1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing larger trailers

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by jsmithtx, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    This was entertaining watching this guy hit freeway speeds. LDH setup fail. 69013147-8430-4A73-B2D8-73C47F8D1F35.jpg

Watt maker likes this.
  2. Mar 8, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I'm not sure if he did or didn't. Looked like to me he needed to level the hitch A LOT! LOL. The front spacer level kit wasn't doing much favors in the towing department.

Dutchmen Toy haulers are pretty nice. I'm thinking the one pictured is the 2600. Pretty nice, but heavy. I wish that there were better options for me with a Jeep. Work & Play had some in the past that would work nicely...but there would be another 50K out the door for a hobby.

http://www.dutchmen.com/rubicon/floorplans-and-pictures/floorplans-detail/?modelId=6314

Watt maker likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Small world.

So your gonna laugh your ass off. That picture has been all over the net. One of my buddies owned that GN camper/buggy hauler. He towed it with either his 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L truck with 4.10 gears, or on long hauls he would get his F350 diesel out. This setup is pretty heavy. His gas powered Chevy did pretty well with the load, but wasn’t anything to jump up and down about. Not sure how well the white Tundra did with it, but he was from TX and where it was, kinda flat.

I think this is a slick setup, however I would rather just have a more primitive interior and have a totally enclosed trailer, and then just stay at hotels. Been looking at 30-34’ GN 8.5’ enclosed trailers and selling my toyhauler.

Watt maker likes this.
  4. Feb 2, 2023 at 6:19 PM
    Dard

Dard New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limitied
    Would like a guess-a-mated weight of a plain jane 20 foot enclosed trailer with a 1200cc tricycle and 2 1800cc cruisers? All have bags and are decked out in bling crap. I've hauled the trailer, loaded with household stuff, from Colorado to Wisconsin a few years back and didn't have any issues using my 2018 Tundra. Now I have to go back to Colorado for a visit with the bikes.

5. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:22 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I would hit a CAT scale and find out....

landphil and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  6. Feb 3, 2023 at 3:57 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    +1, that is what I did with my boat when I had to transfer the registration from La to Tx. It was easy.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 3, 2023 at 5:44 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I will add that I did not unhook it from the truck. The DMV would never know that I excluded the hitch weight. I you want the total weight you can unhook the trailer. If you want to know the hitch weight you will have to weigh it with just the jack stand on the scale and then hook it up and pull the axles over the scale.

Retired...finally likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top