android user here.. connection has been solid with my 22 Tundra

18. Dec 19, 2022 at 4:56 AM
    wildmank99

wildmank99 New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    22 Tundra Limited
    I noticed that my iPhone 12 has been connecting and disconnected also. Also notice that certain areas while in the phone it disconnects and have to use my speaker on my phone

19. Feb 20, 2023 at 4:16 AM
    LR Tundra 23

LR Tundra 23 New Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited 4WD Limited
    Has anyone found a solution for this one yet?

20. Feb 20, 2023 at 4:20 AM
    Yaboy

Yaboy New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 limited off-road
    Haven’t had it happen in months.

Products Discussed in

To Top