1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing Chain convince me otherwise.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Rebel Tundra Man, Nov 2, 2020.

1. May 2, 2021 at 5:28 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    If it was mine would only replace the failed No. 1 primary tensioner and send it, not much reason to replace anything that’s not broken/failed on a 187k 14 yo truck. But it sounds like you didn’t confirm the source before tear down, so maybe more caution is needed? And you know how much work it is to tear down lol.

2. May 2, 2021 at 9:15 PM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra GoldRush
    Thanks, Ruggybuggy!

Ruggybuggy likes this.
  3. May 2, 2021 at 9:18 PM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    Vizsla...Yes, just the primary. And a new water pump, belt, o-rings, gaskets, etc. Thanks!

4. May 3, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    What is the cost of the other tensioners? No way I am spending that much time taking the front off and not replacing all the parts if reasonably priced.

5. May 3, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Rebel Tundra Man [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    4" RCX Lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler's, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler's, Color Match Front End, LED Bulbs, RCX Tube Steps, Green LED Underglow
    My post about the finalization of mine was right at $3,000 for labor and everything, that was also using all Toyota parts. so I would say labor was anywhere between $700-$1000. so roughly $1000-$1500 for parts. that was: chains, guides, tensioners, seals, oils, and anything else that was needed for that replacement. I dont have the list handy to label everything needed.

TruckyTruck likes this.
  6. May 3, 2021 at 5:52 PM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    I just priced the parts for all the o-rings, gaskets, seals, a new water pump, etc. Here is the list.

2007 Tundra Parts 5.7L
    1 EACH - FIPG
    1 EACH - 13540-0S020 TENSIONER
    1 EACH - 11213-0S010 CYLINDER GASKET
    1 EACH - 11214-0S010 CYLINDER GASKET
    8 EACH - 11193-70010 SPARK PLUG GASKETS
    1 EACH - 90311-A0005 TYPE T OIL SEAL
    2 EACH - 16341-38030 WATER OUTLET GASKET
    1 EACH - 90301-A0032 ORING
    1 EACH - 15193-0S010 OIL PUMP GASKET
    4 EACH - 11159-0P010 CAMSHAFT GASKET
    4 EACH - 11159-0S010 CAMSHAFT GASKET
    2 EACH - 96721-24025 ORING
    1 EACH - 90301-A0033 ORING
    4 EACH - 90430-A0001 GASKET
    1 EACH - 1610009491 WATER PUMP

It came to right around $500 in parts. All OEM from the local Toyota Dealer. According to Toyota, the chains and tensioners are life-time parts and not necessary to replace unless they fail, like the primary No. 1 left side (driver's) tensioner did on mine. It was a lot of work to get this far into it, but I don't see the need to replace anything that ain't broke, and the rest of my engine looks pretty good. My suspicion is that from all the forums and YouTube posts that cover this, for some reason, that tensioner is the one that fails. That tensioner of mine, and the inside of the front engine cover on the driver's side is discolored as though it is a hot spot. My engine has never overheated or even run hot. But is seems that when the conditions are just right, the No. 1 tensioner gets starved for oil (usually when cold until the oil thins out and pressure is sufficient and then it works. And for a Toyota to have a part that might fail, considering the, perhaps, millions of 5.7l motors world wide, that's a pretty good engine. My chains and guides and the other tensioners all look great. Once I get the parts tomorrow and get it reassembled and started up, I'll repost with the outcome. For sure I'll be a bit miffed if that wasn't the issue. But I'm pretty confident...(knock on wood).

Here's a pic of the tensioner that is bad. Notice the darker color on the tensioner and the chain guide. The rest of the inside cover and the other guides and tensioners look new. Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 5.50.18 PM.jpg

TruckyTruck, scpete24 and Rocko9999 like this.
  7. May 3, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Are you sure it's not a VVTI noise. The Toyota 2.5l has a rattle after you change the oil until the oil gets up to the VVTI.

https://youtu.be/gwJ5BBHb9W4

8. May 3, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    I replaced all four. Everything was close to $400. You should measure the chains, no good reason not to, but I didn’t. Felpro valve cover gasket kit includes vvti gaskets, the figure 8 gaskets, and tube seals... but not flat washer o rings.

Also, I used permatex ultra gray Fipg it is the only one that meets Toyota spec and doesn’t dry in five minutes for the non pro mechanic (permatex optimum does not list the spec but is likely the same).

Also, as you rotate the crankshaft the slack in chain will move around, as I learned.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Ruggybuggy likes this.
  9. May 3, 2021 at 7:17 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    You should be good to go and you should be pretty confident that it shouldn't make a noise. Do you think the noise was VVTI or tensioner?

10. May 4, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Dalandshark and Ruggybuggy. Good info. Picking up parts this morning...more later. If my makes noise after I reassemble it, then we'll know it wasn't the tensioner and possibly the VVT. Though I haven't seen any reference to the VVT being a problem on the 5.7l. Maybe I just didn't search for that?

11. May 5, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Rebel Tundra Man [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    4" RCX Lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler's, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler's, Color Match Front End, LED Bulbs, RCX Tube Steps, Green LED Underglow
    Mine has since to make the rattling and clanging noises since I had mine repaired.

Hamster14 likes this.
  12. May 5, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
  13. Sep 18, 2023 at 1:01 PM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    I replaced the driver side crank to camshaft timing chain tensioner. I measured the stretch in all my chains and they were well within specs. Toyota says they are lifetime, so no need to replace all four chains and all four tensioners. I replaced the water pump and radiator, timing belts, and did a basic tuneup (spark plugs, oil, filters, etc. Buttoned it all up and it fired right up with no noise. Now, 3 1/2 year later, and now with 240,000 miles, it still runs like new. I've pulled a 25' Airstream from Spokane, WA to the east coast 6 times since then, and this beast just keeps on trucking. Just routine maintenance and oil changes. I get 11-12 miles per gallon on average. I did have the driver side front catalytic converter break up and rattle around. Sounds like a broken ceramic coffee mug inside an old metal coffee can. My Toyota certified mechanic works from home and he cut out and welded in a new aftermarket cat. It runs fine and the check engine light went out. I added the Decked Drawer system and my own aluminum internal canopy bracing, as well as some airbags. Everything I need to go solo camping/fishing.

So, in the end, an $80 tensioner, and misc. other parts and two weeks of labor saved me thousands of dollars vs. having Toyota or another mechanic do the job. I love my Tundra! Since they have been know to go 1 million miles, this should be the last truck I ever need to own. IMG_4687.jpgIMG_4937.jpg

TruckyTruck, AZBoatHauler and Vizsla like this.
  14. Sep 20, 2023 at 10:15 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Nice! I need to replace the tensioner in the drivers side. It is quite after an oil change for a while, but goes to clacking after a while. I don’t think it’s doing any damage since it’s just gets drove around town. But it’s a little embarrassing. I plan on doing the same thing you’ve done.

15. Sep 20, 2023 at 10:21 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Did you teach the dog to climb that ladder? :D
    I love that airstream

16. Sep 20, 2023 at 10:40 AM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    The hardest part about that was breaking the crank pulley bolt loose. I used the old serpentine belt. I put it on the pulley, then tucked it into itself, then looped the whole thing over to the driver's side wheel well. I put a ratchet strap on it and cinched it to the frame. That held the pulley tight so I could loosen it. It is torqued to about a thousand pounds (not really, 221ft lbs I think), but it is really tight and you don't want the crank to turn, either. Then, to hold the crank from turning while tightening it, I used the same method to hold the pulley.

Also, make sure you label all the sensor plugs. If you accidentally plug in them into the wrong sensor, you'll get timing issue codes.

I suggest replacing the water pump, pulley tensioner, and of course a new belt.

And for peace of mind, measure the distance between 15 pins on the chain at three different locales around the chain and ensure the chain is within limits. I forget, but so many millimeters between the pins is good or bad.

Also, there are like 28 bolts in the chain cover, so I cut out a piece of cardboard box the shape of the cover, and put holes in it to put all the bolts in it like a mirror of the chain cover. It is a template so you know which bolts go where. Different sizes and lengths, so you want to remember where they go.

Let us know when you're going to do it if you have any issues or questions. It is quite involved, not difficult, just a lot to remove and replace, so it does take some time. Be patient, use the right tools, and good luck. In my post, I go into quite a lot of detail.
    I checked the timing about a dozen times to ensure it was correct before I buttoned it up. I never removed the chains from the crank or cam shaft sprockets, so I was 99% sure I hadn't messed it up, but since it is so involved, I wanted to be 100% sure.

Here are a couple of good videos about timing chains on Toyotas and common Tundra problems. Sometimes the noise you hear could be the lifters. The second video explains how to properly let the lifters warm up and get oil in them after it's been cold or sitting for a few days and is making noise. The oil bleeds out of the lifters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUfLh0uYXI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2OAHImTgA8

Good luck!

TruckyTruck likes this.
  17. Sep 20, 2023 at 10:54 AM
    sixweeds

sixweeds New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    No. I piggy backed him up there. We're working on it though. And yes, the Airstream and my gold Tundra draw stares, thumbs up, praise, and questions wherever we go. The Tundra and Airstream are a great combo with the airbags, Decked Drawers, and the RoofNest tent (the grandkids call it the attic).

TruckyTruck likes this.
  18. Sep 20, 2023 at 11:49 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Nice! I’ve seen camp grounds where you can only stay if you own an airstream.

19. Sep 20, 2023 at 11:50 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Thanks, I appreciate that

20. Sep 20, 2023 at 5:56 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    No need to measure the timing chain. Toyota has designed the chain so that when the timing paint marks are no longer visible then the chain needs to be replaced.

BUGEATER likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top