1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS, moving it from steel to alloy wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by KirthGersen, Nov 10, 2018 at 2:55 PM.

1. Nov 10, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    KirthGersen

KirthGersen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    I've literally spent hours today researching this TPMS stuff :-(

I'm shopping for near-new TRD wheel "take offs" , and seems most sellers have removed the TPMS.

My truck is 2018 CM with original steel wheels (under 600 miles!), and it presumably uses the 40º angled sensors (part# 42607-0C101).

2018 & newer OE alloy wheels use 20º angled sensors (# 2607-0C091)

There are several threads where the 40º steel wheel TPMS has been flipped & re-installed onto OE alloy wheels, with the caution the 40º sensor doesn't lay flat against the rim & is hard to mount tire without damaging sensor , or will break if tire flats.

> > How likely is it a decent tire installer would break the 40º sensor on alloy rim, when a tire is mounted?
    Have any of you specifically had this problem?

> > is it low risk to also move the "fitting kit" from steel wheel to alloy wheel?
    The kit seems to be what seals against air leakage.

A set of 4 brand new, 2018 OE sensors is at least $240 ... the extra effort to swap existing TPMS to new wheels seems worth it. ... but if a sensor breaks during the switch over, I wont have a new sensor on-hand to immediately substitute.

2. Nov 11, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 6" 35/12.50/18
    It's highly likely that if you try to switch around the 20 and 40 degree sensors, one or more will get broke. A quick check on Ebay showed 4 sensors for a 2018 at 129.00.
    I know lots of people frown about Ebay, But if it works it works..

3. Nov 11, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    Hammy68

Hammy68 New Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax
    Rough Country Leveled, TRD Dual Exhaust, Nitto RGs 275/70/18, Rugged Cover Hard Tonneau, LED upgrade
    You’re probably better off leaving the sensors in the stock wheels and having aftermarket ones put in. They are easy to break and it’s even harder if there’s any corrosion, etc. Our local garage is doing aftermarket ones for 40 a piece, all programmed. Got a set for the winter wheels we put on my wife’s 4Runner.

Grey Wolf likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top