1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transfer Flow vs. LRA (long range automotive) fuel tank

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by l3LUEFALCON, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mar 7, 2019 at 12:38 AM
    Mr. Cade

Mr. Cade New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Platinum
    I'm also interested in a group buy

2. Mar 7, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    2 questions I have:
    1) How do either tank setups (LRA and Transfer Flow) hold up in northern climates where road salt is used? With plastic tanks you don't have to worry about rust obviously. I know line-x and using certain types of metals can help mitigate rust, but IME rust still sets in eventually.
    and
    2) Is there any sort of maintenance (change out interval) for the fuel pump and filter associated with using these tanks?

Mr. Cade likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    l3LUEFALCON

l3LUEFALCON [OP] RIG MECHANIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Houston Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 5.7 FFV MGM CM SR5 4WD TSS-OR AKA: MILDRED
    (DIY) CB Radio, Tool Box, ESP Under seat storage, Husky front/ Weather tech rear floor mats, (DIY) Console Safe (Bio-metric), 275/60/R20 Conti Terrain Contact, Magnaflow Exhaust, Katskin leather seat covers, LRA 46 gallon replacement fuel tank, TRD Pro shocks Front/Rear.
    Sounds like questions you should ask the manufacturer. I don't know about the Northern climate issue with salt and rust. But the fuel pump has an integrated filter on the 3rd gens. I never had to do anything but take the old fuel pump and slap it into the new tank... I don't see why you would need to do anything different maintenance-wise. You are just changing the reservoir for the fuel... I guess just make sure it is clean...

4. Mar 26, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    I didn't know if LRA (or its US distributor) was lurking on here; if so, hopefully they provide some feedback.

I've read in some install write-up's (specifically one on Expedition Journal's website) that because the tank is metal as opposed to plastic, the OEM fuel filter needs to be replaced at a certain interval as per LRA's recommendations.

The construction quality and capacity are huge attractions in my view, but if there is the added potential for rust and increased maintenance with LRA tanks that may be a deal-breaker for some.

myt1 likes this.
  5. Apr 15, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    peacemakerpete

peacemakerpete New Member

Member:
    Good to have the australian option. They build a great front bumper for the Tundra (ARB). Best I can tell, the Transferflow 46 gallon frame mount gas tank is DISCONTINUED. Might find one old stock somewhere??? My Transferflow has served me well. No problems in 10 years.

Products Discussed in

To Top