1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission range sensor

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Red Freighter, Apr 26, 2017.

1. May 6, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    f9zsheol

f9zsheol New Member

Member:
    Found the problem the reverse wire got pinched exposing the wire and it was touching metal all went back to normal thanks for the help everyone

landphil and NewImprovedRon like this.
  2. May 6, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    :yes:

f9zsheol[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    djmichael24951

djmichael24951 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue Tundra SR5
    None
    Hi. I'm new to the group. I'm a disabled veteran, and a auto mechanic by trade. I have a 2008 Tundra. I got in it this morning and I am having the same issues that all have afore mentioned with the dash lights. 4Lo flashing, VSC Off flashing, check engine light is on and traction control light is on. But, something I haven't seen is drive ability issues. Are any of you having any while these lights are on? I am. The truck doesn't seem to have any power. It is sluggish when pulling out. The transmission seems to shift correctly, but it will not kick down into passing gear. I pray that it is as simple as a fuse. I can't afford to pay a shop to service it.

4. May 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    f9zsheol

f9zsheol New Member

Member:
    Have you don’t any work to the car recent to cause this to malfunction because that’s what happen to me and yes I had all of those lights on as well I also did have a fuse blow it was a 10a on the reverse slot that is located under the driver side my problem was because I pinched wire that I was taping into the reverse wire and once I found that and replaced the fuse it all worked fine p.s in my situation replacing the fuse with finding the pinched wire just kept on blowing the fuse over and over. So if you replace the fuse and it blows again you have something wrong

5. May 7, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Best to read the fault code(s).

Sounds a lot like a secondary air injection fault from those symptoms.

6. May 7, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    djmichael24951

djmichael24951 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue Tundra SR5
    None
    Yes sir. I just got done doing that. I dug out my old scan tool and checked the codes. And that thing was a little dusty too. I haven't used it in about 10 years. Anyway, it did come up with a air injection code, P2442. I checked all my fuses with a test light. None of my fuses were bad. So, I just used my scan tool to erase the code. I went out and drove it, and the problem is solved.

7. May 8, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    Dsmitty36

Dsmitty36 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Max
    This my issue with the same code and gear shifter issues. Broken ground strap.

20190508_201033.jpg

landphil likes this.
  8. Jul 1, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    Grover111

Grover111 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Red Tundra SR5
    I have the same problem of all the lights flashing and spontaneously shifting from drive to neutral while going down the road. The odd thing is that these symptoms after around an hour and a half of driving. I shut the truck off over night and the next morning they are all gone. Before I head to the mechanic, I wanted to do more research. I found that my truck also has a broken ground strap and I am wondering if this is the cause for it. Going to order a generic strap and see if it works.

9. Nov 18, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    Longbed

Longbed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 tundra double cab longbed
    6" lift, 35's, CAI, hypertech, toytec boss coilovers.
    Hello....new to forum but have gleaned much information from this site and really appreciate all of the information.

I'm currently experiencing the P0705 code and it's not my fuses. The problem is intermittent as some days it's perfectly fine then it goes to hell is 4 lo flashing, vsc, traction control, check engine. I cleared code with my scanner and now it's back to normal but I doubt it will last long. I did notice my tranny ground strap is fubared and I'm wondering if any of the two gentleman who posted above actually solved the problem with the ground strap replacement. Thanks for the reply.

10. Nov 18, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    Grover111

Grover111 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Red Tundra SR5
    I had to bring it into the dealership because regular mechanics did not want to touch it. They ended up replacing the transmission range censor circuit part itself. The part was like $135. The total repair was $500. They didn't even replace the ground strap, but it works perfect now. They said that this part has a tendency to rust out.

11. Nov 18, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    Longbed

Longbed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 tundra double cab longbed
    6" lift, 35's, CAI, hypertech, toytec boss coilovers.
    Roger that Grover. I wouldn't have thought it could just be the ground strap as mines obviously been fubared for some time (years). Thanks for the quick response much appreciated. Sure wish it was fuse lol.

12. Mar 10, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    guywire

guywire New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sequoia Platinum
    Glad I found this. I had been trying to install an aftermarket stereo and must have shorted something when trying to get the backup camera working. I was driving and the turn signals wouldn't work, and that's all I noticed actually. But also the seat heater didn't work, probably the backup lights but I didn't check, and I started getting a flashing 4LO light and a that engine code. I didn't know what was going on. The worst thing was the battery was not charging, by the time I got home I was down to 10 volts and all kinds of warning lights were flashing.

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned the turn signals.

It seems to have just been a 7.5A fuse labeled LH-IG under the dash. Man that's hard to get to though, it looked fine. I had to use a probe to determine it was actually blown.

13. Mar 12, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    sicCAS

sicCAS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2011 4.6 Tundra
    Guys PLEASE HELP ME
    I have the same code and not from these issues stated.
    I changed the range sensor, changed the fluid, and have gone over every fuse in the truck with a meter and pulled related ones to visually see and test the fuse itself with a meter. I can not find any bad wires. All my lights work correctly. I also have seen each gear on my snap on scan tool(PRNDS). Every gear registers but drive(D). I can even see sport mode and + & - triggers on my screen in the scan tool. No Drive light on the dash and no sport gears on dash. I have changed my ground wire as well b/c mine looked like the one in the picture. I am 500$ in to this with no fix. I work in a custom shop and have for almost 15 years now. I am the foreman for the electronics part of our shop. So I am not a back yard mechanic. My brain hurts from this and every one else seems to have had the led revers light issue or a blown fuse. I have checked every thing in this form with a new switch. Please some one help me I have traced the wire from the range sensor to the ecu to the gauge cluster and even the connectors in between. I got nothing. Everything visually looks fine. I also have discovered that my OBD2 Ground (pin4) has 20+ Ohm resistance from ground on the bat. I also have very high resistance out of the BCM (where the fuses are located inside) 70+ ohms at ground resting fuses. So I am wondering if its a bad ground inside the truck somewhere. But I cant find one. Do any of you know of any other issues with this code. I currently lost my 4wheel drive too b4 it was a flashing 4Lo with cel and trac lights. now i have flashing 4LO and 4HI. and getting an abs code. scan tool says its LR sensor is bad. witch could explain the 4wd not working but the abs wasn't on till after the 4hi and 4lo started flashing together. i also get a abs pulse about 10 seconds after movement. I would appricate any advice. Im honestly leaning towards a bad bcm or ecu at this point.

2011 Tundra 4x4 4.6L

14. Mar 12, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    Red Freighter

Red Freighter [OP] Red Freighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Oregon City
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab sr5 trd red
    2014 TRD wheels and TRd pro center caps. Stock 2014 running boards. Stereo gps dvd deck two 12" subs w/amp. Dvd Headrests. Rear air bags with compressor and air tank.
    Sorry, I have nothing.

15. Mar 12, 2021 at 5:35 PM
    sicCAS

sicCAS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2011 4.6 Tundra
    Yea me to, and I know my local toyota dealer pretty well and they are tool bags. I had a mouse or somthing in the fuse box that I found but what I found messed up was st relay ground and my fog lights. That was it, both work but the hot on that st relay goes to the ecu and the range sensor. I honestly don't know how the truck will be after I fix the wires in the fuse box but I honestly don't think its related, only about 80% sure on that. My ecu ground on the obd pin 5 matches as it should but my bcm grounds and pin 4 obd2 chassie ground are way off. This chase started bc my remote start was shutting down from a brake input. Well I discovered that the brake wire was getting 4.5 volts. So I pulled the tail lights the only leds in the truck are brake/parking 2 bulbs and my 3rd brake light is a t10 led. This seemed to work for my remote start issue but not my 705. The next day I put the lights back in and was only getting like .3 volts in my brake wire. So now I'm even more confused lol. I am putting bulbs in tomorrow and repairing the stuff I found but I still don't think it will fix it. I will post sum pics as well with the diagrams I have it may be useful for some.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  16. Dec 27, 2023 at 9:13 AM
    PLusk123

PLusk123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pearce
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tundra sr5
    Can this issue occur with stock reverse lights?

Products Discussed in

To Top