1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OFFICIAL: MY22+ Toyota Tundra - Throttle Lag/Hesitation From Stop Issue(s) - T-SB-0111-22

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by southdunes, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Aug 27, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    MJPlat

MJPlat New Member

Member:
    Mine must be mean cause it screams at me thru beeps and flashing red messages

TundraLtdCO[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 27, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    TakiEvo

TakiEvo New Member

Member:
    Allentown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD Sport Crewmax White
    There's another thread about it here: Throttle lag/surge

Not so much as a turbo lag, but more of a throttle response delay. Turbo lag will have the truck still move under engine power but turbo power kicks in later.

This issue is more like you press the throttle and nothing happens for few sec. Truck stays still at a stop, a lag and then takes off.

I noticed it happen on my truck mostly when rolling up to a stop and then stop for a sec and throttle right after coming off brakes, the throttle response is horrible. Almost as if computer trying to down shift first and then take off. Don't have this issue if I do a California stop.

If you're talking about 22TC08. The ECU recall was to fix a stalling issue, engine shutting off.

FI460 and southdunes[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 27, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    texmln

texmln New Member

Member:
    It's NOT a defect. It's a feature. This is how gas turbo engines perform. The "fix" is to have a normally aspirated engine.

4. Aug 27, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    toyotatrd_offroad

toyotatrd_offroad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Grey
    Westcott Design Lift Vision Bronze Wheels 35" Mud Terrains
    I’ve owned many gas turbo motors. It’s absolutely not normal. Turbo lag is different if that’s what your referring to. Not sure where/ why you may think it’s normal.

5. Aug 27, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    TheLordwoulddriveaTundra

TheLordwoulddriveaTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4WD, Mag Grey
    Talons Cat Plate Tuff Skinz Inserts RetraxOne XR Bed Cover Premium Shield PPF Revivify Coating OEM Console Safe WeatherTech Mats
    I was told by Toyota this recall also fixes the throttle lag, but that wasn't the reason for the recall.

6. Aug 27, 2022 at 12:48 PM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
    I think the Lag is a huge PIA and will continue to bring it up with the dealer and insist its written that way on the maintenance records.

IMO, think the turbo lag is a result of several factors all related to tuning. Note when you don't come to complete stop, the transmission does not down shift to 1st but rather you roll out in 2nd gear. To me, think this is part of the issue. The programing is set to soften transmission transition. Factor in cold starts with throttle response setting on ECO or Normal that adjust throttle response/shift points to a much longer linear power band and shift curve. The Lag is pretty bad.

It would be interesting to see what an aftermarket tune does with this. Think Toyota has it set right where they want it for safety, warranty, longevity and liability. Those are what drives most design decisions.

7. Aug 27, 2022 at 12:57 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Different turbo experiences I guess.

8. Aug 27, 2022 at 1:19 PM
    toyotatrd_offroad

toyotatrd_offroad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Grey
    Westcott Design Lift Vision Bronze Wheels 35" Mud Terrains
    Yes, but the motor without turbo pressure will still have power prior to turbos engaging pressure from a vacuum “naturally aspirated type power” the engine doesn’t respond for about 1-2 seconds after pressing the accelerator as in no fuel pumping into the motor. Turbo lag is what happens while your waiting for the turbo to spool, that timing can be very short or long depending on tuning and turbo size. Typically turbo spool to target PSI happens after a certain RPM. This issue I’m referring to happens cold and warm not consistently however. It’s a issue within the tune of the truck.

FI460 and Hadelson like this.
  9. Aug 27, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    Salsa8314

Salsa8314 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    I had the recall done 2 weeks ago w/ my 5000k service. That’s when the told me it’s common for that vehicle. I don’t buy it.
    P.s. they called it turbo lag not throttle lag.
    Jim

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  10. Aug 28, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    Snipdingle

Snipdingle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 CM limited 6.5 Army Green 2007 FJ Cruiser, mods. 1986 Toyota pickup, lockers etc. Subarus and a DR650 for forest roads
    Just had software update. Did not fix the throttle DELAY. It’s not turbo lag. Dealership told me to drive it in sport mode. Doesn’t really bother me other than trying to take a left turn into busy traffic. Sport helps in my case. strangely after the software update I noticed my mirrors pointing downward when backing up, it shows the curb by changing the angle of the mirror. It’s possible that it has always done this and I have only been using the backup camera and just noticed it. Not totally sure!

southdunes[OP] likes this.
  11. Aug 29, 2022 at 7:23 AM
    southdunes

southdunes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited CrewMax
    Wholeheartedly agree, this is not turbo lag. It's a delay in the throttle response.

WildBillThe2nd and FI460 like this.
  12. Aug 30, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    Booyashakalaka!

Booyashakalaka! New Member

Member:
    I thought maybe it was transmission related, so I played around with the manual shifting. Really didn't help at all. I'm finding that mine seems worse after getting it back from the recall fixes and sport mode no longer helps much at all.

I doubt it would help, but has anyone tried running higher octane fuel?

13. Aug 30, 2022 at 1:35 PM
    porterbc

porterbc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD OFF-ROAD
    Only run 91 octane…can’t buy anything higher here, but never had this issue ever… octane only really changes timing sensitivity for detonation… the more compression you can build before ignition the better.. but cheap gas and emissions ruined that life.. leaded fuel was the answer. 12.5:1 compression and big horsepower from smaller motors gave decent fuel economy and clean burn.. but government got involved and force feed corn fuel down our throats so we can hear the spark knock/ detonation rattle while we climb a big hill until it kicks back a gear and rpm’s jump… as well as steal about 80-100 km of range from a tank of gas and charge us more for it…

Jthawks likes this.
  14. Aug 30, 2022 at 2:07 PM
    gr8fasushi

gr8fasushi 22 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road

Member:
    this is a feature if you have your mirror selection to either left or right, the mirrors will aim downwards when in reverse. If the stick is in the middle, it won't point downward when reversing. You can adjust the downward angle also when in Reverse.

Snipdingle[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Sep 1, 2022 at 9:38 AM
    Snipdingle

Snipdingle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 CM limited 6.5 Army Green 2007 FJ Cruiser, mods. 1986 Toyota pickup, lockers etc. Subarus and a DR650 for forest roads
    Thank you for for that info! When I got it back from the dealership the toggle was not in the middle where I always keep it. For a minute I thought it was part of the trailer setting because I was backing up my camper and it was doing it which was not helpful. This truck has a lot of cool tech upgrades over my previous 2021 tundra.

gr8fasushi[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 1, 2022 at 10:18 AM
    Carolina Peej

Carolina Peej Hey can you hold the light for me real quick?

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2022 Midnight Black Metallic 4x4 Tundra Platinum 5.5 w/ load leveling + AVS, HUD, and Power Running Boards
    My last 4 daily drivers have been turbo DI engines, with full electronic throttle and transmission controls.

I have other older naturally aspirated gas engines, all fuel injected, some DI, some push rod, some overhead cam.

It took me a while to learn how to drive a modern turbo DI fully electronically controlled engine. None of my 4 recent dailys have responded well to a sudden full throttle input. Neither from a complete stop, low speed rolling, or high speed passing. They just don't like it when you suddenly "mat" the pedal. I have found much much better response with a quick 30 - 50% increase in the pedal, then steadily roll on throttle to get to get what you need.

I think it has something to do with preserving the transmission, and allowing the engine to shift prior to dumping all the torque on the drivetrain. Just my thoughts...

The key to being smooth in this acceleration technique is that initial 30% - 50% increase, which will determine which gear the transmission selects if you are already at speed. If you don't kick it hard enough, you will get a second down shift as you continue to press the pedal.

Same process from a dead stop at a red light, I give her around 50% throttle, then just roll on the rest to get to WOT over about 2 seconds. Acceleration is very noticeably faster than a clumsy 100% WOT mat when the light turns green.

Black widow TRD and 22whatwedo like this.
  17. Sep 1, 2022 at 2:10 PM
    korslite

korslite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD OR 6.5' Bed
    It is clear from this response that you are not experiencing the subject issue.

18. Sep 1, 2022 at 2:23 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    No its not. Especially a GTDI.

19. Sep 1, 2022 at 2:28 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    This is usually a result of the torque based tuning. The turbos on the GTDI's are usually small and spool insanely fast. If you mat it and the PCM tries to quickly get the turbos spooled they usually will overshoot the target boost and so the PCM has to go on the defensive in the sense. It will close up the throttle plate and open the wastegates to control the spike so the you don't get a massive surge of torque.

Some of the people that were tuning ecoboosts didnt know how to control this and they would get the massive surges of torque at like 2000 rpm's and the engine would go lean because the high pressure fuel pump couldnt keep up. I am talking like 600+ wheel torque at 2000 rpm.

My 3.5L Ecoboost was making 500+ ft-lbs at 1800 rpm when tuned, and was doing it at 6500'. It had no problem with turbo spool.

Its not like older turbo cars where the turbos took while to come online and did it a bit more predictably.

Carolina Peej[QUOTED] and FI460 like this.
  20. Sep 2, 2022 at 12:42 PM
    Carolina Peej

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2022 Midnight Black Metallic 4x4 Tundra Platinum 5.5 w/ load leveling + AVS, HUD, and Power Running Boards
    Yep. Totally understand. It sounds like I am not experiencing the same issues the OP posted about, but I maintain that you have to learn how to use your right foot intelligently to get maximum performance out of these engines.

Black widow TRD likes this.
  21. Sep 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM
    Carolina Peej

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    You're right, but the subsequent discussion did devolve around turbo lag and spooling. Just trying to contribute some useful info to the forum. I think you gotta drive these GTDI engines differently than previous motors.

korslite[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Sep 2, 2022 at 1:09 PM
    ATXtoyota

ATXtoyota New Member

Member:
    CENTEX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    torque management…

Carolina Peej[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Sep 6, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    Carolina Peej

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Dang y'all need to go to the 3rd Gen Tuner thread. The JB4 sounds like the heat! Start on page 01 and just keep reading!!!

3rd Gen Tuner

TJD1776 likes this.
  24. Sep 9, 2022 at 9:54 AM
    TJD1776

TJD1776 New Member

Member:
    Just read all those posts after seeing you mention it here... Great read all the way through! I wish Toyota would address the throttle lag directly, but those devices look to be the fix for me. I think I'm going to buy...

Carolina Peej[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Sep 10, 2022 at 8:11 AM
    Carolina Peej

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, there’s some debate over the pedal commander to fix the throttle lag or the JB4 to increase boost.
    Seems to me the PC is less invasive but maybe not as big of a difference.

26. Sep 10, 2022 at 9:54 PM
    bballjames

bballjames New Member

Member:
    Inland PNW
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Hybrid Crew Max 6.5ft bed
    Just got a hybrid a little over a week ago. During my week of driving so far I had not experienced anything like what was being described here. So today I came to a complete stop, and the mashed the gas pedal to the floor. I then immediately understood what everyone is talking about. Mine was a very short maybe two second delay. It’s like the electric motor starts moving first and then the gas engine kicks in. Under normal driving conditions I haven’t noticed this one bit. Seems like if you ease on to the throttle it isn’t an issue. At least that has been my experience. I will say have been babying the throttle big time as I only have 200 miles on my truck so far. And yes, this is completely different than turbo lag.

27. Sep 13, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    TJD1776

TJD1776 New Member

Member:
    Got my PC55 today and just came back from a drive. Although it does change the acceleration a little, or a lot, depending on setting, it does not fix what I think to be the issue. There is still a significant delay is responsiveness. I've gotten so much better at handling it, and maybe that's the fix, maybe Toyota never truly address it? Don't know... However, the Pedal Commander, to me, is not worth the $300 so I will be returning....

I am interested in the JB4, but $700 is probably not what I want to spend at the moment.

My wife's Rav seems to have a throttle lag, maybe just a toyota thing. Regardless, annoying and unsafe as times for the Tundra for sure.

28. Sep 13, 2022 at 9:52 PM
    Booyashakalaka!

Booyashakalaka! New Member

Member:
    I've gotten a bit fed up with trying to adapt to the short comings of this trucks performance. For me the lurch after the lag is the most annoying thing. Averaging 15mpg is a separate issue. Probably go look at some other trucks this weekend that don't do unexpected shit when I drive them. I've run it down to empty and will fill it with premium in a last ditch effort to make it drive reasonably.

southdunes[OP] likes this.
  29. Sep 15, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    Versus78

Versus78 New Member

Member:
    Me too

30. Sep 16, 2022 at 4:43 PM
    SCbuckeye12

SCbuckeye12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited
    Strange this issue doesn't have any videos associated with it. It's tough to dispute video evidence and will certainly get some attention.

Products Discussed in

To Top