1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission thunk noise when quick stops = Low Transmission Fluid - P2714

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by baraynavab, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 13, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab [OP] Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L V8
    FYI Gentlemen/Ladies,

So I wanted to put this up there if someone is having this issue. I have a new to me 2006 Toyota Tundra Double cab SR5 LSD 2WD with 322k miles on it. It has the no dipswitch tranny the A750E. I got it recently and while it drove great I always had an issue that I thought was because of a drive shaft or differential problem. Its not read along. BTW before this I did not do a Transmission fluid change

Basically when I come to a sudden or somewhat quick stop (as opposed to gradual stop) I used to get a thud/clunk/thunk sound. It also follows sometimes with a smaller nudge that I felt was odd to come from the drive shaft or differential. But thinking nothing major I drove it along.

Until one day I noticed that my Transmission is not shifting as it should. Where I was not getting to much response from the Tranny/engine at around 1.8-2k RMP. When I press the accelerator it would not move the RPM's much and suddenly go to 3k when what I believe is the overdrive kicking in. Well this is where I got worried. Is my Transmission slipping? I thought.

Well doing some quick searches I found that it may have been cause by low transmission fluid. I am sure the transmission fluid on this 322k truck was not changed in at least 150k. So thats what I did. Fill the transmission fluid. BTW I should have done this before trans refill but I hooked up torque pro after the fill and got a warning CEL - P2714 = Pressure control solenoid D performance or Stuck off.

After doing this the thud is gone...even in sudden braking or quick stop gives i feel no thud or the smaller nudge. The truck drives a lot better..obviously. So I cleared the warning CEL and It hasn't come back up. So I believe this was the issue. So check your transmission fluids.. and ensure its topped up.

BTW I tried using the FSM Transmission fluid guide but I could not get the Transmission in test mode by shorting the 4-13 OBD pins i.e. between 115 F < 130F (deg). Although I drove it around 30+ miles and kept it parked for 40 min. So I feel it will be in this temp range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Schcoman and Stuck in the '00s like this.
  2. Jan 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Wes_heppy

Wes_heppy Trucks...Dirtbikes... Guns...

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra 4x4 4.7
    TC UCA Radflo coilovers Long Tubes LSD
    Wow than you for making this thread. Mine has also been giving a small clunk upon sudden stops. I have been tearing my hair out making sure everything is tight! I replaced my carrier bearing thinking that was the clunking and have done several various bushing without luck. I will need to check the tranny fluid and add some and see if that stops it like it did for you.

3. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:06 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Nice write up. Thank you.

4. Jan 23, 2024 at 7:02 AM
    Foxelder2003

Foxelder2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fox
    Vehicle:
    2007 blue tundra TRD
    Hey just wanted to ask I recently picked up my truck and this is my exact issue. The lines on my puck warmer/cooler look like they are starting to go so I’ve been leaking a few drops of fluid at a time. After being replaced I’m going to put new fluid in. I wanted to know does this do any serious harm to the transmission? I don’t know how long the truck has been leaking but noticed this upon driving the truck around for a bit since purchase.

5. Jan 23, 2024 at 7:04 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    If this question is related to your 2007, you should be aware you're posting in the 1st gen (2000-2006) subforum and may not get the proper answers to your questions. It's possible they share the same trans, but ... other aspects may not be the same. I recommend hunting/posting in the 2nd gen forum over here: https://www.tundras.com/forums/2nd-gen-tundras-2007-2013.26/

On the fluid question though, you're touching on a topic that's along the lines of religion. Very polarized opinions. Many will tell you if you don't know the maintenance history of the transmission, don't flush all the fluid, just drain-and-fill (refill exact amount that comes out), then follow the procedure to bring trans up to temp and check fluid levels.

If you have a shop do a full fluid swap, make sure they're not using significant pressure to push fluid in/out. Or find a shop that works with BG product, BG will warranty a trans against problems after using their fluid system.

Foxelder2003[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 24, 2024 at 6:11 AM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L
    Clunks on 4x4s could also be related to slip joint on driveshaft needing lubrication

baraynavab[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top