1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Pressure Chalk Test - How to guide

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by csuviper, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Jul 7, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    csuviper

csuviper [OP] Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    This method of checking tire pressure, called the chalk test, demonstrates if your tire is bulging from too much pressure or if it is slightly concave from a lack of pressure

IMG_5749_64d60939fe356c5de9edbc49e4c28c67fe272841.jpg

Instructions
    1. Fill the tires to a good starting pressure. If you are unsure what pressure to start with then subtract 10 percent from the manufacturer's maximum inflation pressure on the side of the tire. If, for example, the maximum is 40 psi, then 10 percent of 40 is 4. Subtract the 10 percent value from the maximum psi value. So, 40 - 4 = 36. Use 36 psi in your tires. You could also use the following calculation for the starting pressure.
      • Weight of vehicle / (Manufacturers weight rating x 4)) x Manufacturers inflation pressure at weight rating
    2. Drive to a flat area. This can be your driveway or the street in front of your house. Just make sure there aren't a lot of cracks, bumps or pot holes in the ground.
    3. Using chalk, draw a thick, straight line across the width of the tire.
    4. Use Test Variance 1 or Test Variance 2 for the completion of the instructions.

Test Variance 1
    1. Drive the truck forward at least one-full truck length.
    2. Inspect the chalk on the ground. A tire with the proper air pressure should press the chalk line evenly across the ground. This means you'll see the entire chalk line imprinted on the ground. If your tire is over-inflated, you'll only see a small portion of line in the center. If you're tire is underinflated, you'll see only the sides of the lines since the middle of the tire is not making contact with the ground.
    3. Adjust your tire's air pressure according to the chalk test results and try again until you get the chalk line to press evenly across the ground.

Test Variance 2
    1. Drive the truck to the end of the street and back or around the block.
    2. Inspect the chalk on the tire. A tire with the proper air pressure will show the chalk evenly worn across the tire. If your tire is over-inflated, the center of the line will be worn more than the edges. If you're tire is underinflated, the outer edges of the line will be worn more than the center.
    3. Adjust your tire's air pressure according to the chalk test results and try again until you get the chalk line to evenly wear across the tire.

Over-Inflated = More wear on the center of the tire = center of chalk line visible on ground = chalk line worn more in center

Under-Inflated = More wear on the outer edges of the tire = outer edges of chalk line visible on ground = chalk line worn more on outer edges

2. Apr 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    Fundra3649

Fundra3649 New Member

Member:
    I use foot powder in the spray can.

JDM FTW and equin like this.
  3. Sep 2, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    GreggyCl

GreggyCl New Member

Member:
    Awesome. I gotta try this. Now to find some chalk.

4. Sep 2, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    RitcheyRch

RitcheyRch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lowered & Supercharged Crewmax
    TRD Lowered and Supercharged
    I've used that as well.

5. Sep 2, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    LastCanadianExit

LastCanadianExit The dude abides...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum
    ReadyLift 8" Lift Fuel Trophy Wheels Yokohama 37s
    Will this catch alignment issues as well?

6. Sep 25, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    cc1999

cc1999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Land Cruiser Silver/Black
    This should be a big help for those who upgrade their tires to 10 ply load range E tires. There is no way a 1/2 ton should run the side wall pressure shown on those tires, yet the door labeled 30/33 PSI is likely not enough for a 10 ply tire.

I am curious what the results were for those who have tried this sort of test.

I have my 10 ply tires aired to 40 PSI on my Tundra. Which was or I should say is still merely a guess as to what I should run in them.

7. Sep 25, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    swamper

swamper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Southern nj
    Vehicle:
    2011 sr5 trd
    I will try the chaulk good post.

8. Aug 13, 2020 at 9:36 AM
    StoneyWV

StoneyWV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport
    Rough Country Level,
    Falken recommended 40 front and 42 rear for my Rubitrek 275/70/18 tires on the tundra. I plan on doing this chalk test soon now that I finally got the new tires and the steering shake is gone.
    I'm curious as well if the calculation method matches the chalk test and those match the heat +4psi method.

Products Discussed in

To Top