1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tool to get oil cap off

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by CarolinaSupercharged, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Oct 6, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    CarolinaSupercharged

CarolinaSupercharged [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maybe this is a nob question but I don't believe my oil filter cap is OEM. What will I need to remove this cap? This is my first oil change on the Tundra.

20191004_090341.jpg
    20191004_090329.jpg

2. Oct 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
  3. Oct 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    CarolinaSupercharged

Member:
  4. Oct 6, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    That is an OEM Toyota part. The tundra comes with a plastic cap, some replace it with that aluminum housing. The same finger wrench fits both

5. Oct 6, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    CarolinaSupercharged

Member:
    :thumbsup:

6. Oct 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    Don't forget to use the spigot that comes with the filter and drain the oil or you will have a mess.

HbbTundra08 likes this.
  7. Oct 6, 2019 at 12:09 PM
    CarolinaSupercharged

Member:
    Searching on Amazon for last 10 minutes to find filter with drain tub for 2011 Tundra o_O Want to make sure I buy a good filter and correct filter.

8. Oct 6, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
  9. Oct 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    Midnite72

Midnite72 Anything DIRT !!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Northern MD
    Vehicle:
    18 SR 5.7 4x4
    2” level P&P sliders
  10. Oct 6, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    Rph74

Rph74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited Silver/Redrock
    For the record, my local Toyota dealership said that their techs don’t bother with the spigot thing and just remove the filter cap and deal with the mess. I just did it that way recently and surprisingly it wasn’t too bad of a clean up.

I struggled to the the spigot thing to work, maybe I’ll try again next time.

11. Oct 6, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    OR18TRD likes this.
  12. Oct 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    It it says "TOYOTA" on the side of it, it's OEM. If it says "Made in China", it's probably a Dorman. Quick lube places are apparently replacing the plastic housing with aftermarket Dormans when they break them.

IMPORTANT: When installing new o-ring on filter housing, be sure you follow the directions on the side of the Toyota filter box to avoid leaks. I'm thinking NG means NO GOOD.

IMG_0504.jpg .

13. Oct 6, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    greghoro

greghoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Limited
    Note the suggestion to drain the filter housing before removing it, using the plastic drain tool included with the filter.

You need to remove the round cover at the bottom of the housing using a 3/8" drive socket extension. A small amount of oil may leak out, the majority is drained after the plastic drain tool is inserted into the opening. Some plastic drain tools snap in, other screw in (my preference).

Bering able to drain the filter housing in this manner depends on how the prior person reinstalled the housing and drain cover. This is where a torque wrench in important. The housing is installed first and torqued to a value of 18ft·lb, 25 N-m, then the drain cover is installed and torqued to 9 ft-lb, 115 in-lb, 13 N·m. Many people install and tighten the housing using a 3/8" drive extension in the drain cover, which also tightens the drain cover to the same torque as the housing, making removing the drain cover the next time you change your oil difficult or impossible.

Greg

14. Oct 6, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    greghoro

greghoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Limited
    Strong is an understatement! On my Sequoia, the drain plug is not on the bottom but angled to the side and have had oil splash onto the tire. Now I use a bucket, position it as close to the drain as possible as well as off the the side to anticipate the sideways stream. I use a telescoping magnet tool to fish out the drain plug.

Greg

15. Oct 6, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    Rph74

Rph74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MO
    Vehicle:
    I’m glad to know a bucket is good enough to catch the HUGE stream of oil that comes out. I was thinking of buying a decent sized Rubbermaid container, but a bucket would be easier to store.

16. Oct 6, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Good idea on the magnet.

I envy a "good strong stream"...it helps to wash out all those solids and impurities on the bottom. Try one of those oil drain valves on your Sequoia...should knock that "strong stream" right into the dirt. :D

17. Oct 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM
    Midnite72

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Northern MD
    Vehicle:
    18 SR 5.7 4x4
    2” level P&P sliders
    Install a fumoto valve in place of oil pan drain plug and get a $5 - 6’ length of 3/8” hose -attach hose to valve then other end into oil pan - open valve = slow drain but NO MESS !!

JM2C

Pudge likes this.
  18. Oct 6, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    Midnite72

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Northern MD
    Vehicle:
    18 SR 5.7 4x4
    2” level P&P sliders

Using the Motivx drain tool that screws in place of filter housing plug-It threads in tight then you screw collar up to release valve- put hose in drain pan = NO MESS

Rph74[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 6, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    greghoro

greghoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Limited
    Check out the back door of your local Asian or Sushi restaurant, that's where I get mine. With snap on lid. You may have to fight the home-brewers, as the buckets are food grade. And the square corner makes an ideal pouring spout, as I transfer the used oil into a 5 gallon vegetable oil container for storage until I can take it to the local oil recycler.

Key is to get the bucket as close to the drain as possible. And have the bucket aligned so that the stream drains into the corner, which provides the longest part of the bucket opening as the stream slows down.

I suppose that a drain valve would be less fuss but sometimes I am forced to have a change done commercially and a few said they just remove it rather than wait for it to drain. Purolator filers come with a screw in plastic filter housing drain tool to which I have attached a hose, almost as good as a Motivx drain tool. Before I discovered this, I used the Toyota snap in style and came up with a trick to reduce the mess. At a resale shop, I found one of those sturdy Nalgene bottles with screw on top. Drilled the top with a hole saw so that the bottom of the plastic drain tool with a short length of hose would fit through but the drain tool flange would not. With the drain tool sitting on top of the bottle with the hose inside, I then to quickly push the tool into the housing and gradually pull the bottle away to let it drain in the bucket below (I have lots of buckets, the Sushi gods have smiled on me). As a prior poster noted, the oil change guys dispense with this. They are not laying on their back on the floor and they have a telescoping catch funnel the size of a hula-hoop.

I'm not to worried about mess on the floor, as I always put a large piece of cardboard down to cover the area.

Greg

Rph74[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 6, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    Rph74

Rph74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MO
    Vehicle:
    Greghoro, that’s impressive ingenuity sir. Can you send a pic of this invention?

Off topic—I’m glad to see it’s not just me that thinks through (some would say overanalyzes) seemingly mundane things like a simple oil change.

21. Oct 6, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    greghoro

greghoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Limited
    I don't have the bottle set-up any more, as I have been using a Purolator screw-in version with a hose for some time. My purchased new 2009 Camry had this same setup, so I've been working on alternatives for some time.

Note, the Camry came with a metal housing and was surprised when I first saw the plastic housing on my Sequoia. I've since replaced it with a metal one from Toyota.

First iteration was using a plastic Coke bottle to push the snap-in drain tool but it wasn't rigid enough and deformed if the oil was too hot.

Greg

Rph74 likes this.
  22. Oct 6, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    greghoro

greghoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Limited
    See this YouTube video where someone uses a glass Vodka bottle to push the snap-in type drain. Be sure to wear gloves if the oil is hot. Early on I chose not to use a glass bottle to solve the rigidity problem, as if you drop it, you have two problems; mess and glass shards.

Greg

Pudge and Rph74 like this.
  23. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    HbbTundra08

HbbTundra08 Epstein Didn't Kill Himself

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax SR5 2wd 5.7L
    TAC Stainless Steel Bull Bar RCI Steel Engine Skid Plate Two Stainless Steel 100w KC Daylighters Black Husky Weatherbeater Floor Liners front and rear. Kenwood Media System with Rear License plate backup camera integrated.
    This is so true! Once bought a new oil filter at autozone and someone had stolen the spigot out at the store at some point...guess who had to get covered in oil?:annoyed:Always check for the spigot people!

West Texas Tundra likes this.
  24. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Every time I've tried to take out that cap for the spout the whole housing turns. I don't even bother trying now. As long as you have a wide pan it'll catch all the oil. I just loosen it up until I can spin it by hand. Then O push up as I unscrew it until it's all the way un-threaded. Then I tilt it away from my hand and get almost no oil on me. The wife's Rav4 has a little latch that's suppose to stop the housing from unscrewing unless you release it but it's never worked. I didn't even see one on my '07 so either it's gone or it never had it.

HbbTundra08 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top