1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota not as good as they were?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by gihuff, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    This part of what you say is certainly very true. I would suggest that anyone interested in how Toyota is structured and what they do to maintain their corporate legacy read “Lean Thinking” by James Womack and Daniel Jones. The Toyota model is studied and copied by many successful corporations and it’s not dependent on any set of engineers.

Sunnier, sprtbkr and myt1 like this.
  2. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    My alternator in my POS Buick only lasted 5 years! And that was my smallest issue. I traded it in for my Tundra which I love and I was going to buy a Silverado or Sierra.........I'm so happy I didn't.

3. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    Are you sure you're not Elk Hunter in disguise?

4. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    BamaGuyinTX

BamaGuyinTX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5
    Actually the OP didn’t say he had any problems with any of his (if you believe him) Toyotas. He seems to be saying the design of the newest gen Tundra would require more labor to replace the alternator (if needed). But I’m just doing my best to decipher...whatever that was.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    HecticEnergy and gosolo like this.
  5. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:

I do agree that Toyota has some minor issues with a few of their products. But, when compared to their competitors, they are the benchmark!! I am not making it up. Just look around on the various consumer reporting websites, as well as, Federal Government Trasportation Safety websites and you will see for yourself.

It’s in my opinion that because all of these auto manufacturers are now utilizing the universal parts manufacturers for many of their standard parts, like airbags, alternators, and so on, to keep their costs down, so that they can be competitive. That often times, these parts fail due to them being made overseas in places like China where they do not have any quality standards. And, or their quality standards are subpar, if they even do have any quality standards to begin with.

I have bought brand new luxury vehicles such as Mercedes, BMWs, and Audi and have experienced even much more quality and reliability issues than that of Toyota. Those high end auto manufacturers all claim that their products costs more because they us better quality and more expensive parts. But, their failure rates are higher than even Toyota. When there were major problems with Takata airbags, we found out that almost ever auto maker were impacted. And, even though, the vehicle may be a Ford, Toyota, or Mercedes, they all suffered from the part’s failure. I wouldn’t say that’s a Toyota or Ford, or BMW problem, but parts manufacturers’ problems.

Now, there are definitely some auto manufacturers that are constantly churning out crap after crap. I don’t call any names, but you all can figure out those brands that I am referring to. lol. They are the manufacturers that have very poor engineering designs and overall subpar quality standards.

I know that my post is very lengthy, and I apologize for that. I am not being paid by Toyota or getting any other type of kickbacks from them. But, what I do know is that they make some damn good shit. And this past March first, their shot saved my wife’s life after she were rear ended in her 2016 Toyota Sequoia, by a hit and run Hummer H2. And left for dead!! Her Sequoia withstood the impact of a 70+ mile an hour Hummer H2. She is alive and well and her today because of that. Now, on the other hand, I hate them damn Toyotas when I were on active duty fighting insurgents in The Afghanistan mountains. Them damn Toyotas would always out run our military vehicles and would never die. Even after I put several rounds from my 50 cal in their engines. Lol.

HecticEnergy, Sunnier and sprtbkr like this.
  6. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    Most (if not all) new vehicles are almost overly complex and/or crowded. It's one thing I really like about the Tundra, I can see most of the engine bay quite easily for visual checks. Go check out the new HD Diesel, at least the V8 Ford and GM's, those engine bays are so dam crowded and high up it's nearly impossible to do any work without taking out 5 hoses. Hell I almost needed a step ladder just to check the oil in a Ford 6.7, luckily the tow hooks worked in place of carrying around a step ladder for minor maintenance.

parallax and gosolo[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    Google a 2006 4.8 BMW X5 alternator replacement. Damn thing is water cooled and sits in an enclosure that makes it a nightmare to get out and forces the draining & filling oftheh radiator. (I learned the hard way)

parallax, trdprobped17 and Black Wolf like this.
  8. Jun 18, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    Looks like another troll.

Grumpy Uncle and gosolo like this.
  9. Jun 18, 2018 at 5:48 AM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
  10. Jun 18, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    Metro14536

Metro14536 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green SR5 CM TRDOR 4x4
    This is a joke, right???:rofl:

T500 likes this.
  11. Jun 18, 2018 at 6:33 AM
    scruffy

scruffy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dmitriy
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited TRD 5.7 4X4
    Haha kinda funny that you mention that ... (I'm 6'1" btw) ...

IMG_20171103_193435.jpg

12. Jun 18, 2018 at 7:56 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/tundra/reliability

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/car-buyers-guides/power-profile-toyota-tundra

All you need to know about Tundras and Toyota vehicles in general.

The Camry is the #1 selling vehicle in the world. Let that sink in for a minute.

Lexus is always a top leader in luxury, sport sedans, and research/development.

Funny how people make fun of Ford for using aluminum panels for weight reduction (Jaguar, Corvette, Peterbuilt, MB, Audi) Hell, Lexus has been doing this long before (my 07’ IS350 has aluminum hood and trunk lid), and Ford is late to the party as usual.
    https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/aluminum-and-the-auto-industry/
    One of the top rated cars of all time is the Lexus 430 premium. Check it out, pretty bad ass luxury cars even in today’s standards 15 years later after its last production year.

Now let’s rewind back to the mid 80’s to 1984. Last year of the truck with a solid front axle, and depending on when made, first year of the fuel injected 22RE motor. Can anyone of you honestly say you would give up your current Tundra and drive one of these? Hell no you wouldn’t. It might be cool for a minute, but not long term. My dad owned an 84’ extended cab. It was cool and was a great hunting rig in Montana, but I sure wouldn’t want that as my travel truck or daily driver. Our favorite was an FJ40 with the I-6. That rig was pure awesomeness in the wilderness.

Some of us also remember back in the day, a motor/drivetrain with 100k miles was pretty worn out. Now days, people don’t even think twice about it.

13. Jun 18, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Whatever you and Elk Hunter are smoking, I want some.

14. Jun 25, 2018 at 1:01 AM
    Twinky

Twinky Keep the shinny side up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kemah, Texas chillin on my ChrisCraft 480
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    I remember when my uncles odometer rotated back to all zero's. I was a youngen, but to older folks it was a pretty big deal. None of them had ever really seen a good reliable vehical with that high of milage.

The odometer went from 99,999k and then back to 00,000.

Kinda makes you wonder... Why didnt the manufacturer add one more reel to the odometer. It basically implies a possible million miles.

parallax likes this.
  15. Jun 25, 2018 at 5:59 AM
    Midmo_tundra

Midmo_tundra New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    I currently have a 2016 Tundra Platinum and my fiance has a 2014 4Runner SR5 Premium, you can tell a difference in quality between the 4runner (made in Japan) and my Tundra. IMO, the 4Runner feels more solid

My previous Tundra's (2010, 2011, and 2014) have all had minor issues which were fixed under warranty.

I'd say 10 years from an alternator is pretty good, the fact that Toyota made it hard to service doesn't take away from how reliable the truck is.

16. Jun 25, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    Porsche was using aluminum deck lids in the early 70s. Pain in the ass then (easily bent), no better today when you read about fords body issues.

IMO my 06 tundra was a better built, higher overall quality vehicle than my 17.

17. Jun 25, 2018 at 10:27 PM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    This was the truck that really sold me on Toyota quality. Bought this 1993 for $600 off a buddy, it had been his mentally ill wife's truck, she painted it with flat black house paint, it was pretty damn beat up, had been driven in the ditch, hood held on with a bungee cord.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet it ran great, shifted great, drove straight down the road, the crash hadn't bent the frame or anything. No rust on it was the main thing that sold me. Needed a clutch, that was also $600. Did the front brakes, new calipers and discs for $400, fixed the front end up for less than $50, drove it from 150k to 170k miles in the 5 years I owned it with ZERO issues. Great running truck, if the A/C had worked, I'd have driven it a lot more. Sold it for $1400.

parallax likes this.
  18. Jun 26, 2018 at 12:38 AM
    parallax

parallax Professional Zamboni stunt driver

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Crewmax SR5 5.7 TRD 4x4
    Dash camera
    My wife bought a new 1974 toyota corona when she got out of high school. she drove it till 1994 20 years,with just normal maintenance, then she gave it to her niece when she graduated high school, her niece wrecked it within 1 week :(
    this is my first toyota purchase, am hoping to have a long and pleasant relationship with it.:taco:

19. Jun 26, 2018 at 2:44 AM
    jmdwifi

jmdwifi New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fredericksburg VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement 5.7 Limited with offroad
    All chrome gone, pro grill, KC ditch light and bluetooth wireless controller.
    My 2018 uses way more gas than my Honda Civic. Just sayin

20. Jun 26, 2018 at 4:59 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    All I can say is I like my 02’ now even more than when I bought it. Its paid for, never let me down, made me lots of money with a few little repairs and some regular maintenance. The other beautiful thing is the life expectancy still left on her. Sitting at 157k now with another 150k left?

Products Discussed in

To Top