1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction Control - Everything You Want to Know

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by KevinK, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Aug 23, 2021 at 9:10 PM
    raymond_hb

raymond_hb New Member

Member:
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra Limited 2WD
    I should’ve read this before going on my first ever off road trip. Took a nice ride to Mono Lake in Central Cali and got myself stuck in a small creek. From my understanding it would’ve helped to keep the car in normal mode no “Auto LSD” light or “Traction off” light on the dash. Btw it’s 100% 2007 Tundra 2WD the biggest upgrade on it is the A/T tires and Bam Muffler on them. Thank you very much for this incredibly helpful post definitely doing what everyone is saying and keeping a copy of the chart in my truck

KevinK[OP] and Hbjeff like this.
  2. Jan 19, 2022 at 2:46 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L V8

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    woods247 and KevinK[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 22, 2022 at 8:34 PM
    KevinK

KevinK [OP] SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    Brilliant!

Great idea putting it into something portable. :thumbsup:

4. Apr 26, 2022 at 8:19 AM
    Andhon

Andhon 2014 Platinum MGM CM

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Platinum MGM CM
    What year of Tundras did they start adding A-trac in? I have a 2014 but I've always wondered if my older 3rd gen had it.

5. Apr 26, 2022 at 9:04 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Iirc since 2007. If you obviously have 4x4 I think.

Andhon likes this.
  6. Dec 14, 2022 at 4:59 AM
    dashmer

dashmer New Member

Member:
    Anyone know if this works the same in gen 3 tundras?

7. Dec 15, 2022 at 6:31 AM
    baraynavab

baraynavab Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    The 3rd gen might do the same but a lot of more advance in certain things I am sure.. why dont you ask this question on the 3rd gen forums.. or search online I am sure there is info on this on the interwebs.. or even gasp..youtube..

8. Dec 15, 2022 at 10:22 AM
    dashmer

dashmer New Member

Member:
    I have exhausted those options...no one talks about it or seems to know. Toyota is not very clear on it either in the owners manual or website.

9. Jan 3, 2023 at 10:32 AM
    KevinK

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    Tundras to Sedona
    The gen 3 is totally different, especially depending on what trim level you get. It functions a lot more like the 4Runner or Tacoma with MTS and rear locker and stuff.

Maybe @LKTundra and I need to go out in a 3rd gen and put it all on paper.

10. Jan 3, 2023 at 6:02 PM
    LKTundra

LKTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    Sus- Lots of Icon Lights- Baja Designs/ KC Shoes- RW's on BORA/ 35in General X3's Protection- RCI/ WhiteKnuckle/ Jomax Brakes- EBC/ Motul/ SDHQ
    Most definitely! The MTS functionality is the same thinking as the 4runner and Tacoma with decreasing levels of slip or heightened thresholds for system engagement. Locker is available only in 4lo and should only be used as needed. The frequency of the brake system has been increased so its smoother and quieter much like the difference from 07-17 trucks to 18-21 due to the system change. It's really a nice suite of tools! I'm just sad you can't get a platinum TRD offroad...

KevinK[OP] and SAGE63 like this.
  11. Jan 9, 2024 at 3:45 PM
    crocodile-man

crocodile-man New Member

Member:
    Thank you, this write up is incredible. Given all this info, what would be ideal for family camper trip towing?

Losing power with TRAC sounds counterintuitive, especially when you need all the power you can get towing. But LSD on the rear wheels seems smart for safety.

Should I go with a 1 push to disable TRAC and run LSD? Is this ok for towing hundreds of miles?

12. Jan 9, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    I would NOT tow w/LSD on...

Leave your nannies on and tow away :thumbsup:

13. Jan 9, 2024 at 7:13 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'd only do that if it's slippery where you're towing.

crocodile-man[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 9, 2024 at 7:56 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    Perhaps you are misunderstanding how or when TRAC cuts power. TRAC allows you to use ALL THE BEANS - whether towing or not - so long as you don't exceed the traction limits of your tires. So you can put the pedal to the floor and ask for all the herspers and terqs and TRAC won't interfere one bit, so long as you don't spin the tires. Spinning your tires lets the herspers and terqs escape the coral, jump the fence, and wander off in to the wild blue yonder, which does you no good; TRAC simply keeps them contained to where you can use them.

From a physics standpoint, Mu (Greek letter Mu, for which we will simply use 'u') stands for the coefficient of friction; (u)Kinetic is always less than (u)Static. In terms of friction, that simply says that the friction between two surfaces is always greater when those surfaces are static in relation to each, than if one surface was moving in relation to the other. Imagine trying to push a cardboard box filled with junk across the floor; it takes more effort to overcome the friction between the box and floor when they are both stationary (not moving) than if the box was already sliding across the floor. Once you get the box sliding, it requires less effort to keep it sliding than it did to break the initial friction between them.

Why did I introduce that gibberish physics standpoint? Because your tires want to maintain static friction with the ground. They are rolling and the vehicle is moving in relation to the ground, but the tires contacting the ground is Static (unless spinning the tires). TRAC knows that it can deliver more power to a wheel that is in a state of static friction than a wheel that is spinning, or moving in relation to the ground, so it will limit the power delivered to the tires only if they are spinning.

The best setting when towing is simply to leave everything to Default. You will get the best traction possible in most situations with the most stable handling. There are, however, a few situations where you would want to use ALSD or other traction modes TEMPORARILY while towing. When the roads are patchy snowy/icy, or you are in a wet, grassy field or slick topsoil (or at the boat launch in a 2wd vehicle), I would temporarily use ALSD if in 2wd JUST TO GET MOVING. I do this all the time, even with a mechanical Auburn LSD when the neighborhood or back roads aren't well plowed but the main roads are fine. I also try ALSD when the I'm too lazy to stop and wait for 4wd to engage just to drive a few yards to where I would disengage 4wd. I use it in conjunction with the auburn to enable a little more wheelspin; it also enhances the aggressiveness of the Auburn.

The other 4wd options should only be used on a temporary basis when slogging through unfavorable conditions where, as the OP mentioned, you know/think you might get stuck or have seen someone else get stuck. Else, there is little reason to change the traction mode for towing. The manual says that you should not engage ALSD for long periods of time. Hopefully that helps.

@KevinK Did a great job outlining the different modes, BTW.

15. Jan 10, 2024 at 3:01 PM
    crocodile-man

crocodile-man New Member

Member:
    Appreciate that insight for towing. Thanks everyone!

16. Jan 20, 2024 at 10:50 AM
    KevinK

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    Tundras to Sedona
    upload_2024-1-20_11-50-27.jpg

Drainbung likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top