1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

transmission drain and refill

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by jduane45, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Dec 27, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    According to the Amsoil website, it's Signature Series transmission fluid retails for $12.50/quart. Again, according to their website, a complete fluid change is 12.3 quarts. If it's more economical to have Jace use Toyota's oil, you may want to go that route. I have no idea what equipment he has, but it may also be easier for him to draw from an on site drum of Toyota's oil than to install oil from quart bottles. If it takes less time to use what's on site, that could be money saved.

Black Wolf likes this.
  2. Dec 27, 2015 at 12:01 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Your probably right. I'll just let Jace handle it. If Jace and crew think the fluid is still up to snuff I'll just do the 4 qt drain, otherwise I'll be prepared to pay the added expense for a complete drain/flush. Should be the last time I'll have to do it anyways in theory.

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 27, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I wouldn't put any other kid of fluid in it... leads to more problems than Benefits

tomsinamerica likes this.
  4. Jan 29, 2016 at 11:16 AM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM, 5.7L
    The Chilton instructions have you drain and fill 3 times then do a check with the Techstream. I also bought a filter kit and will be changing the filter this weekend.

5. Feb 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    flyingrhino

flyingrhino New Member

Member:
    I just picked up a used '07 Tundra with 167,000 miles on it. I don't know if the transmission oil had ever been changed. I didn't see any service history to support it. Took it to dealer to get 3 open recalls done. Asked to change transmission fluid. They inspected it and said pan gasket was leaking. So, they dropped the pan, replaced the gasket, flushed and refilled. At least I know where I'm starting with it. $550 is crazy but from here on out I'll service it myself.

6. Feb 12, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Well ur good for another 60-90k now tho

757TUNDRA likes this.
  7. Mar 1, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    Red Freighter

Red Freighter Red Freighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Oregon City
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab sr5 trd red
    2014 TRD wheels and TRd pro center caps. Stock 2014 running boards. Stereo gps dvd deck two 12" subs w/amp. Dvd Headrests. Rear air bags with compressor and air tank.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. Mar 11, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    chop123

chop123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    clifton
    Vehicle:
    2007 dark green tundra sr5
    I took my 2007 tundra to a Toyota dealer last week.it just turn 100,000 miles so I wanted to get the transmission fluid check, flush or drain, whatever they recommended. They said it checked out ok,and that after a few more miles they don't recommend that you mess with it at all. I was surprised by this, because i figured they would want to get my money if nothing else.Has anyone heard anything like this before,coming from a dealer.The guy said by it being sealed and no dipstick and fluid that is used they really don't mess with it unless there is a problem.

9. Mar 12, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    Fly'n Family

Fly'n Family New Member

Member:
    TX / CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM Limited
    Being my first Toyota begs the obvious question. Why have such a "closed" system as opposed to an open where you can change fluids until your hearts content? These trucks are suppose to last for a long time, therefore it will have to be changed at some point - why turn it into a hassle?

With the above in mind, what about the diffs?

10. Mar 12, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Fly'n Family, I got my differential changed @ 72k. Clean as a bean. All depends on how you treat your Tundra, mainly heavy towing. Mostly personal preference. Definitely a job that the average joe mechanic can do. Flushing the transmission on the other hand is not, at least for me. Toyota will do that. Full Synthetic Amsoil for my oil and diff. Hope this helps

11. Mar 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    ej63090

ej63090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McHenry, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5
    One of my theories on the reliability of toyotas was the owners in the 70's, 80's, & 90's. Talking with a lot of the older guys working in the Toyota shops is they took maintenance more seriously. The 2000's came and the amount of Toyota drivers skyrocketed, many coming from brands in which they didn't do good maintenance, translating to more issues. Ie: 07 2.4 Camry oil burners. If you were diligent on 4-5k oil changes your risk of running into the issue was much lower than those who went over the recommended intervals.

12. Mar 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    I understand your pain. I have 3 Toyota dealerships in my area. Only one of them would perform the flush for me. The other gave me the same line of BS. They stated, "it is World standard fluid in a sealed transmission, therefore it never needs to be changed". Of course, I knew this was BS and asked to speak with a service manager, they just reiterated the same thing.

I finally found a dealership that knew what they were talking about. My truck had its first tranny fluid flush at 135K miles. It shifts much smoother now. finding a Toyota dealership that will perform the service can be difficult, for some reason many of them do not want to change the fluid out. I have no idea why as the manual clearly states that you are supposed to have the fluid changed out if " the inspection shows excessively worn fluid". I just change mine out every 50k anyway.

The sealed tranny is one of the things that really bothers me about the Tundra.

13. Mar 20, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    I found a dealership in my area that did the complete transmission fluid flush with 13 QTS of the world standard fluid for $260.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] and rons23 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top