1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota says oil change every 10k mi

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by KW88, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Says the man posting from a short bus.

2. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:03 PM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TSS Onroad, 24 Camaro 2SS 6.2 L
    To much to list:)
    I used to change oil every month or so when we had a newer cutlass had over 200,000 on it still running when we got rid of it during that money for junkers dealy!!:) boy we made out on that one!!!LOL!!!! Now after the two year thingy I will run around 65 to 7500 or so. That boils down to once a year for me!! YAY!!! For me!!:)

BTBAKER likes this.
  3. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    It’s really not whining. It’s just that you keep saying stupid shit even though you said you were done.

4. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Yeah. And its fun coming back for round three. The whining I was referring to was my buddies (in person) about the same stuff you guys whine about here online like lack of technology, antenna too long, shiny interior, leaky cam towers, leaky diffs, etc.

Again, all in fun jest. Nobody has still proven early oil changes are bad, yet. Watcha got thats new?

5. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    So, you have back up warning, blind spot monitoring etc. nice try Hands. What a dumb argument. Oh, I’m one of those dumb asses that did some MODs and dumped 2 grand in a stereo upgrade. Now, I’m going to show you how to check out and actually be a man of my word. :wave:

6. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    It was fun.

7. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs

The Ford comment was sarcasm.. I put an lol on the end.

From what I recall reading, Toyota recommended 60k on normal service. I was attempting to compromise knowing the Tcase would welcome the change on around the same time given its factory fluid with little use. That Interval is in the manual somewhere as well.

The point is, everytime these conversations come up the mileage is reduced with synthetic OR people claim the synthetic is voodoo. It eventually boils down to the guy that changes at 2k or something and none of us likely use the truck in such extreme conditions. If someone thinks it's fun, by all means, it simply confuses the OP and new owners.

8. Jul 14, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    I appreciate the response. If one goes back and reads my responses, they are consistent in saying do as you please. In my case, I stated what I stated and no need to rehash whats already written. I purposefully stay out of these types of threads for your various reasons stated.

No where did I claim synthetic is voodoo. Our OEM ‘dino oil’ filters work with synthetic oil which I agreed with you. The disclaimer was against a previous poster making unfounded (confusing) claims about synthetic filters. Go back and read.

I see you are changing your diff/transfer oil a little earlier than the Toy recco. Well, thats a good thing.

Tierhog[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 14, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
  10. Jul 14, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    So what is the issue here?

11. Jul 14, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    Wrongside

Wrongside New Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    Same. Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive.

careyrob and Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    None

619Tundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jul 14, 2019 at 9:01 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    I just checked the press release for the first 1 Million mile Tundra. It doesn't say that he had 117 oil changes. It says that he received service from a Toyota dealer 117 times, including oil changes, a timing belt and a few other things.

So either there were fewer than 117 oil changes or there could have been some oil changes that were not completed at a dealer. There's not enough info in any of the articles to determine which is the case.

So if this were Mythbusters we'd have to grade your statement as "Plausable", not "Confirmed".

14. Jul 15, 2019 at 12:16 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    Not my statement...The head engineer for toyota states in the video 117 oil changes at 1:27min mark of the video. I'm going on that, not making it up. I figure he would know.

careyrob[QUOTED] and Tierhog like this.
  15. Jul 15, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    My comments weren't directed at you.. A couple guys, even one earlier in the thread who likes the dirt was ENCOURAGED to do the very thing you prefer.

I think your experience with these trucks would be an asset in these conversations, so I'd hope you weren't discouraged from them. I on the other hand (excuse the pun) I don't have the knowledge of oils that some do and have to be careful in my speech regarding which is which.. But... Im an old fart thats been around heavy equipment and aircraft my entire life.
    I don't welcome change, but must or I'll be steamrolled by it. I follow intervals of service and seen them modified for environmental factors...

For the new excited guy, and in this case the OP, I'd hope we can encourage continuity in his or her maintenance program so he keeps his truck (like you successfully have) and cut any unnecessary costs or confusion. That was my intent.

Some people DO think synthetic is the same. Some think start/stop technology is a good thing, and others completely disregard maintenance and buy a new truck every year. I hope we can utilize your experience with others and simplify maintenance on these well engineered trucks. If we follow the book and call BS on the lifetime trans fluid, help the cam tower leakers and offer ENHANCED intervals for those of you that push well beyond severe service, we'd all be better for it.

:oldglory:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  16. Jul 15, 2019 at 7:07 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Dirk... Good stuff.

17. Jul 15, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    (Edited)
    Mike says, "it's had, I think, 117 oil changes". The Official Toyota Press Release says it received service at a Toyota dealer 117 times.

The two statements appear to be drawing from the same statistic and I know press releases get way more scrutiny and editing for accuracy before they're released. Mike obviously prepared for the interview, but Toyota doesn't get to a ask for a second take to make minor corrections when a media outlet is paying for the filming.

I'm not calling Mike a liar. He expressed some amount of uncertainty ("...I think...") in his statement and then the press release didn't. As far as I can tell we still don't know how many oil changes the truck had.

Post it up if you find something definitive. I'd prefer having more accurate info over winning an argument any day.

I've been wrong before. It was a Tuesday.;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    hagrid likes this.
  18. Jul 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    I prefer to be "technically correct", which happens to be the best kind of correct.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  19. Jul 16, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    MrMax

MrMax Introvertigo Eximious Geargasm

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax S/C TRD Rock Warrior
    10K on full synthetic should be doable if you drive your truck much like a commuter car. 75% of the time I start my truck up it gets hooked up to tow something...Toyhauler, Boats, Utility trailer, etc...
    I change mine every 5K and run Mobile1. based upon my unscientific visual, touch and smell tests it is still ok but ready to be changed. Too much of this is dependent upon actual usage to trust some arbitrary number. Ive done it at 3K(wasted good oil), and gone as far as 7K(a little too thin, dark and smelly)

20. Jul 16, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    Ace402

Ace402 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra 4x4 SR5
    ADS 2.5 RR front and rear. MCM UCA & Shackles

This was on the 3.4 in my old Tacoma.

I do 10k OCI in my Tundra.

Jengel451 likes this.
  21. Jul 16, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    What does this mean. 16,000 miles on an oil change?

22. Jul 16, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    That report was generated from a sample that had 14.3K miles on the oil. From the data, the lab recommends extending the next change interval to 16K miles.

Tundyfundy[QUOTED] and Ace402 like this.
  23. Jul 16, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    fundratss

fundratss Send it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey Tundra TSS
    Toytec 2.5” Coilover boss suspension 3/1 lift w/camburg uca’s Morimoto xb headlights Morimoto fog Rough country grill 2 RC blacked light bars Volant air intake system Rear air bags (for towing) I’m sure there’s more but I’m lazy
    I use Amsoil and change once a year. When I change the oil I use the oil flush right before I change as directed on the bottle. Comes out super ultra clean and no problems. Did trans flush at 50k and driveline service as well with full syn. And I did the fuel system clean at 30k (sugg 30k intervals won’t say in book) fords sugg 7k off full synthetic using their motor craft full syn. Fords change engines so much they can’t get a good oil system to function. That’s why the 5.4 3v has phaser problems.

24. Jul 16, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    I thoght that’s what I read. Awesome.

Products Discussed in

To Top