1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thermos that works?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rocko9999, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Feb 19, 2023 at 4:38 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I used to think the same thing about high end thermos/coolers....until I purchased a few.

Last year (funny you say Cabelas) we were on a trip to TN and stopped in Kansas City, KS at a resort (Cabelas was across the street). It was rather hot out and my "cheaper" cooler wasn't cutting it. To be fair, it was in the bed of the truck, with a black tonneau cover. It was hot to say the least.

So I found my way over a Cabelas and started looking. I had a Cabelas associate try to sell me on their brand which was 100.00 cheaper than the same size Yeti. It was nice and I'm sure it performed well. It was very heavy compared to the Yeti and I figured "what the hell" and spent the extra 100.00. (350 total)

What I can tell you is ice would last a couple days in that Yeti. Most times I would need to pull the cooler out by the rope handles because it was so hot. Water and beverages were ice cold.

I was sold.

2. Feb 19, 2023 at 4:41 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    These S'well brand works good...

6FC316BC-F66A-456C-8EB4-8D38CCD7CD3F.jpg

3. Feb 19, 2023 at 4:47 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    High end coolers really are worth the money if you really use coolers for more than keeping beer cool for a couple hours. I have a Coleman Marine cooler and it doesn't hold a candle to a high end roto molded cooler.

I go with Pelican instead of Yeti though. Same ice retention in my experience, better latches and handles along with about 15% lower price.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Feb 19, 2023 at 5:19 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    RTIC has some good stuff. Affordable too imo. Stuff stays cold for days, no joke. I put the rubber boots on them too for padding/insulation. I haven't used with hot stuff much but when I did it kept it hot all day.

5. Feb 19, 2023 at 5:39 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    I have a couple of yeti hard coolers that perform as advertised. Bought the Rtic soft cooler (30can I believe) as it had the flat top and better zipper access than the soft yetis (gen 1) did. Those yetis were a nightmare to open and access. The Rtic softy is our beach / picnic/ concert in the park cooler. Stuff stays cold enough for long enough for our use. If I needed another one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rtic.

6. Feb 19, 2023 at 5:41 PM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    That was my experience. I'll admit I didn't buy a super high end one; we got a rotomolded Coleman cooler (I didn't know they made one until last summer), but we spent a week in Mississippi, Alabama and Destin, Florida. The fact that I could put ice in the cooler and have there still be actual *ICE* a few days later in 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity was amazing.

As they say, buy once cry once, and it was definitely worth it.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 19, 2023 at 5:47 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    I will say, as much as I love my yetis, I'm pretty aggrevated with them. I get that they're trying to make money and branch out. But a yeti dog bowl? Yeti blanket? A Yeti camp chair? Yeti storage boxes (pelican-style ripoffs)? Ugh. just stop.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  8. Feb 19, 2023 at 5:53 PM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Yeah, honestly, I was set to buy a Yeti last summer, right up until I saw the Yeti dog bowl. There's a difference between making quality stuff....and a flat out cash grab.

PermaFrostTRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 19, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I agree a higher end cooler is great for those that use them in extreme conditions.

I could also argue even for water/beverages while traveling it's better to have a high end cooler. I'll explain.

My craptastic cooler (which will remain secret) was literally using two 10 lb bags of ice per day. Now in more touristy areas, ice isn't cheap. I about crapped at over 6.00 with tax per bag...which is ridiculous. Now the condo we stayed at had an ice maker, but it wasn't keeping up with that use. For a two week vacation that is over 180.00 in ice.
    Now with the Yeti, I could keep up with the ice/cooling demands with the ice maker in the condo. No ice cost. With two long vacations last year, it paid for itself in ice alone.

I like the Pelican brand as well and would prefer that brand over the Yeti if one was available. Even the Cabelas brand is considered high end in my opinion.

10. Feb 19, 2023 at 6:42 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I have a Rtic soft cooler too and it does pretty damn good! I was a little shocked.

PermaFrostTRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 19, 2023 at 7:38 PM
    jomikepa

jomikepa New Member

Member:
    O-H-I-O
    21 black truck
    They do keep the Purina crunchier a little longer tho.

PermaFrostTRD likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top