1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Titanium Fasteners

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Civi9, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Sep 21, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    Civi9

Civi9 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 White RCSB 4.6L
    Rear muffler delete, replaced by Flowmaster muffler. 2 to 1 stock tailpipe location. Currently working on collecting parts to swap cab mounts for bed bounce TSB. Using titanium fasteners!
    Hey fellas!

I have a new to me 2010 RCSB with the bed bounce/choppy ride issue.

I pulled the rear cab mount nut and washer off to take a look and see if the TSB had been completed by one of the previous 4 owners. As you can imagine, the original mount was still there.

IMG_6497.jpg

I got all the black liquid/gunk leaking out, that others have described. (photos below) Interesting enough, the front cab mount did not have any fluid leak out.

IMG_6482.jpg

IMG_6483.jpg

Both the front and the rear pairs of cab mount bolts were majorly corroded.

IMG_6489.jpg

This got me thinking about replacing the fasteners with another material during the TSB swap. I've always been intrigued by titanium, and there began my research.

It is my understanding that Grade 5 Titanium is similar in strength to grade 8 steel. I've read that tensile and compressive strength are very good, and that shear strength is not. The weight-saving variable is particularly interesting to me, despite the understanding that it is relatively negligible.

2. Sep 21, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    Civi9

Civi9 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 White RCSB 4.6L
    Rear muffler delete, replaced by Flowmaster muffler. 2 to 1 stock tailpipe location. Currently working on collecting parts to swap cab mounts for bed bounce TSB. Using titanium fasteners!
    My search for the massive bolt size led me to only one company that offered them, Ti64. Prices are very high (photos below), but I figured I'd be the guinea pig and just go for it. The idea is that the fasteners would never need to be replaced again, as titanium is remarkably corrosion resistant.

IMG_6510.jpg

Here are some prices I paid:

IMG_6494.jpg IMG_6556.jpg IMG_6493.jpg IMG_6491.jpg

3. Sep 21, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    Civi9

Civi9 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 White RCSB 4.6L
    I plan on doing the install this weekend.

I was told by one of the owners of Ti64 to use manufacturer torque specs, but I will be using Moly paste on the threads. It is my understanding that the torque value needs to be decreased by 15-25% when using a thread lube. The moly paste should help prevent galling, as well as protect the steel nuts from corroding.

I decided to use OEM all metal locking nuts to the cab mount bolts. I read that using titanium nuts with titanium bolts significantly increases the tendency for galling.

I'll post some side by side shots of the fasteners, washers, and mounts.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    bvia likes this.
  4. Nov 1, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    Civi9

Civi9 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 White RCSB 4.6L
    I know it's 6 weeks later, but I'd like to post recent findings.

First of all, some side by side photos:

IMG_6565.jpg IMG_6566.jpg IMG_6564.jpg

And this is what happens when you try to reuse an all-metal locking nut, on a rusty OEM bolt:

IMG_6559.jpg

Final impression is that the rhythmic bouncing is reduced around 50%. My passenger seat slightly bounces up and down, whereas it used to violently bounce.

You can still feel the bouncing, but it no longer seems that the truck is unsteady.

Trd307 and 831Tun like this.
  5. Nov 4, 2018 at 3:28 PM
    swank501

swank501 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    TRD S/C Crewmax window conversion Auburn LSD Custom interior
    I though the bed bounce issue was only on the longer frame models. I’ve never experience any issues on my rcsb.

Rica25 likes this.
  6. Nov 4, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    I did the TSB in 2011

7. Nov 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    You might wanna check this out:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series
    The farther apart the metals are, the more rapidly ions are exchanged (galvanic corrosion being ion exchange)
    If it were me I'd consider titanium nuts and washers.

Products Discussed in

To Top