1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Hitch

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by adam4x4, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Nov 4, 2016 at 8:43 PM
    adam4x4

adam4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NA
    Hello,

Id like to inquire if it is possible to remove a towing hitch from a 2014-2016 Toyota Tundra
    and install on a 2014 Tundra.

I have several Tundras and one of them do not have the Factory Trailer hitch installed.
    Instead of me purchasing a factory one id like to remove one from another Vehicle. I would also remove the wiring harness and then install a trailer brake controller.

Side note;
    I put a 2012 Tundra in the shop and removed the hitch and went to install on the 2014 and it would not work.

2. Nov 4, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Hey Adam referencing your first paragraph, you are removing from a hitch from a 14-16 to mount on a 14? Just want to make sure there isn't a typo.

If no typo, the bumpers from 14-16 are the same, so it should work.

The 14-16 rear bumper is different from the previous generation Tundras (07-13).

NewImprovedRon and adam4x4[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 4, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    adam4x4

adam4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NA
    I have several Tundras, ranging from 2008-2016

Some of my vehicles do not require a hitch so im looking to save a buck and just do a trailer hitch removal and install.

The model id like to install the hitch on would be a 2014 . I would remove it from any tundra that would work.

MotoTundra likes this.
  4. Nov 4, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Gotcha, to the best of my knowledge any factory hitch from a 14-16 will fit on a 14. The aftermarket hitches may be more universal because they mount to the frame and hang a bit lower than the bumper, not tucked right under it like the factory hitch.

If you check out www.eTrailer.com you may be able to plug in different year Tundras and see what part numbers pop up for hitches, see if any cross reference, or call eTrailer and see if you hypothetically buy one from them could you use it on multiple trucks within the 07-14 year range.

FlashCulprit likes this.
  5. Nov 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    adam4x4

adam4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NA
    Thank you
    I will have a look.

MotoTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top