1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of selling my pro for a rebel

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by warwickscout, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 28, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    There is a reason it's less money.....

T500, PermaFrostTRD and 757TUNDRA like this.
  2. Sep 28, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less

3. Sep 28, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    @warwickscout I know you said you made a decision to keep the Tundra but heres my take. If you don't keep your vehicles longer than say 4 years I see nothing wrong with giving the dodge a chance. Toyota really shines after that time with their reliability. Thats what keeps me buying toyota. If I changed vehicles every 3 years or so I would buy anything out there that interested me since what is the worst that can happen with a warranty and trade in if need be.

I wouldn't do it but if the lower payment (what about insurance costs) and the amenities interest you I would say go for it. How bad could it be for 3-4 years.

4. Sep 28, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    Tundrazy

Tundrazy Turd Bro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '17 CM Cement PRO
    The Camry is Toyota Motor Corp. bread and butter, similar to the F-Series for Ford. The majority of their R&D budget and all the new and cool gadgets go into the vehicles they sell most of. Unfortunately for us the Tundra makes up a tiny fraction of the overall sales for Toyota Motor Corp. With that being said, I still would never own a domestic truck over my Tundra even with all their features. In ten years my Pro will be worth double what a Rebel is worth and I'll have spent all the time the Rebel would be in the shop enjoying the great outdoors in my Pro.

5. Sep 28, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    The 5.7 is a REALLY expensive chunk of hardware as well. Aluminum block with iron liners, forged crank, forged rods, VVT on intake and exhaust, 2 cams per bank...

Sunnier and PermaFrostTRD like this.
  6. Sep 28, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    Teriks

Teriks New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Front Range, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra Limited DC 4x4 5.7
    That engine came out 11 model years ago. It's not that expensive anymore. It's also the industry lowest gas mileage. People looking at JUST the engine could turn their head to Ford, and see their smaller V8 pushing a quicker truck that has better gas mileage. The Toyota 5.7 is an awesome engine, yeah, but it sure as heck isn't the best.

This revolves around Toyota's philosophy of "evolution, not revolution" and while that keeps them reliable, you're always going to see the other brands pull out better tech because they are willing to take risks. For anyone complaining "RABLE RABLE MORE COMPLEXITY IS BAD!!" how do you feel about ABS? Traction control? Airbags? Fuel Injection? Those were all new, complicated tech at one point, and now they are standard, trusted, and superior items to what they replaced. You can't argue that "simpler is better" forever. Eventually new tech is hashed out enough to be the better choice. Does that mean the Rebel or Dodge in general is the right choice? Not necessarily, but it doesn't make Toyota the do-no-wrong golden boy some people seem to think.

I'm no fan of FCA Group at all, but I'm biased in that I worked at a Chevy/Dodge/Kia dealership in the early 2000s. The dodge's were always the trucks getting transmission work done. The diesel GM's where always the ones getting leaking injectors replaced. The Kias...well, those were pure trash - terrible, terrible build quality. But that was over 15 years ago. I don't care what the product was like 15 years ago -- I care about what it's like now (if you are buying new). Kias are substantially better, GM fixed their leaky injectors (I think) and Dodge has replaced their POS transmissions of the past.

Lastly, as lots of people have mentioned, if you switch vehicles every few years and lease them, then you don't need to care about resale value or longevity (Toyota's bread and butter). You get a fancy new vehicle with all the cutting edge tech, and can swap it for the next thing when that time is up.

NC_Nole and gdiep like this.
  7. Sep 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    I'm going to throw a little more gasoline on the fire...

Some of the amenities that are being mentioned aren't really cutting edge, complicated, new technology. We're talking about auto on/off headlights, heated seats, proximity key, more gears in the transmission, etc.

These things are already available and tried/tested in their other cars (i.e. Camry - and you cannot argue that the Camry is not reliable even though it has all these things).

And cost wise, would not be much since all the parts, programming and controls are already available. Plus they can charge a little more for them as packages or stand alone options. It doesn't have to be crazy expensive because they manage to package them into much lower priced vehicles.

I want to continue to be a Tundra guy and think that Toyota has a chance to win over more truck buyers by being just a little more competitive. Tundra should not be the red-headed step child of the Toyota brand. Invest a little into it Toyota please!

Teriks likes this.
  8. Sep 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    I'm a little late to the party here and this is just my 2 cents.... do what makes you happy man! Only YOU know what YOU really want, whether or not YOU need or want a lower payment and what amenities are important to YOU! I had an '01 Dodge 4.7, sold it with 268,000 on it, ran like a dream, is creeping up on 300,000 now and just recently needed a wheel bearing. Would I buy another one? Probably not. When it's -15 here for a week straight would I like to have heated seats and a heated steering wheel? Hell yes I would! Just remember, opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one! You do you!

9. Sep 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    when out of warranty you can charge repairs on your rewards card and rack up some cash back.

10. Sep 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    this reminds me of the best piece of advice I ever got when buying a boat. Back in the 80s during the oil crisis a lot of boat manufacturers cut corners. The advice was to ask a dude that repairs boats (specifically a fiberglass repair dude) about which brands are best.

11. Sep 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    @warwickscout, which truck do you think looks better? Based on pure looks?

12. Sep 28, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    My local mechanics (very good reputation) complained that we see him only for inspection. One of them just purchased a 4Runner. The other one really wants to get a Tundra.

13. Sep 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    I know you're not asking me, but that's like comparing a diamond to a emu turd.

Law323 and joonbug[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Sep 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    Albertaundra

Albertaundra aka...IgnorantlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 crewmax TRD, '06 Taco walletbreaker
    Bone stock tundra...
    Why are we comparing camrys to tundras? Of course its cheaper to stack the options on a car. Add a frame, 4x4 drivetrain and V8 and youve got the cost of a camry. 20 grand more and you can have the rest of the truck.

15. Sep 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    I don't know what point you're trying to make, but I think you've missed my point, which is:

I love the Tundra and think it is the best option for me. However, Toyota has not invested into the Tundra as much as they should. And, since they already have amenities that they put into the ubiquitous Camry that would make the Tundra more enjoyable, then they should. Wouldn't it be great if our Tundras had heated seats, heated steering, proximity key, or any number of these other things that you can get in a Camry for relatively little money?

When I used the Camry as an example, I meant to do 2 things: 1 - show that a lot of these amenities are available in a relatively cheap vehicle so they should be relatively cheap to put in a Tundra; and 2 - show that Toyota has put these into a vehicle that is sold in large numbers and still has high marks on reliability.

Look I realize that the OP can choose to do whatever he wants to do. I'm only pointing out that Toyota can show us Tundra owners some love without harming reliability, resale or any other concerns if they do it carefully.

16. Sep 28, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    Teriks

Teriks New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Front Range, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra Limited DC 4x4 5.7
    I agree 100%. However, I can see where Toyota is coming from: The Tacoma outsells the Tundra by a massive margin, and the Tundra isn't even in the top 5 best selling vehicles for Toyota. I can understand why Toyota would focus their best stuff for their top selling models, but it'd be nice if that trickled down into models like the Tundra so their owners stop feeling shafted.

17. Sep 28, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    Lucy-Grace-591629.jpg

18. Sep 28, 2017 at 1:39 PM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    Sumamamish....page 5

19. Sep 28, 2017 at 2:32 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Only saving $100/mo? Not worth it. Just cut out a hunskie worth of extras per month and your coming out ahead. haha

4x4_Angel likes this.
  20. Sep 28, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    Hattori

Hattori STOP SHIMMING COILOVERS!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    Then we can talk:thumbsup:

ram-lt-kit-3.jpg

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  21. Sep 28, 2017 at 4:56 PM
    Quartermeter

Quartermeter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC WHITE
    FOX 2.0 REARS, OME FRONTS FIRESTONE AIR BAGS RCI SKID PLATE
    You're crazy if you do it. if you want cheaper payments sell your pro and get an SR5 or Limited. whatever just get out from under the pro your payment will go down. I've had Fords, Dodges and Chevrolets had trouble with them all never a problem with a Toyota. And you lose money on the gas burner if it's not a Toyota. Just saying.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    4x4_Angel and Bprose like this.
  22. Sep 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A G.D.M/Sofa King Cool/COTJ's dreamboat

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    :rofl: :rofl: wait which motor is that again?

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Sep 29, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    Ps3udonymous

Ps3udonymous Who is the smart ass that changed the title?

Member:
    A feature I wish the tundra had was the bed side tool boxes. I think they're an awesome idea.

24. Sep 29, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    Inferno2017

Inferno2017 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Western Burps of Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 Inferno
    I WAS a mopar man for most of my driving life - Every one I owned newer than 97 has always had some quirks that cost more than they are worth. The last one I traded in and can't say how glad I am that I did - My payment went up 100 - and I will still come out ahead in less coin for the long run as well as less headaches. Mind you I wanted to trade in for a night edition - but seeing that damn knob for the transmission on the dash just sucks! Then to pop a gear, up or down, it is SMALL button on the steering wheel - Have hit it numerous times unintentionally as well - Truck (suspension) always sounded like my old 67 (SQUEAK/CREEK/GROAN) did after less than 100 miles and zero off roading - They do look good in some schemas and they do get better mileage - but that is where the bells end and the whistles start blowing. All those 'extras' like heat - they are optional after you own it, as they optionally work when you want them too. Had my blower motor intermittently working for 5 months - had in 4 times .... Cruze Control would only work if you pressed the button so hard your fingernail turns white - then it would not cancel all the time. Etc.. Etc...

So I ask you, how many issues with your tundra?
    IF ANY - Did they get resolved?

No Matter - Choice is up to you :)

RANT OVER lol
    Good luck on your choice and I hope in the end - It is what you want and not a rolling problem.

25. Sep 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    tmart

tmart New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    I don't know how much looks factors into your decision but jeez that trd pro looks 100 times better then the rebel. I really think the tundra when color matched is the best looking pickup the last few years....combine that with the reliability and it would be a no brainer for me, sounds like saving a little bit of money is the only positive in getting the dodge

geno0506 likes this.
  26. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    warwickscout

warwickscout [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    warwick ny
    Vehicle:
    16 pro
    tint 295/70/18 terras iron cross hd steps.wheel spacers,nder seat storage,l.e.d lights cut into rear bumper,spacers,
    I have owed the PRO for 16 months..6 times at 2 different dealers. neither could fix squeaky skid plate or straighten the bumper they put on crooked after a recall.

Inferno2017[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You forgot a zero. Darn typos

zcarpenter92, 4x4_Angel and Wrongside like this.
  28. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:28 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    OP, if you really want it get it. Sounds like you made up your mind before posting anyway.

You got exactly the response you should have expected here..

My wife has all the fancy shit in her car, and while it's nice I honestly don't miss it at all when I'm not in there. If that stuff is really important to you you should get what fits your needs.

29. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    That's just shitty service guys.

4x4_Angel, 757TUNDRA and geno0506 like this.
  30. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    geno0506

geno0506 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4, S/W, B-6112/5160

That’s some pretty minor issues, get the dodge and you’ll live in the service department, good luck with that!

EE039608-AACD-4D79-9CF6-10052897178F.jpg

aperezsh, Patriot, jfrd30 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top