1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota website build?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Stumpjumper, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Mar 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper [OP] New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I am trying to price 4 configurations. CM SR5 and Pro and DC SR5 and Pro. I am just playing with some numbers to see what fits best in my budget and plans. I would just go with the DC is it had a power rear slider. I do not haul kids and hope this is my last new vehicle that I buy for myself. If I was planning to sell at some point then it would be CM all the way. I am getting really frustrated with the build on Toyota's website. If I use my home zip it will not let me build a DC in a 4x4 for one. It also limits me on colors when I try to build a CM SR5 TRD OR. If I change my zip code to Kansas City I can build a DC 4x4 TRD OR in white but white only. I had this same issue when I bought my Tacoma. I do not understand why Toyota does this. I guess they are pushing me to pick what is available.

2. Mar 14, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    Just go to cars.com and see what's actually on lots. No point 'building' a tundra. There are very few options to consider.

Law323 likes this.
  3. Mar 14, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Stumpjumper

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Problem with that around here is most hav stuff likes steps that I do not want. Dealer has already told me I would have order. That is why I used the Toyota website.

4. Mar 14, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    Fly'n Family

Fly'n Family New Member

Member:
    TX / CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM Limited
    Just a thought....maybe provide your list to two or three Toyota dealerships and have them priced for you?

I'm new to the Tundra world, but have been in Vettes for a long time. In the Vette world, there are 5 or 6 dealerships that have huge volume, and they could always sell the same Vette (brand new or ordered) for a couple of grand less than others. Not sure if that's the case in the Toyota world - but worth looking into if you're going to have one built.

Thegr8punkin likes this.
  5. Mar 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM
    Voyagermike

Voyagermike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California
  6. Mar 14, 2017 at 9:39 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    I was a Toyota salesman from 99 to 06. They should be able to do a dealer trade from any dealer in your region, as long as it hasn't shipped for no additional charge. Sometimes from the competition's lot! Work a couple guys for the truck you want. Buy from the guy that you get along with that seems like he or she will be there for you after the sale. Check out the service dept too. Buying your dream truck is just the beginning!

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  7. Mar 14, 2017 at 9:46 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    The dealers aren't in charge you are. It's your hard earned money, if they want. Make them find you the truck you want. Or at least as close as possible. Toyota doesn't build anything to order. But if you can wait, your dealer can pull from the national inventory. They can pull up a list of everything coming down the pike like three months out.

Law323 and Patriot like this.
  8. Mar 15, 2017 at 3:24 AM
    Stumpjumper

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Dealer told me they could order the Tundra I want. When I bought my Tacoma another dealer offered to do the same. Are they lying?

9. Mar 15, 2017 at 3:57 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    I don't understand the steps and other accessory bs dealers put on trucks being non negotiable. Are these things really from the factory or does the dealer add that high profit junk on themself and just reprint the window sticker?

10. Mar 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Unless they have changed things, the dealers decide if they no haggle pricing. But, when they introduced the Scion line. One of the big things was all dealers selling for the exact same price, set by Toyota, no exceptions. Scion was supposed to be geared towards the youth market and Toyota decided that kids don't like to haggle. There was talk of them going to that system for all Toyota products. But as far as I know it never happened. It was really weird, very strict no haggle rules on scion, with minimal mark up and crappy commission. If I got a customer that was dead set on trying to beat us up on the price. It was well sir, I can show you a used one or a Toyota or the door is right over there.

11. Mar 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    The high profit add ons are mostly installed at the dealership. There are some that are called port installed. That yes, Toyota won't let you delete. Causes to much confussion and would create a quagmire of the distribution system. The bean counters decide how many of what the buyers want before production begins. Your truck starts life as a vin number and pkg quite a while before they go to actual production. Think of it as a pregnancy. Conception, gestation, birth. Again, Toyota feels like special orders cause issues with the process and would compromise QDR. Each dealer gets allocated a mix of inventory based on what they are selling and what is on their lots. They can do dealer trades if they want. But the dealer that is allocated the one you want has to agree to the trade. They're not going to trade an SR5 for a Pro that they can make a butt load more on. Maybe a Pro for a different color Pro.

Products Discussed in

To Top