1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Plug Stripped / Pan Replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by DarkMint, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Apr 24, 2022 at 3:57 PM
    atikovi

atikovi New Member

Member:
    Suburban Washington DC
    Any reason not to use any RTV like [​IMG]

And anybody know the torque spec for the pan bolts? I've read 3 ft. lb. or 39 in. lb.?

2. Apr 24, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    FSM calls for 65 in-lb which is little over 5 ft-lb. Personally, proper sequence and tightness by feel serves me better.

Transmission Pan.jpg

DarkMint[OP] and FirstGenVol like this.
  3. Apr 30, 2022 at 11:51 AM
    DarkMint

DarkMint [OP] just gettin by

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra DC SR5 4WD
    Overall this job was a total pain in the neck. I never want to have to do it again, although it was a good learning experience. God forbid I did it wrong somehow and it starts leaking and I have to do it all over again.

I count 3 major difficult steps for this pan job that.
    1) Removing the 19 pan bolts and hoping none of them break during removal. Luckily none of mine broke.
    2) Removing the pan itself by breaking the FIPG seal. Even with the dedicated seal cutter tool, I still had to stick a knife in there to get it started first before I could fit the seal cutter tool blade.
    3) Installing the new pan or reinstalling the pan without smearing the FIPG. Royal PITA.

Scraping off the old FIPG was incredibly tedious. This stuff just doesn't want to come off. Acetone did not help. A shop towel soaked in brake cleaner did help a bit. It took me hours just to scrape off all the old FIPG from the transmission body section, I used a little blue plastic scraper pen from Amazon for this.

For the new gasket glue, I used Permatex "Ultra Black" RTV because that's what I had on hand. Instructions say to put down a 2mm bead, but is that 2mm wide or 2mm tall? This stuff comes out of the tube through a circular hole. So instead of measuring 2mm, I just put down a "nice bead" following the middle surface of the pan edge, putting the RTV inward at the bolt holes per the tutorial. I probably overdid it. There is RTV visibly squishing out the sides of the newly installed pan.
    Do I have RTV "worms" in the pan because I put too much on the pan? I have no way of knowing because I can't see in there without removing the pan and starting all over again. In theory the transmission strainer should catch that crap from flowing into the trans, right?

I found it necessary to bring down my sway bar to gain access to the front few bolts, there just wouldn't be enough room otherwise. Reinstalling the sway bar to the two brackets was an unexpected pain in the ass. I think I was fighting bushing tension to get it in place and line up the bracket holes to the bolts on each side. Once I got the bracket nuts and bolts screwed in (2 on each side), there was no way I could fit a torque wrench in there. So I tightened it down with some good old fashioned hand powered ugga-duggas.

I also found it necessary to remove my dipstick tube before reinstalling the pan. Trying to line up the new pan with RTV on it, avoiding smearing it as much as possible, while lining up all 19 bolt holes and holding it up as I lay on the floor is just too difficult to have to also deal with lining up the dipstick tube and pushing that in. It was hard enough to just avoid smearing the RTV, and I'm pretty sure I've smeared it at least a bit.
    Anyway, after installing the pan I reinstalled the dipstick tube. The bolt that holds the dipstick tube is unreachable with a torque wrench so I again used non-electric ugga-duggas to get it tightened.

IMG_20220429_154621.jpg
    IMG_20220429_180258.jpg
    IMG_20220429_180334.jpg

tvpierce, bmf4069, BubbaW and 4 others like this.
  4. Apr 30, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Looks great man. Good job.

SouthPaw, DarkMint[OP] and Mogo Gogo like this.
  5. Apr 30, 2022 at 12:24 PM
    atikovi

atikovi New Member

Member:
    Suburban Washington DC
    Just did this last week and found it relatively painless

1) Using a 1/4" drive impact, all the bolts came out easy.
    2) Using a plastic wedge in one corner, the pan came free easily after few hammer hits.
    3) I made 2 alignment dowels from 2 inch long M6 bolts with the heads cut off. Screwed them into the transmission a few holes apart and the pan slides into place with perfect alignment and no smearing. Just get two of the pan bolts started, then you can get the dipstick bolt in easily.

Looks like you may have used too much RTV. This is what it should look like,

250_cb2d968c6195762f8106cf4fd238a54edffc754a.jpg

6. Apr 30, 2022 at 1:40 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Pretty sure that picture is his old pan. That's what yours should have looked like when you removed it. Mine did.

7. Apr 30, 2022 at 1:42 PM
    atikovi

atikovi New Member

Member:
    Suburban Washington DC
    That IS my old pan after removing the old RTV and applying the new.

Mogo Gogo likes this.
  8. Apr 30, 2022 at 1:53 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    But you're saying he applied too much RTV. What he took a picture of is the old pan. He didn't photograph his new bead of RTV on new pan. Unless you're saying it's poking out from the last picture.

Yours looks good though. Nice clean bead.

9. May 1, 2022 at 8:46 PM
    DarkMint

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra DC SR5 4WD
    So it looks like I used too much because some RTV is squishing out the outside edge?

10. May 2, 2022 at 3:29 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I wouldn't stress over. It. Make sure it's not leaking any over the next week and send it.

11. May 2, 2022 at 4:14 AM
    atikovi

atikovi New Member

Member:
    Suburban Washington DC
    I've seen it ooze out a lot more so wouldn't worry about it.

DarkMint[OP] and Mogo Gogo like this.
  12. May 2, 2022 at 4:31 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    +1

Even if you have excessive "squish out" (that's an official mechanical engineering term :D ) on the interior, the RTV is going to tend to stay bonded with itself as it cures. Then once it's fully cured it should stay put since there's not a lot of agitation in the pan.

When I did this job on my old 4Runner (same transmission) I opted for an aftermarket pre-made gasket -- it just seemed to make more sense to me, and it worked fine.

DarkMint[OP] likes this.
  13. May 2, 2022 at 8:30 AM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Looks like a fine, clean job. Nicely done!

DarkMint[OP] and FrenchToasty like this.
  14. May 9, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    DarkMint

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra DC SR5 4WD
    I think I can safely say there are no leaks from the new pan install! Just want to thank everyone for the help and input.

One thing to note, I saw about 7.5qt of ATF that came out. I let the whole thing drip pan-less for a while as well. I don't have containers with actual measurements but each of those kimchi containers are a little over a gallon in volume, and I use the dipstick-measurement method to ensure I've put in enough ATF.

I put in 6qt to start and the fluid read high on the dipstick. Like really high. I started the truck and idled it, running through the gears, holding the brakes intending to have the transmission "suck in" ATF. Checked the dipstick again, fluid shows really low on the dipstick now. So I put in another 1 qt and drove about 40 miles. Checked dipstick again and again needed to add more to have it show proper level, about 0.5 qt more.
    Total ATF replaced: 7.5qt. Maybe a tad more, 7.7 ish.

The truck drives fine, shifts slightly better than before (this is the 2nd drain/fill since purchase at 178k mi and assuming never drain/filled), and overall shows no trans issues. 4qt definitely would've been insufficient.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  15. May 11, 2022 at 4:59 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    I wouldn't assume you need 7.5qts every time you drain/refill it now. Really weird that amount came out of it. I'm guessing that 7.5qts was measured cold because I've never drained that much coming out before myself.

DarkMint[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. May 11, 2022 at 6:29 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    You get a lot more out when the pan is off. I had the same experience when I replaced my pan. I think I had to add almost 8 quarts.

To Top