1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips on towing over 6000lbs with my 1st gen?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by shaw0531, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Jun 21, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    shaw0531

shaw0531 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2006 Spectra Blue Mica Tundra SR5 2WD DC
    Going camping in middle of July and my parents are wanting me to pull a 31' Sportsmen that weighs #5785 dry. I'm estimating with all my wife and I's gear plus the camper combined around 6500lbs. I have factory towing and 7 pin and all that jazz but I'm looking on inputs on what everybody else is pulling and how it handles in their first gens. I drive a semi for work so I'm no stranger to pulling but never pulled anything besides a small enclosed with the truck so I'm interested in feedback and tips and advice

2. Jun 26, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    thefatkid

thefatkid New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax
    Get a brake controller if you don't have one, Toyota recommends no more then 3500lbs without the use of aux brakes. Weight distribution hitch would help a lot with a trailer that size.

5klbs in Colorado is slow going, so I would expect to be slow.

I tow a 18' travel trailer. The base weight is right around 3500lbs (they don't include options when they list weight :A/C, microwave, larger fridge so keep that in mind). When loaded with water and all supplies it is just over 5klbs. Weight savings can be had if you don't fill up with water until you get to camp, I can't because I almost always do dispersed camping.

3. Dec 3, 2017 at 12:36 AM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    Bringing back an older post but, for you first gen people.....I would highly recommend super springs or air bags. I used super springs for years without any problems. Keep them greased and your good to go.

jnevill likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top