1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trail edition storage

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by rag9836, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Jan 13, 2021 at 2:45 PM
    zach_attack4

zach_attack4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 Army Green CM
    I measured 48 3/8" between the boxes at about midway into the bed. The boxes run pretty straight from the rear of the bed out to the tailgate, except about a foot or so from the tailgate where they taper toward the bedsides.

2. Jan 13, 2021 at 6:43 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Lead foot, left lane, loud stereo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed.
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Yes they will work!

TundraPHX likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Love my storage boxes! Someone said they leak, no leaks here. $700? No, definately not worth that. The quality is fair but security is almost nonexistent.

4. Jan 16, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    Mack1234

Mack1234 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Trail Edition
    They are not watertight, and the dealer told me they are not supposed to be. Makes no sense. Plus, the insulated cooler side is crap. Waiting to see what corporate says about them, but I’ll likely remove them.

LarryDangerfield likes this.
  5. Jan 16, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Mine have a weatherstrip and do not leak, rain, snow, garden hose baths. Pressure wash yes they will likely leak.

6. Jan 18, 2021 at 1:09 AM
    TSands83

TSands83 New Member

Member:
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    2015 Attitude Black Tundra Platinum CM 4x4
    Black TRD Pro headlights, iHacker LED Plug N Play harness, black LED fog lights, TRD Pro grille, TRD skid plate, TRD front and rear sway bars, Lexus/Toyota aluminum oil filter cap, Stahlbus oil drain valve, black Fuel Offroad Pump 20x9+20 wheels, color matched mirror caps and door handles, stubby antenna, black tube steps, driver side assist handle, Rago dash plate with ICS backing plate, black interior door handles, black dash center panel, black steering wheel switches and emblem, black TRD shift knob, AJT Designs shifter and cup holder bezels and HVAC control knobs, Husky floor mats, Trail Edition bed storage boxes, bed LED strip lighting. Working on 38g tank and illuminated mirror switch.
    Hey guys, check this out if your boxes leak. A lil something that I put together.
    Here's the link:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/a-l...bed-storage-boxes-might-leak-and-a-fix.81784/

LarryDangerfield likes this.
  7. Jan 18, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Just so happens that I also reside in Oklahoma and my boxes don't leak or haven't yet. Maybe I just got lucky with the manufacturing. Idk! Just stating that owners may or may not need to fix the boxes. Personally, I am hoping my cam housing sealant was applied correctly the first time!

8. Jan 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    Nomoredomestics

Nomoredomestics New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 super white SR5 CM
    My 2021 had them but I removed and sold. I didn't have them on long and didn't use them but the few times they were opened they were dry. I never looked but do the mechanisms adjust? I do know mine were tight as hell to close. . Maybe that made a difference?

9. Jan 18, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    I was hot and heavy for then when it was first announced, after laying hands on them not so much now. I'm probably going to do those swing out ones.

2mchfun likes this.
  10. Jan 18, 2021 at 5:23 PM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM TRD Pro
    I bought mine from @Nomoredomestics (great seller btw)

And finally had time to install them, overall I really like them, the passenger side is filled now with recovery gear and my tools, I can reach into each boxes when standing outside of the truck, I also swap out the tonneau cover to roll up ones, I had tri-fold and I just like the roll up as its more useful.

The install was straight forward, but you may want a second hand to line up those spacers for the deck rail, also the factory bed liner is a PAIN to remove to remove the front tie down hooks, took me about an hour to get them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TSands83, 2mchfun and Nomoredomestics like this.
  11. Jan 18, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Fyi, spare tire well is free real estate for some emergency tools to be stored in waterproof containers.

12. Jan 19, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    TSands83

TSands83 New Member

Member:
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Black TRD Pro headlights, iHacker LED Plug N Play harness, black LED fog lights, TRD Pro grille, TRD skid plate, TRD front and rear sway bars, Lexus/Toyota aluminum oil filter cap, Stahlbus oil drain valve, black Fuel Offroad Pump 20x9+20 wheels, color matched mirror caps and door handles, stubby antenna, black tube steps, driver side assist handle, Rago dash plate with ICS backing plate, black interior door handles, black dash center panel, black steering wheel switches and emblem, black TRD shift knob, AJT Designs shifter and cup holder bezels and HVAC control knobs, Husky floor mats, Trail Edition bed storage boxes, bed LED strip lighting. Working on 38g tank and illuminated mirror switch.
    Looks good @Downytide. I'm so stoked to finally have some storage in my CM.

Tip for the rail spacers: I took a scrap piece of the Gorilla weatherproof tape and used a pinch of the gew on it on the back side of the spacer. But anything tacky would work. I just lined them up and stuck them in place. Easy peasy.

Bammer likes this.
  13. Jan 19, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM TRD Pro
    That's a good tip, if I need to re-install them I will do that.

my tie down anchors bolts just wouldn't reach for some reason, not sure why, luckily my Chavornia billet tie downs showed up and they have extended bolts.

[​IMG]

14. Jan 19, 2021 at 11:50 AM
    itstorbs

itstorbs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Fort Bragg
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Trail
    They have a weather seal around the doors. Mine have been dry as a bone even in some pretty heavy rain.

15. Jan 19, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    TSands83

TSands83 New Member

Member:
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Those billet tie downs look slick.

The box hardware is different and longer at all locations. The dealership parts department was no help. They can see the box kit accessory part number, but no hardware kit. Here's the differences...
    20210119_192557.jpg
    20210119_203933.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:46 PM

Products Discussed in

To Top