1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Think I found the solution to the dim front turn signals on 18+

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by thomasbus337, May 16, 2020.

1. Aug 11, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    GCanuck

GCanuck Member since 2020

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    BC,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC MGM TRD Sport
    TRD Swaybars. Line-X bed liner. Toyota Tri-fold Tonneau. N-fab side bars. TRD cold air. AMP bed extender. Rough Country Level kit. BFG A/T K02. RCI Skids. OEM Tow mirrors. TRD exhaust
    I will let the dealer deal with it. The truck is 5 weeks old.

2. Aug 13, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    KERNEL_DALE

KERNEL_DALE New Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    19’TRD-PRO
    i tried doing it but have no patience so i opted gettin the harness from iHacker and modify it inside my house.just so hot in the garage.. here’s what i did.

D5D261C9-9AE0-4B26-8933-B7A32C1A7694.jpg

Now my NSV is working as well as the turn signal

Boyd8019[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    frostybrew4me

frostybrew4me New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Doublecab 4x4
    TRD exhaust,TRD CAI, TRD Sway Bar
    Had my 2018 Tundra done today for the fuel pump along with the front blinker light harness being re-wired, blinkers are definitely brighter.

4. Aug 29, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    jlarkin1918

jlarkin1918 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD Offroad Crewmax-Cement
    OEM Spray-In Liner TRD Pro Black Badges & center caps GoRhino RB20 running boards Lomax cover
    My recall finally showed up on the Toyota App.
    Anyone have before and after pics after the dealer does the fix? Is it noticeable or am
    I still going to want to replace with some LEDs?
    B1BFC8BB-F052-49E3-A52C-63F1820F4151.jpg

5. Aug 29, 2020 at 5:57 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    It’s noticeably brighter. It’s going from using the 8w circuit to a 22w circuit on the bulb. Even my vled turn signals were much brighter after I did the fix.

frostybrew4me likes this.
  6. Sep 3, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    JoeJob

JoeJob Drummer for Booty and the Hoe Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Silver Sky
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    This cracks me up as I also went through the "my turn signals anger me" thread and ended up replacing my bulbs with LEDs a while back. My truck is a 2018 limited, purchased in late February 2018.

I just did the rewire on the driver's side and tested it out - no real difference in brightness compared to the incorrect passenger side. I'm wondering if the LED bulbs I have work with either wire position. I'll check it out tonight once it gets dark to see if there is any difference.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  7. Sep 3, 2020 at 1:55 PM
    HTGreen

HTGreen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Halsey
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Tundra Quicksand
    The wiring doesn't determine the brightness, its the filament in the bulb that determines brightness, Dual filament bulbs have both a 8 watt, and a 24 watt draw. so switching wires jusst determines which filament is being activated.

GODZILLA likes this.
  8. Sep 3, 2020 at 2:01 PM
    JoeJob

JoeJob Drummer for Booty and the Hoe Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Silver Sky
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    Aha, that makes sense then. Thanks for the clarification.

9. Sep 21, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    FarmerDan1008

FarmerDan1008 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited TRD OR 4x4 Crewmax
    thats it? yeah ill do it myself over the weekend. lol

10. Sep 21, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    NCTundra18

NCTundra18 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Candler, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Limited Crewmax
    TRD dual exhaust, Rough Country lift kit and too much money spent.
    Had my truck in last week for an oil change and they told me about the recall. I told them i had already put leds in and if the fix messed with the leds not to do it. Well their tech evidently hadn't done one yet so they didn't do it. So i guess I'll just leave it alone and not worry about it. Heck they are still on me about getting the PCS recall done but i told them no.

11. Oct 15, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    BeauGentry4

BeauGentry4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    I received the dim blinker recall notice in the mail today from Toyota. Decided to do some searching on the issue and am glad I did! Taking my truck into the dealer is a PITA and takes much longer than it should. I was able to get this knocked out at home in about 15min.

The first side took about 13min to figure out the white locking cover and release tab. The second side only took 2min.

Thanks @thomasbus337 !

12. Oct 15, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    abomb60

abomb60 Maker of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 MGM
    Thanks to the OP for discovering and posting this. I too got the recall notice about a month ago but it's a time suck to take it to the dealer to fix something I can do at home (literally in my PJ's!) in less than 15 minutes. Used this as an excuse to pull the washer reservoir and clean up some of my messy wiring runs from my compressor install :)

thomasbus337[OP] likes this.
  13. Dec 2, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    vsantoro

vsantoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vic
    Vehicle:
    2020 Gray Tundra TRD PRO
    I had my 2020 Trd Pro recall fixed on Monday. Last night noticed my auto highbeams not working correctly, it was sporadic but there were delays turning on, delays turning off, sometimes did not turn off at all, etc... anyone else experience this after the recall fix ?
    I have an appt today to bring it back to the dealer for them to check it.

14. Dec 2, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    I can't see how the two could be related. My 2020 auto dimming lights have never worked great from day one.

15. Dec 2, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    vsantoro

vsantoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vic
    Vehicle:
    2020 Gray Tundra TRD PRO
    I agree. I dont see how they are connected either, but mine have worked perfect since I got the truck, and then 1 day after the turn signal recall fix, they are not working good at all which tells me something happened during that fix.

16. Dec 2, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Just because something happens after they did the recall doesn't conclude they had something to so with it. Kind of like I took my truck in for an oil change and now I have a flat right after I got home.

Go in and tell them you think you may have an issue with your auto high beam and don't mention that you feel it's a result of the recall. Will get them defense right off and you may not get the same level of service.

17. Dec 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM
    vsantoro

vsantoro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vic
    Vehicle:
    2020 Gray Tundra TRD PRO
    I understand what your saying , your right they probably will be defensive but I think its a little closer related than an oil change and flat tire which have nothing in common.
    I had the recall fixed which was an electrical issue related to the headlights. The problem I am encountering after the recall is an electrical issue with my headlights.

I also noticed last night I walked away from the truck while it was running and the keys in my pocket, It did not beep and kept running while I was in a store getting coffee. I noticed it when I came back out, I tested it again and it beeped at me the second time.
    This is the first time I have experienced any issues with the truck. It has 4700 miles.

18. Feb 19, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    Stefan S

Stefan S New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Cement CM Trail Ed.
    Exterior: TRD Pro Grill w color matched valence DD SS3 Max Amber fog lights Raptor Lights by Yotaled’s Tow mirrors by Trail Ridge Alpharex Luxxe sequential tail lights (Black) Putco LED strip under tailgate (sequential) 8” BAM exhaust system by Dirty Deeds 32”light bar in lower bumper by Caliraised LED Spider No-Drill roof rack 43” dual color Amber/Clear light bar on roof rack by Caliraised LED 6” Rough Country Lift with coil overs and upgraded shocks 18” Method 305’s Bronze Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5 1/2” bumper shim by Toytec All bulbs converted to LED 20% Tint all around Interior: Katzkins Leather seats (red) Reupholstered doors and center console with additional red leather provided by Katzkins Replaced all chrome pieces with AJT Design Doors and dash also revamped with AJT products Upgraded shift knob Customized OEM style switches for all exterior lights Heated seats Footwell Lighting (red) Replaced Steering Wheel trim Sound system by James Randy Taylor of Tech12Volts (all 3 dash tweeters replaced with JL Audio, all 4 door speakers replaced with Hertz speakers, custom box behind rear seat with (2) 12” Phoenix Gold subs, and replaced Amp) Automatic window up/down switches Rago Dash Mount with Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions phone holder Floor mats by Husky Anytime camera front and back with switch by Trailgrid Pros Dash Cam powered by rear view mirror harness by Trailgrid Pros
    Currently in a ‘21 SR5 Trail, the headlights have the single LED drl on the bottom. I just purchased and installed 2019 TRD PRO LED headlights, and used the conversion harness from Headlight Revolution. (I’m new here and was unaware of Ihacker’s harness). In order to use Headlight Revolutions harness, it required me to do the “pin swap” on the turn signal harness. Additionally, I chose to replace factory blinker bulb with new LED bulbs from GTR Armor series. Job is complete, one side hyper flashes, the other side does not…. I’m guessing the power is borderline, and I will need to install resistors to stop the hyperflashing. Can someone tell me which wire is which coming out of the turn signal harness, there is only 2 of them, I’ve always seen or had 3 on past vehicles. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BigHornMtnTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top