1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking about adding backup camera

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Robs523, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Feb 14, 2020 at 7:42 PM
    Robs523

Robs523 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2008 crewmax trd
    hi everyone, I just got a 2008 Crew Max Limited TRD. I was a little suspect about the tailgate being original because it looks like it might have been painted, but everything else was in pretty good condition and with 66k miles I wasn't going to pass it up. After I bought it, I happened to find someone nearby selling a Leer shell that they had taken of their 08 (colors matched) and while we were putting it on mine, he mentioned that it looked like maybe it wasn't an '08 tailgate. I don't know what he saw that made him think that, but it reinforced my suspicions. My questions are- since a Limited seems to have everything else, is it possible that even if the truck never had a camera, it would still be wired so I just need to get one that fits and plug it in? I assume this involves removing the tailgate handle and running some wires but otherwise seems pretty straightforward (I know, famous last words). If not, I assume I would have to buy a new mirror or get an aftermarket camera with a separate screen. As much as I'd like to have a bigger picture than what the mirror can provide, I'm not excited about having an extra monitor getting in the way on the console. Unless I get a whole new stereo with a bigger screen while I'm at it but I don't need and probably can't afford that Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I just got the truck Wednesday and have been working long days since, so I haven't had time to really get into it at all yet. Thanks!

2. Feb 14, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Yes, it most likely is already wired (there's a little plug under the tailgate behind the bumper), but it feeds up in the headliner by the overhead console. You'd then need a mirror with a backup screen and a backup camera that utilizes the factory plug/connector at the back of the truck. I recently researched this and found it to be pretty expensive if you want to utilize the OEM wiring. I ended up buying an aftermarket head unit with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and installed my own cheap backup camera I found on Amazon. I bought the head unit (Kenwood) during Black Friday for $250 and the camera cost about $16. It ended up being relatively cheap overall and I gained a ton of functionality that my stock stereo didn't have.

Robs523[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Post some pics of the tailgate and handle. I'm not sure if the 08 was prewired with a camera connector or not. Someone who knows will chime in. The handle could have been painted to color match. As for the display, the mirror display is a decent size. Does it appear to have a display in your mirror?

4. Feb 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM
    Robs523

Robs523 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2008 crewmax trd
    Thanks, that’s not as expensive as I thought it’d be, I’ll keep an eye out for good sales. Did you install it? It’s been a LONG time since I’ve done anything like that, I’m admittedly pretty technologically incompetent these days but still know how to cut and solder

5. Feb 14, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    Robs523

Robs523 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2008 crewmax trd
    Thanks Tundra234, after tomorrow I’m off for a few days and hope to get some pics while I play with the truck

6. Feb 14, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Yes, I did the install myself. Crutchfield gives pretty good instructions, and there are plenty of YouTube vids out there to help as well. It's just a bit time consuming soldering up the wiring harness (something you can pay Crutchfield to do, I believe), and it also takes a bit of time to dismantle the console, but I wouldn't say it's that difficult. I'm fairly handy but am by no means an expert!

7. Feb 16, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    HumMichael

HumMichael New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 5.7 4x4
    Stock
    Yes my 08 DC limited is prewired.
    I installed a small push down screen as they didn't have in the mirror option at the time. Really usefu to have but I have been having poor connection at the screen often extremely dark or no connection at all. I often tap the screen to wake it up but have not tried to find the culprit.

8. Feb 19, 2020 at 2:01 PM
    still in school

still in school New Member

Member:
    I may have the small monitor for sale. No longer needed

9. Feb 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    08crewmax

08crewmax New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 Pyrite Mica Crewmax Limited
    My 08 limited came with factory rear view camera, I do have the JBL

10. Feb 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    RCdadfor2

RCdadfor2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC
    none yet
    i want to add a camera and the flip down monitor, but the only color i can find is tan and i have the light gray interior. what color is yours?

Products Discussed in

To Top