1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Safety Sense (TSS): Love it? Hate it? Can it be turned off?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by tundrathr0w, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jun 14, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    fordguy1470

fordguy1470 Member-ish

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    22 CM SR5
    Getting there
    I wondered the same thing. I'd guess it probably only flashes the brake lights when it does that panic brake bull shit

2. Jun 14, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Neither hate it or love it. My 07 doesn't need the nannies nor me. Been doing good so far driving for 46 years....

3. Jun 14, 2018 at 10:24 PM
    Bates5450

Bates5450 Elephantitus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob Bates
    Dickinson, ND
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4

Uses the brakes whenever it slows.

4. Jun 14, 2018 at 10:35 PM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    Overall I like the features, I haven't had any problems except for getting rear ended. The lady behind was following too close and the guy in front stopped shorter then I expected. The TSS kicked in and slammed the breaks and stopped short when I was trying to get closer to the guy in front before stopping.

5. Jun 14, 2018 at 11:03 PM
    chadh1972

chadh1972 New Member

Member:
    I keep the lane departure warning off. The radar cruise is great and I like the auto high beams. No issues.

6. Jun 15, 2018 at 12:07 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    I have only done one long trip on the interstate and I have to say that is the worst place to use adaptive cruise.

If you aren't' paying attention it will slow you down to the same speed as the little lady in front of you and you will be driving 52mph down the interstate. With regular cruise you would have ran up on her and changed lanes and passed her a long time ago.

7. Jun 15, 2018 at 12:50 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    I brought mine in to get looked at. Tech found water in the connectors and sensor which burnt it out. They are replacing it tomorrow but how does Toyota put the sensor there if it can’t handle a little water? They said Toyota advises against high pressure car washes for that reason.

8. Jun 15, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    I do like the adaptive cruise, and the pre-collision has worked fine for me-
    alerting me when somebody right in front of me makes a sudden stop. I normally keep lane depart off. It has only done 1 or 2 wonky stop/alarms for no reason.

I travel between locations for work, racking up 500-1000 miles per week, and I have to use that time to make calls, so these upgrades do add a layer of safety while I am on the babble.

I will say, there is a possible danger in getting used to the features; when I had to drive my wife’s Pilot, I had to get used to the LACK of the adaptive cruise- it seemed odd that the vehicle wasn’t slowing itself like I have gotten used to on freeway drives in my truck. Only took minutes to adjust though.

Ike74 likes this.
  9. Jun 15, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    I have no issues. I have turned off lane departure warnings and parking sensors. The adaptive cruise is nice for less crowded highways. On busy interstates it can be a pain, but very easy to turn off.

The brake warning has come on twice, but it was probably warranted (speeding into a big curve...damn tow/haul mode).

Other than that, nothing to complain about on my end

10. Jun 15, 2018 at 9:07 AM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    I played around with all this stuff for the first month or so. Here is my current take:

1) Lane stray was annoying, I don't need to be scolded if I cross the line safely. Turned it off with the button on the steering wheel. Don't miss it (and never have in 45 years of driving).
    2) Adaptive cruise is okay until you are rounding a sweeping left turn on the freeway in the left lane passing a slower vehicle in the right lane. It will sometimes think that you are approaching a slower vehicle and it slams the brakes on. It will also slam the brakes on if someone changes lanes in front of you going slower. I don't like either of these issues, it surprises vehicles following.

Also, I was on a two lane road following a vehicle that pulled off the road to the right to stop. The adaptive cruise slammed on the brakes thinking that I was going rear end the vehicle. Not good for those following either.

3) Auto-brights are handy at times (mountain roads especially) but I don't like the fact that it blasts the oncoming vehicle before dimming. I like to anticipate the vehicle approaching and dim before I see his/her headlights. Just a courtesy thing.

Dan

sprtbkr[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jun 15, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    If you use the turn signal lane departure won't yell at you when you cross the line. Fun fact of the day.

Jim LE 1301 and Ike74 like this.
  12. Jun 15, 2018 at 10:02 AM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    I didn't want to say anything and put anyone on the spot . . . :anonymous:

Stroke250 likes this.
  13. Jun 15, 2018 at 2:26 PM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax 4x4
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    Lane departure is annoying and that is turned off unless a long road trip. Adaptive cruise is nice, but I wish I could close the gap just a bit more. 2 second gap is a bit too far out for me. I haven't had the coffee cup come on yet. Blind spot is nice, but kinda pointless without an auditory alarm like in other models I've driven. I like the parking sensors, but have them off since I pull into my 3rd car garage spot, which is tight, and every sensor is going nuts. Rear cross traffic is nice as well. Got tested out with some pedestrians the other day, which my wife's CX-5 doesn't do.

I'm curious too if under hard automated stops, if the brake lights come on.

14. Jun 15, 2018 at 3:15 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    The manual gives instructions on how to adjust this range to three settings. The default is the long one.

Dan

15. Jun 15, 2018 at 3:28 PM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    Yep and I turn it to the closest

16. Jun 16, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Well I thought my pre collision issue would’ve been fixed today but Toyota changed their minds about what they wanted to do. Instead of replacing just the sensor, Toyota corporate wants the whole harness taken out and shipped back to them to see why everything went out when the sensor failed. They say I’m the first to have the sensor go out and everything disappear from the ECU including lane departure, cross traffic, blind spot. Now it will take 2 days to replace because they have to recalibrate the whole system which takes 6-8 hours after replacing the tss harness.

17. Jun 18, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    I can confirm that when using the adaptive cruise, the brake lights do come on. I was driving home late Saturday night and notice the tail end light up when approaching a slower moving car. Now this was when it felt like the truck was actively braking, not just slowing down.

sprtbkr likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top