1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by LOTSOFTOYS, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Nov 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS [OP] Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    So just bought a new to me sled trailer. Brakes on all 4 wheels. Installed a new protigy2 controller in the tundra. The brakes are working (buzzing noise) when applied but they are not slowing the wheels down much at all. We jacked up the trailer one side and spun the wheels, when brake applied I can feel more resistance, but they still spin by hand. I adjusted them tighter, no luck. Gonna tear into it this weekend.... but I doubt it's wiring related. I hear buzzing... am I on the right track?

I'm wondering if the magnets are worn or weak and they can't slow the wheels any more....

Any help or insight is appreciated

20151119_144028.jpg

2. Nov 20, 2015 at 9:20 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I thought the Prodigy controllers gave their
    output based on forces "felt" in the controller. So essentially it would only work when you are actually driving and braking?

I did a quick search, maybe this will help..

https://www.etrailer.com/question-93812.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. Nov 20, 2015 at 9:23 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
  4. Nov 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Yeah I read a lot on that website last night. I set up the controller correctly. The trailer is not slowing at all. I hear the buzzing I can feel very slight resistance when spinning them by hand... that's it tho

5. Nov 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Gotcha. Sorry I can't help any further.

6. Feb 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Just curious how you made out with this?

7. Feb 6, 2016 at 10:40 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    So far they are working. Each time out they work better and better. Smoked the front axle wheel bearings for some reason? Replaced those with new races and we're back in business. Pita tho... with new brakes it always needs adjusting. Then I can mess with the controller too to fine tune it

MotoTundra likes this.
  8. Feb 7, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Interesting. Glad they are at least working for ya

9. Feb 7, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Yeah me too... I towed the other day with just 2 sleds on it. HD to turn the controller way down... was locking up tires at stop lights.

MotoTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top