1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle body coolant bypass

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Tundracollector, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Oct 23, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    Tundracollector

Tundracollector [OP] New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 Dc trd pro, 04 Dc, 08 rcsb
    So I have heard of this mod and since I have spent a lot of time in my engine bay the passed couple weeks I have noticed that the throttle body gets very hot because of the coolant going thru it.

Now before I go bypassing the throttle body, what is the purpose of coolant going to the throttle body anyway? I want to know before I go reversing something that a Toyota engineer deemed necessary.

Also, any of you that have done this mod, have you seen any real world gains from it? Did your intake temps drop if you had the capability to measure it?

lines are very easy to get to if I decide to do it.

2FBA4BDE-6144-4C99-BD81-284137CE8B01.jpg

2. Oct 23, 2019 at 7:04 PM
    68vert

68vert New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Rock Warrior
    the coolant running through the TB brings the engine temperature up to normal operating faster during initial start up

3. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I see, hmmm, I don’t know how effective that is, makes the bypass more appealing to me since it’s hot here most of the year in Texas and I started letting the truck warm up more on cold starts since supercharging it.

5N0W808 and Rica25 like this.
  4. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:09 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    I’m in Houston. And the Astros are pissing me off.....

I did the throttle body coolant bypass. I read a lot about it before hand and there were mixed reviews. But here’s the deal, it took 10 minutes and cost $0.00. Did it make a difference? Who knows, not that I can tell. But it didn’t hurt anything, and in theory it helped. I’d def do it again

5. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    I also did the stock air box mod, the air box charcoal filter delete, and the throttle body metal screen delete. Not sure if air box mod did anything either but it was well worth the $20 it cost just because of the badass sound the engine/intake makes now. I’d do it again. There’s a few post around by @dirtydeeds that list the main things he recommends for performance. He knows his stuff. Try and find them

6. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I know the feeling...

FWD Tundra, kittyhawk and Rica25 like this.
  7. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    I’m done. Going to bed lol

Rica25 likes this.
  8. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I have seen dirtydeeds recommend it...........

Rica25 likes this.
  9. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Lol

Rica25 likes this.
  10. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    I spoke to him in the phone a few weeks ago and he still recommends it. Basically said you can’t go wrong and it’s free.

11. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Looks like I’m doing it tomorrow morning then lol

tundra_20, roy2015 and Rica25 like this.
  12. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    Was told this not recommend if where you live gets real cold

13. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that’s not a problem here, we’re lucky if we actually get a real winter lol

stuckinohio and Rica25[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Dude! They’re getting handled right now!

15. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    Same here that's why I did mine as well

16. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:46 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Search SAMB, you can make your own or someone makes a kit where are you drill a hole in your fender and airbox and add another inlet. The charcoal filter delete is just that little filter inside your air box that’s glued in. I did it but I don’t think it was necessary or did anything. It’s just there to catch gases when your truck is turned off. The metal screen is behind your throttlebody and you can put a different gasket that eliminates it or trim it out. But I don’t think it does anything either. Most people remove it because it makes a whistle when you install a TRD intake.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Rica25 and roy2015 like this.
  17. Oct 23, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    ill explain the easy ones lol, charcoal filter is a thin screen after your air filter, it’s held in there with plastic tabs that you break off to remove it, the throttle body metal screen is right after the throttle body, it’s not restrictive at all but does make a whistle sound when you mod the air box.

Rica25, roy2015 and 15whtrd like this.
  18. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:08 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Has anybody who has done this bothered to check temp of your throttle body before and after at operating temperature?

I would compare the throttle body temp to the temperature of the intake manifold right on top of the motor as well. That supercharger is probably hotter than the throttle body as is, and theres nothing to be done about that.

14burrito and Rica25 like this.
  19. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    you have two lines of coolant going in and out the throttle body, you can take the line going to the throttle body and connect it to where the line that’s coming from the throttle body connects to, bypassing the throttle body.

15whtrd and Rica25 like this.
  20. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    yeah I wish someone would actually have tested the temps.

What I do have for you is some bro science lol yes the supercharger does get hot but after running it I can still touch the inlet with my bare hands, I can’t However touch the throttle body, especially around where the hoses connect.

tundra_20, 15whtrd and Rica25 like this.
  21. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:31 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    Good even'n gents!
    I've done all these items...save the SABM...I've got the S&B which has a larger inlet. But I digress.

Here's my 2 cents on the TB bypass and screen cut....

The TB bypass is worth it...Especially if you're trying to have 'cold' air come into the intake.
    As was mentioned, Toyota's design purpose was apparently to keep the TB warm such that there wouldn't be any chance of the TB sticking in cold temps. That said, after everything's up to temp and the hot-ass coolant in running through the TB, it's blazing hot.
    If you're interested in 'cold' air, think about it like this...A hair dryer can take cool air and run it across thinner metal parts much faster than the air coming through our TB's, and how hot does a hair dryer get? So just figure how hot the air is that's normally coming into the intake/engine.

As has been noted, if you're in the far north, I might not do it...or do it for the warmer months, then back to stock during the winter. Takes no time to do the bypass.

Also, re the screen;
    I would not recommend just breaking the screen. The outer part serves as a bit of a gasket. It's all metal, with a rubber coating on the ring. The metal is tough and is best cut with some snips.
    I took mine out, cut the metal screen out, then dremeled the remnants, so that the inner circle was smooth.
    **Leave the little tab that's on the outer edge. It aligns back onto the intake.

IMG_9574.jpg
    IMG_9575.jpg

If you really want to get nutty and while you have everything nearly apart...
    Take the TB off and port/polish the inner parts, knocking down the high parts.

I did this last year. I didn't take pics of the final product, but it was shiny! I used various grinding then polishing wheels on the Dremel.
    This is a pic of the before from the back side. The front side looked the same, in terms of the inner surface, the raised lip and the blade axel.
    The inner lip had a rise of about 1/32. I took it down until is was smooth with the outer edge part and my fingernail wouldn't catch when sliding over it.
    IMG_9579.jpg

This is the front after thinning, just before polishing (arrows noting the edges that were thinned, rounded)
    IMG_9580.jpg

kittyhawk, tundra_20, Vr0ck and 4 others like this.
  22. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:44 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I haven’t done the bypass yet so that’s stock (albeit when I installed the supercharger I had to rotate the throttle body 180 degrees so it’s bottoms up compared to a n/a truck) but I’ll try my best to draw it out here, red is where the line would run, blue is just the caping of the throttle body.

523F20E0-03A4-41F7-829B-ACF1CEE30C2B.jpg

23. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:56 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    A few people have done it with no repercussions from what I’ve read, also dirtydeeds says it’s a good free mod. I can’t however find actual temps on before and/or after

Rica25 likes this.
  24. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:22 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    I remember when I did it...
    After running for several minutes or a short drive the TB would be hot enough you couldn't keep your hand on it. After doing the bypass, I could do the same short drive then touch it no problem.

Do you have a laser thermometer? You could let it run for say 10-15 mins or go for a short drive, then check the TB temp.
    I can do the same, then compare the differences?
    PM me if you want.

25. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:25 PM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Im pretty sure I’m doing the bypass tomorrow lol just makes sense, plus boost weather is coming lol

Jfuggint and GAknight[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:28 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    I doubt it. The thermostat is more for the inner engine coolant.

The coolant really only runs through a small portion of the TB...which is the main housing (which holds the actuator for the blade axel) which I assume is what Toyota intended to stay warm, since it's electric and not cable driven.

Tundracollector[OP] likes this.
  27. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:29 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Indeed. My ass-dyno always seems to feel the 5 hp gain in the winter. Lol.

28. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:32 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Interesting way to look at it @GAknight

It's been decades since I have used a hair dryer but I recall seeing the nichrome wire coils turn bright orange as a kid. I don't have a hair dryer to test with my laser, but after looking it up a metal turning that color should appear above 800f. Nichrome can hit 1000f easily before melting point is reached.

The coolant passing through the throttle body is in the ballpark of 300f and constantly passing through it. I think I'm going to dig around my garage to look for my temp laser, this is getting interesting.
    :hattip:

29. Oct 23, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Yep...
    All great points there sir!
    Certainly the metal coils in the hair dryer are going to be hotter, but the air moving through the TB is not moving as fast.

Truth told, I've gotten a bit nutty with this whole thing this past year.
    I started out looking at an aftermarket intake, but they really don't make sense unless you're running a SC, which of course those kits come with a new intake anyway.
    After some research and talking w/ a buddy; I learned the 5.7 hemi's have some nice mods available for larger TBs and intakes.
    This led me to looking/finding a larger TB. Problem is getting a matching intake...I can't seem to find an aftermarket one.

That led to my latest adventures of buying another intake. Aside from possibly mod'ing the TB connection, I'm interested in the outlets and their matching to the heads. Having just finished a move to a new home a couple months ago, I've yet to dive into this project.

I will say...the inner parts of the intake on the TB side are NOT nice and smooth and even have some plastic molding protruding out, so there's definitely some air disruption going on there. My plan is to take the new one apart (they're in two parts; upper and lower) and then smooth out the inside.
    I'll also add some type of heat shielding, (DEI, etc.) on the underside or perhaps the whole thing.

I've also been working on a k-type thermocouple set to measure the air temps in the filter box, intake tube (which I might can read from the MAF with Techstream), and the intake (just after the TB and in the inlets to the head).

All this may be for nothing...but it's cheaper than a SC. Short of pulling the engine and porting/ polishing the heads, if I can get more air 'available' to the heads, there may be a few hps free for the finding....

30. Oct 24, 2019 at 6:51 AM
    Tundracollector

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I ran my first quick errand this morning, got back home, opened the hood, throttle body was already hot, supercharger not so much, so I decided then and there to do it, I just let her cool down a bit first. Thanks for the feedback fellas. This forum is the sh#t lol

163FAD71-E9E6-4550-901B-7213AFC44F62.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top