1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission thunk noise when quick stops = Low Transmission Fluid - P2714

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by baraynavab, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 13, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab [OP] New Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    FYI Gentlemen/Ladies,

So I wanted to put this up there if someone is having this issue. I have a new to me 2006 Toyota Tundra Double cab SR5 LSD 2WD with 322k miles on it. It has the no dipswitch tranny the A750E. I got it recently and while it drove great I always had an issue that I thought was because of a drive shaft or differential problem. Its not read along. BTW before this I did not do a Transmission fluid change

Basically when I come to a sudden or somewhat quick stop (as opposed to gradual stop) I used to get a thud/clunk/thunk sound. It also follows sometimes with a smaller nudge that I felt was odd to come from the drive shaft or differential. But thinking nothing major I drove it along.

Until one day I noticed that my Transmission is not shifting as it should. Where I was not getting to much response from the Tranny/engine at around 1.8-2k RMP. When I press the accelerator it would not move the RPM's much and suddenly go to 3k when what I believe is the overdrive kicking in. Well this is where I got worried. Is my Transmission slipping? I thought.

Well doing some quick searches I found that it may have been cause by low transmission fluid. I am sure the transmission fluid on this 322k truck was not changed in at least 150k. So thats what I did. Fill the transmission fluid. BTW I should have done this before trans refill but I hooked up torque pro after the fill and got a warning CEL - P2714 = Pressure control solenoid D performance or Stuck off.

After doing this the thud is gone...even in sudden braking or quick stop gives i feel no thud or the smaller nudge. The truck drives a lot better..obviously. So I cleared the warning CEL and It hasn't come back up. So I believe this was the issue. So check your transmission fluids.. and ensure its topped up.

BTW I tried using the FSM Transmission fluid guide but I could not get the Transmission in test mode by shorting the 4-13 OBD pins i.e. between 115 F < 130F (deg). Although I drove it around 30+ miles and kept it parked for 40 min. So I feel it will be in this temp range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Stuck in the '00s likes this.
  2. Jan 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Wes_heppy

Wes_heppy Trucks...Dirtbikes... Guns...

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra 4x4 4.7
    TC UCA Radflo coilovers DDI Injectors LSD
    Wow than you for making this thread. Mine has also been giving a small clunk upon sudden stops. I have been tearing my hair out making sure everything is tight! I replaced my carrier bearing thinking that was the clunking and have done several various bushing without luck. I will need to check the tranny fluid and add some and see if that stops it like it did for you.

3. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:06 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Nice write up. Thank you.

Products Discussed in