1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Stereo Slow-Build Begins

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Danimal86, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Oct 11, 2021 at 12:35 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 [OP] Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    You can save a good amount of money by getting a head unit that doesn't have navigation. I used to always pony up and pay for navi, but with wireless android auto/carplay its really no necessary. Google maps and waze work really well....as long as you have cell signal. I've only had 1 time where i wish i had the built in navi, i missed a turn when we were on our way back from camping and by the time i noticed something was wrong, it was too late and we were deep in the sticks without any cell signal. No biggie though, just used the compass and headed the way we needed to go until we got cell signal and then all was good.

I hear ya on all the add on....its brutal on the wallet.

The head unit uses the front channel for voice calls i believe, so if you use just the fronts as your input to the fix82 and then have the twk split that out to F/R and L/R you would get calls on all your speakers. Something for you to decide if that matters to you or not. You should be able to use all 4 channels for input into the 82. The L/C/R dash speakers are most likely powered off the head unit itself, so just disconnect them.

As far as the presets on the twk, i wouldn't plan on trying to tune for different genres of music, i would keep the tune the same for all the presets and have the time alignment set for 1) Driver 2)Passenger 3)No Time alignment. That way if you want to show off to someone you dont have to have them hop in the drivers seat to get the full experience.

2. Oct 11, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    BCTRD

BCTRD New Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    18"BBS Forged wheels, factory running boards, VLED's, Rigid Pro Led mod (D2 SAE), diff breather mod, Husky mats, DIY Cquartz UK 3.0, Husky liners, OCD organizers,

3. Oct 11, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    BCTRD

BCTRD New Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    18"BBS Forged wheels, factory running boards, VLED's, Rigid Pro Led mod (D2 SAE), diff breather mod, Husky mats, DIY Cquartz UK 3.0, Husky liners, OCD organizers,
    Hear what you're saying with the TWK and time alignment. I found a person can also change the EQ curves in addition to alignment so you can kinda have your cake and eat it as well with up to 6 presets.
    Sounding like a 4 channel (front & rear) is the better way to go.

After your reply I downloaded Waze and gave it shot, pretty cool.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  4. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    Danimal86

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Waze is the way to go! Its really good about letting you know when there's a cop up ahead or a red light camera (if you have those). The only thing (small gripe) is that it will tell you if there's a Railroad Crossing Ahead and quiets the music for a second (it mutes the music for all notifications not just RR), i wish there was a way to turn specific notifications off.

BCTRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 21, 2022 at 9:02 AM
    nags

nags New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2008 SC RCSB w/ all the goodies.
    You can turn the railroad notifications off now.

6. Sep 21, 2022 at 9:03 AM
    Danimal86

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    holy hell, are you serious?

About freaking time!

Edit: Wow, there's a lot of settings in there....i never knew/looked

7. Sep 21, 2022 at 9:04 AM
    nags

nags New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2008 SC RCSB w/ all the goodies.
    I moved and where I'm at now I'm surrounded by railroad tracks and it was driving me insane.

To turn off railroad crossing alerts:

1. Open Waze, then tap My Waze
    2. Tap Settings b19UQAcrmyq8-UPglNiBkPT8uXXdRWvX-NiuiENx_db7e6dddbe590b5c830f2511525ef0383a647f6d.png
    3. Tap Map Display > Reports > Railroad crossing
    4. Turn off Alert me while driving

8. Sep 21, 2022 at 9:08 AM
    Danimal86

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Just did this. Thanks man, that always drove me nuts!

nags[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 17, 2022 at 1:00 PM
    JoeJob

JoeJob Drummer for Booty and the Hoe Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Silver Sky
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    Just read through this whole thread. Props to the OP for putting together a solid system. I did mine back in 2018 and only recently started playing with the tune again. I also tried to keep the factory radio, but you just can't get audiophile sound. That and it kept going through a reboot cycle whenever my Bluetooth was connected.

I'm looking into a little more juice (currently running a slash 500/5 that puts 100W to the midbass, then 25W to the crossover and out to the mids and tweets, and then 250 to my 10TW3). I am looking for a DSP (either the TWK or Helix) but then the JL VXi amps with the built-in DSP sounds compelling. Pricey, but if you can also get away with not needing the control knob for volume then that would be idea.

I went with the Pioneer NEX for wireless carplay. Pioneer has been decent with features (4-volt preouts and whatnot) for around $600, but it's buggy. Between that and the MaestroRR, I have issues where the screen will lock up or the buttons (screen/steering wheel) won't work and I have to shut the truck down and fire it back up to clear it. Thinking about a Kenwood now...

The time alignment is a game-changer. I had trouble with mine originally and left it set on a built-in "Front" setting, but recently started tweaking by ear and I finally have it balanced as far as speaker level left-to-right and the sound stage is centered over the dash. I still want to be able to EQ each speaker independently tho. Just need to get a 2nd job I guess :rofl:

10. Nov 28, 2023 at 12:39 AM
    Savmikey47

Savmikey47 New Member

Member:
    I wanted to keep my stock head unit. But after reading through your build. I bought an alpine ilx 507, I’m gonna install it and see how they work with the stock speakers. I have an amp that I wanted to install but don’t wanna blow the stocks just yet lol. Thanks for the great thread

To Top