1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toy Hauler vs. Travel Trailer......

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by ColoradoTJ, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Mar 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    The debate is on. The family was going in a different direction (buying a house with land), but more for my needs than theirs so we decided to put the veto on that (for now). We have mountain property and would suit us all to develop that instead of moving out in the boondocks and commuting every day.

So for family trips and fun we are pretty sure a camper could really get the good times and memories going. I have only owned a slide-in camper, and to be honest it was a nightmare. Setting up, the issues, maintenance, storage, etc. It was one of the better slide-ins (Northstar) but really ended up being more work than fun. Hell, I even started pulling out the tent even when we had this camper.

I really don't want to make the same/similar mistakes again.

I am limited to what I can buy in a toy hauler due to my truck, but will keep it within weight limits. The Tundra is staying for a few more years minimum unless it gets totaled in an accident or something. Hoping the next generation Tundra comes out with some "wow" and it will be another one for me. If not, going with a bigger truck most likely for safety concerns.

These are some ideas:

Forest River Work and Play, or something like this.

These trailers are pretty tough. Overbuilt in my opinion, but in a good way. The way the floors are, and materials used, easy for cleanup and not such a worry for scratching a rubber floor with dogs and kids. This would not be used for my Jeep, not big enough and my Tundra will not pull it. 13K is a lot of weight to be yanking over the passes. 5 mpg isn't cool either. That will be later, and in a 5th wheel.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/5467476084.html
    http://rockies.craigslist.org/rvd/5473664325.html

Jayco campers are excellent quality. They also have the best warranty in the business. Several of my friends or co-workers have had/own the Jayco brand with really good results. They are a little more heavy. I am used to towing over 7500 lbs with this Tundra, so no big deal.

http://www.jayco.com/products/toy-haulers/2016-octane-super-lite/222/

Heartland TH

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/brands/travel/torque-xlt/tq-t25

Travel Trailers:

Heartland campers. These look to be well built and have seen several after years of use and no real issues.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.p...-king-27-bhds&catid=82:north-trail&Itemid=398

Jayco Campers again. Pretty nice....same quality/warrantee as mentioned before.
    http://www.jayco.com/products/toy-haulers/2016-octane-super-lite/222/

I see pro's and con's for both style ownership. Here are some of my likes/needs:

-I really do not like RV camping sites. No issue if others like it, but if I am going to do that a lot, I might as well save the 20-30K, bad fuel economy, slower speeds and everything else that goes with ownership and get really nice Hotel or condo rentals. This also comes with a cost of dry camping...I will get to that later.

-TT seem to not have a lot of fresh water storage. This is an issue. I have 3 ladies in my family. Nuff said on water. TH on the other hand have a pretty good water storage. I like that. The TH also make it a lot easier to haul a 55 gallon drum of water for extended stays. I used to haul a 55 gallon drum on my trailer for my slide in camper. However, that camper actually had a pretty good fresh water storage that might challenge some of the TT seen on these links. The black water storage really isn't a huge issue. We have liked using the outside bathroom in a tent that use a bucket, gel filled, and no smell and storage issues. I'm not against using the bathroom inside the camper, but on extended stays, this can be problematic.

-Power. I will run solar, but that only goes so far. Out at the mountain property, we will have full hookups within a couple years. Water, electricity, and waste water will not be an issue while up there. Being away, is a total different story. We have options, and there are some pretty cool setups for power. As far as a generator, I can only stand having a very quiet one. Personally, I can't stand listening to them up in the mountains and will not do that to anyone else. Our Jeeping club has had some run in's with very inconsiderate people running these loud ass generators until 4am right next to our camp. That usually doesn't work out well for either party.
    For the TT, we could mount or place a smaller generator in the storage bins, or buy/build a rack for the rear bumper for a larger Honda 3300. Then there is always the theft, gas cans, etc issues that come with that. Humping the generator up and down gets old as well.
    TH usually have a space or have a generator with a fueling station. Very convenient.

-TT are a lot nicer in most cases when living space and luxury come into play. For me, I don't go up to the mountains to be in my house. I am rarely inside anyway. Now this may not be the case with others.
    TH is more rustic for a lack of a better term, but a hell of a lot better than sleeping on the ground, or in the bed of my truck. Been there, done that a little too much.

So members, what say you?

2. Mar 4, 2016 at 4:13 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    You are right about toyhaulers generally having larger tanks. Since they're 'overbuilt' to allow for hauling a lot of cargo weight, it allows for the bigger water capacity. TT's are more about comfort, but there are some pretty nice toyhauler setups out there too. For me it comes down to one simple question: do you want to be able to camp out and have your quads/bikes/etc. with you, while doing it all with one truck? For my needs a toyhauler with the folding dinette and bench was the perfect answer so that's what I went with.

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2016 at 4:24 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Did you happen to go down to the RV show last week at National Western complex? There were hundreds of RVs, literally every one that is available. Took me all day to go through and I'm sure I missed some. A ton of great info and was great to be able to see and evaluate them next to each other. Highly recommend this show.
    As far as the TH goes. I've always liked the idea but most of the layouts are horrible. Now that they are putting slides in, they are getting much better. My buddy had one and got rid of it after a year. You could hardly stay in it because it smelled so bad of gas. This is the biggest complaint with them. And is also why you see the separate living compartments from the garage in the longer models.
    You also mentioned the water issue with most TT. I dry camp exclusively. I've never stayed in a campground so I have this problem. My solution is to bring 4-6 five gallon water containers. There are a few TT now that have larger water storage. Generators are almost a necessity if your going for more then a couple of days. Agree on the noise issue but I use a 2000 Yamaha with a long extension cord. Place it on the back side of the TT with the exaust pointed away and you can't hear it at all. Run it a couple hrs mid day to recharge batteries. Problem solved.

4. Mar 4, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I missed the RV show, but may be heading up to Denver on Saturday with the family to see what is out there.

Due to tow ratings, doubt a separate garage that is sectionalized from the rest of the camper isn't happening. Never know though.

Great points from both sides of ownership. My other half doesn't want a TH, that has been made clear. So if we found one we like, it will have to be a huge "wow" factor.

Keep them coming. Let me know what style/brand/model if you would.

5. Mar 5, 2016 at 9:03 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Any other RVers on here?

6. Mar 6, 2016 at 4:23 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Dunno if you've been here, but this is where I found mine- www.rvt.com. It's a good place to wander around and see all sorts of different brands/styles all around the country. I found a lot of variations that I never knew existed. Using the 'Advanced Search' you can be as specific as you want.

7. Mar 6, 2016 at 4:47 AM
    George14

George14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 Dc TRD Off Road 5.7L with tow package
    None
    I have a Keystone thats about 7500 lbs TT. You could go to a rv fourm to get some answers on toy halwers. My truck tows the trailer with on problem.

8. Mar 6, 2016 at 5:45 AM
    Fastfinish

Fastfinish New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 XSP-X
    I have had 4 Toy Haulers.I think to get one large enough that your whole family will enjoy your going to need a bigger truck.I have towed in your mountains and it isn't the going up the mountain so much its going down that I am glad I had the exhaust brake and a larger truck I have a small Keystone Fuzion TT Toyhauler.It has 110 galloons fresh water and a 4000 Cummins gen.I am OK dry camping for a little time.Make sure you get a big water heater for a whole family that will be an issue for most.Its just my wife and myself in ours and it still gets small real quick.We don't even have a slide.Make a good choice because they are not worth much after you buy them.I had a Keystone Fuzion 301 Fifth Wheel pulled from Alabama to Montana with a Cummins,thought the same as you about the pulling something that big across the country.Since then I have sold both the Fifth Wheel and the Truck and downsized to what we have now.We will just be towing close by now days.I posted pics in the what do you Tow tread.

9. Mar 6, 2016 at 7:00 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Thanks for the recommendation. I have looked on RV net and I'm a member. Great place for information.

10. Mar 6, 2016 at 7:03 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Thank you. We were looking at Keystone Outbacks yesterday. Any issues with yours? I have two buddies that say they are not built well. Any truth to that?

11. Mar 6, 2016 at 7:07 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    For now, the toy hauler is out and you are so right. I would need a bigger truck looking at ones yesterday. I know better since coming from diesels. Not ready to buy my forever truck and a DD car just yet.

12. Mar 6, 2016 at 8:03 AM
    George14

George14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 Dc TRD Off Road 5.7L with tow package
    None
    Had no problems I got the Laredo only had it for a year

13. Mar 6, 2016 at 8:31 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Mr and Mrs TJ went up to Denver yesterday to look at RVs. We seen a lot of what we liked, and didn't like.

Toy haulers are out. As fast finish said, I would need a bigger truck.

There are the front, one atv sized TT that actually really fit our needs. The 240URS and 324CG by Keystone. Perfect place for dogs, kids bikes, coolers, etc.

We checked on the Work & play TH in the 25' range. Not interested. They just did not do anything well, just ok at best. Now the bigger 5ver ones are bad ass. Again, would need a bigger truck and I need to save for a while to buy something like that.

Looked at some generators as well. Like the Honda 3000.
    Any other recommendations on a portable generator?

14. Mar 7, 2016 at 5:08 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    I've got the Polaris 3KW and it's been great. I had their 2KW before I bought this trailer and was planning to pick up another one of those plus a parallel kit, but decided I didn't want to have to do everything twice. Yamaha makes some good ones too from what I've heard.

15. Mar 7, 2016 at 5:52 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Honda and Yamaha generators are hard to beat. I have a 2K Yamaha and 3 Hondas. 1000,2000 and the 3500. The 3500 is big and heavy. And it's loud and not really what I would consider very portable. Curious what your going to need a 3K for just for camping? Most can get away with a 1K. I've used a 2K for years and have never needed any more then the 2K. There's a big difference in noise level once you get above the 2K models. Both the Honda and Yamaha are very quiet.

16. Mar 7, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
  17. Mar 8, 2016 at 3:55 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    I bumped up to the 3K so I could run the trailer's AC while desert camping if I so desire. It's also good to be able to use the microwave while other stuff is running too. On the vast majority of trips I don't use either one of those, but it is nice to have the option. I also have a couple of mining claims in the mountains so "camping" for me can be anywhere from a weekend trip for relaxing to where I plan on spending the entire month of July at one of my claims this summer. Those 'home comforts' come in nice on the extended trips.

I have a generator platform on the front of the trailer so portability isn't much of an issue for me either. I just mount it once, lock it to the trailer frame and leave it there for the entire trip.

Genny Platform.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  18. Mar 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That is why we are looking for a bigger one. In CO, running an AC most likely isn't happening due to the cooler weather at elevation. Other areas we go, it can be a good option.

Mining claim huh? My dad would call you his new son. He enjoys panning. He just lost his friend in a jeep accident last year that got him all into mining.

19. Mar 8, 2016 at 9:12 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    That sucks to hear about his friend. I got into panning a little when I lived in Alaska back in the 90's. After moving to near the Sierras several years ago I decided to pick the hobby back up and now I'm probably close to $10K into it for claims/equipment/etc so I guess I can no longer call it a "hobby".

20. Mar 8, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I would think not...lol. I have seen people do pretty good on this "hobby"

21. Mar 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Update:

I think we found the best of both worlds. We started looking at toy haulers and really do not want to sell the tundra at this time. Our vehicles are paid off and want to keep it that way for a bit. A new diesel is crazy expensive.

The Keystone Outback 230RS is a great option, but it seems a little tight with all the people and pets going. I started looking around for something in between the bigger RS models and came across the 280RS. It is go time.

image.jpg

We like the front toy hauler option with bunks, kitchen slide on the other side, rear slide that gets us a king sized bed. The dogs can travel in the front, store items up there as well.

Anyone own something like this?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Fastfinish likes this.
  22. Mar 26, 2016 at 5:00 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    I looked at one with a very similar layout, but different brand when I was shopping. I loved the setup, but unfortunately the side-load garage was too short for my quad to fit, so I had to keep looking. Great layout otherwise and I was ready to buy it until I realized it wouldn't work for me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  23. Mar 26, 2016 at 7:40 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    You must have a huge quad not to fit in that space.

Good information.

24. Mar 26, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    That's about as close as you can get to what a lot of us are looking for. Another option is the TTs that have the open front that you can fit two quads on.

25. Mar 26, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Those are also a good option as well. My other half would make me live in that camper if I purchased another ATV or motorcycle.

26. Mar 27, 2016 at 4:51 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Getting everything you want to take to your destination is always an issue. We take several trips each year that pose this same issue. Everyone hauls a heavy load getting TTs, boats, quads and bikes to our camping spot. Kinda look like the Beverly Hillbillies.

image_zpsuezy4bfb_75f2b213565564bc631d9e5e6ded00b8d867f918.jpg
    image_zpsnugkk4sy_3ad605c1abf07ec40000db114ea2b1b995ba0d09.jpg
    image_zpsemiwa5if_4958e83aee1fca046d81c64eebf8267fb725d783.jpg

27. Mar 27, 2016 at 5:13 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    It's just longer than most. With the dump bed on the back it's just over 93" long. For an 8' wide trailer, once you make allowance for the wall and closed ramp widths, it was a few inches too short for the quad to fit.

Load-3.jpg

28. Apr 1, 2016 at 11:06 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    We decided to purchase the TT.
    image.jpg

The man in me had to weigh it, so I drive down to work and got some numbers.

image.jpg

I have weighed my Tundra before with me in it at 6000-6020 lbs. The trailer is a little more heavy, with both propane bottles full, no water or gear.

The Tundra pulled it well up grades. There could be some improvement in the LDH area. The trailer is pretty level, but when loaded could be an issue.

image.jpg

Fastfinish, T-Rex266 and Jack Burton like this.
  29. Apr 2, 2016 at 5:46 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Looks great! :thumbsup:

30. Apr 2, 2016 at 6:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The kids went crazy. They wanted to stay in it last night. Lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top