1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle response

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by BMDTundra, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Dec 6, 2022 at 2:44 AM
    BMDTundra

BMDTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited 4x4
    I can’t be the only one who’s noticed the horrible throttle response. This issue will get to the point where it was be 2 seconds of lag. I saw trdjon advertise a product from ShiftPowerUsa that is a throttle response enhancer. This “enhancer” can lock out your throttle for anti-theft and have a range of different modes. Has anyone had any success with this product or a similar product for throttle response issues? If so does a product like this void any warranty’s

2. Dec 6, 2022 at 3:44 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Sounds like a pedal commander. There are mixed opinions on the PC and I’m not sure if it’s available for 22+ yet. If it is, I’ve been using one for years with no issue. You can set throttle response and it just plugs in to your pedal so it’s easily removable with no tools in about a minute in case you take your truck in for warranty service.

3. Dec 6, 2022 at 6:58 AM
    taschmidt86

taschmidt86 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra 1794 W/ TRD Package
    None
    I recommend the Pedal Commander. And yes they have a model for the 22+ model now. I run my on City +0. There is almost zero pedal lag now. I also have a JB4 piggy back tuner running map1 and it brings the truck to life like it should have been from the factory.

And no piggy back tuners and pedal commanders DO NOT void warranty. I already confirmed this with my dealer and with Toyota corp. If you are that worried just disconnect it before service and then reconnect after.

RickyBobbysTundra likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2022 at 7:33 AM
    tbrady

tbrady New Member

Member:
    Southern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2022 DC LTD Army Green
    Leer Canopy, TRD Steps
    I haven’t seen any lag in throttle response except maybe in the first 30 seconds after starting on a cold morning. By the time I get to the end of the driveway, I have to be careful with the throttle or I will spin a little on the gravel turning onto the road. I wonder if the problem people are reporting on throttle lag is in the linkage between the peddle and throttle position sensor that translates the driver’s throttle demand to an engine response. In other words it’s a mechanical and not a software issue.

5. Dec 6, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    korslite

korslite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD OR 6.5' Bed
  6. Dec 7, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    Fxclm5

Fxclm5 New Member

Member:
    this is a twin turbo setup, supposedly to always help with boost and reduce turbo lag, but you can still catch the motor rpm/transmission loads and torque converter at a very awkward timing, where you get to experience some throttle lag.

I read through some posts in your thread, alot of ppl said they had it happen once or twice and cant replicate it, to others that can replicate it at a specific turn or onramp etc.

This literally sounds like design of a twin turbo v6 engine mated to a 10 spd automatic with a trq converter, just twin turbos = throttle/turbo lag, Toyota has done a good job to reduce it everywhere in those 98.99% of scenarios, maybe a new ecu or tranny logic reflash could help reduce it from reoccuring in those scenarios even further?

I dont have any lag at all except when its cold, which is normal, now my ecodiesel ram - that had some crazy lag, mated to the lazy transmission tune they had from oem fml that was a nightmare (the tranny would not give full power if the steering wheel had x degrees in play)

BMDTundra[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 7, 2022 at 7:18 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    My truck sometimes does have a second delay or so... I found the throttle respond more consistently and more linear in Eco mode, I just have to press gas pedal a little bit more from the stop to avoid lag, it accelerates nice and smooth.

I wouldn't call my issue a "turbo lag" - turbos are there and seem to kick in just fine.

The 1-2 second that my truck sometimes has is more like a throttle delay... As others mentioned, maybe this delay is caused by transmission that's deciding if it should be in 1st or 2nd gear when moving through the stop sign...

I'm sure that ecm or transmission update from the dealer will resolve this in the next year or so...

It's not terrible by any means... Just a slight 1 second throttle delay which I notice once or twice a day.

8. Dec 7, 2022 at 7:47 PM
    DeafJam

DeafJam New Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tundra Hybrid, 1794 edition
    Cosmetics for for a pavement princess.
    I really hate being that guy, but for the JB4, did you get that in writing from corporate? I don’t want someone to take that as gospel and have an issue they can’t afford. I’ve seen that story too many times, and sometimes it is awfully sad when the bills come due.

As a former Supra owner who frequented several forums, Toyota was denying recalls for brakes for some who had JB4s and downpipes. Anything more than a CAI had a chance to be denied if it was caught on cursory inspection and your dealer was by the book. My dealer basically said they would look the other way until they couldn’t. A blown engine cost way more than a warranty recall for minor brake work. That would be when you need the warranty and the dealer won’t have a say.

On major claims, they will pull data as corporate will force it. That data will show that a+b do not equal c. When that happens, they will deny the claim as they will know you have installed a piggyback at some point.

JB4’s can be detected indirectly. Go on BMW forums where they are rampant. If you’re smart, minor maintenance will miss them. If not, they’ll be caught and you’ll be flagged (sometimes silently). Hell, some people only found out when they brought their lease back or went for a trade-in. Please know that on a major issue, they will look. Toyota “caught” people from Facebook post and GPS data for track usage on the Supra. Hell, they even gave a NASA membership with the bloody car and some people had issues to fight due to “track use” at one point or another. I haven’t had the car for a year, so maybe they loosened up, but when does corporate ever make things easier for the little guy?

I am not saying you’re wrong, I trust that what you were told was what you were told. You have no reason to lie. So please do not take it this way. I am saying that I wouldn’t trust a word of it unless it was in writing from an officer of Toyota based on what I’ve seen with the Supra and 86’s.

9. Dec 8, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    sirlinus

sirlinus New Member

Member:
    Wow, I was thinking about a JB4 until I read your post. Anyone else have experience with warranty and a JB4 on a Tundra?

MateoAirborne likes this.
  10. Dec 9, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    taschmidt86

taschmidt86 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra 1794 W/ TRD Package
    None
    I do if you read my post. IMO People really don't need to be that concerned about it. Unless you are going to try and tune the ever living piss out of it then what the concern. The maps they have are safe. If anything is going to fail its going to fail because this truck is a rolling heap of junk and you are just bringing the deficiencies to light sooner than later.

11. Dec 9, 2022 at 6:14 PM
    ArmygreenTRD

ArmygreenTRD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army Green TRD, SR5 DC
    To the OP. I would not be surprised that the connected services to include Drive Pulse are talking to the mothership at Toyota and probably recording a lot of data. It is surprising to me that people don’t believe a manufacturer has a vested interest in what you do to and with your vehicle, especially during the warranty period. Go into the Toyota app and read about Drive Pulse. They give you the option to Opt In. Yeah, I’m sure they are not recording your data without your express permission. Facebook and Twitter also don’t use your info without permission.:monocle:
    I would be extremely cautious to modify your trucks behavior. I’m guessing Toyota has more resources (money/lawyers) than most of us to defend not paying expensive claims. End the end, it’s your truck and money.

12. Dec 21, 2022 at 4:35 AM
    BMDTundra

BMDTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited 4x4
    A lot of people have the assumption that unmarrying a tuner will wipe any evidence of such previous modifications. There are variables stored in the ECM, TCM, etc. that will stick out from any stock values that dealers or any body else can easily pin point if they know how to read them/find them.

I use to work for duramax/GM and big factor that would bust a lot of people were torque values stored in the TCM when a tuner was married. These high limit values would stick with the TCM for the life span and any external modifications to them would throw a separate mod "flag". Most dealers look the other way or dont bother checking, but the fact of the matter is that the evidence is still there and unmarrying a tuner doesn't clean your hands from it.

13. Dec 21, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    WildBillThe2nd

WildBillThe2nd New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra, SR5, TRD-OR, Advanced Tech
    Exactly this. Go ahead and use a JB4. I have one for another vehicle, they are great. I just use map 2 nothing off the wall. You will typically be fine but by doing this you are modifying the vehicle and taking a risk. If something major in the engine or driveline breaks the TCU will tattle on you even with the JB4 removed. It records the max torque it is receiving. If it is well beyond factory spec they will know that something was afoot.

Products Discussed in

To Top