1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Enhanced OEM Build

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (2000-2006)' started by Kimosabe, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Apr 12, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    Have you thought about putting a camera on top of your shell? Mine is in my tailgate and I like it, but I wonder if I wouldn't like the little bit higher view on my she'll. Might be nice to have both. I don't know. I do want to put a camera in my grill though, I know that for sure.

2. Apr 13, 2021 at 8:02 AM
    Kimosabe

Kimosabe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sun Valley, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra AC TRD
    I initially thought about putting the camera on the shell, but I take it off from time to time and would still want the camera backing up when I have something blocking my view. I think for me, the tailgate camera is the best option the majority of the time.
    I could certainly see use in having it on the shell though. We have a backup camera up high on our van and it's pretty nice to see the whole space behind when backing up that monster.
    I'll be curious to see where you install your front camera. I haven't given that much thought... but I am now.

3. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    That's basically the same thing I have going. I don't know how I'd pull the shell off and switch cameras easily. Still need to think on that.

Front camera- I think this would be great for a safety reasons at home and also amazing off-road. I don't do anything crazy, but coming over and rise with a locked seat belt isn't fun when you don't know exactly what's on the other side. There are a lot of trails in the desert that lead to little shoreline cliffs. I also come home and have the sun in my eye sometime and I wear my sunglasses so, I pull in the garage and I might not see everything right in front of me. My oldest is starting to play more with his stuff alone so it's a matter of time before he acts like daddy and goes in the garage to mess with stuff. I'll keep you posted on the front camera. I need a better screen first. Mine is too bright at night on the lowest setting.

4. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    Kimosabe

Kimosabe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sun Valley, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra AC TRD
    Well made some progress last weekend after having some beautiful Katzskin seat covers sitting for almost a month. Managed to take two afternoons/evenings and got all the seats recovered. I ran into one issue that I'm working to resolve. The rear armrest/cupholder/seatback ripped when trying to put it on. Not sure what to do exactly. It didn't fit well and when trying to maneuver it around to fit better it ripped in two spots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pearl-snap and samweizen like this.
  5. Jun 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    Kimosabe

Kimosabe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sun Valley, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra AC TRD
    Well I haven't done much to my truck and I've been really bad about updating my thread.
    I managed to score some roof rack tracks from my neighbor. Everywhere has been sold out for a while.
    **Crazy story: My neighbor coaches the kids ski team and he had his truck parked in the lot to drop stuff off from the season. We had a crazy wind storm that day. It was gusting over 75mph (hurricane force). He had his topper window open and was crawling in the bed when a gust ripped the topper off his truck and planted it right next to his truck on a brand new range rover. Insurance bought him a new topper and he just had to throw the old one away, and I got to collect the rack and any other parts off it.

[​IMG]
    Bought some new hardware to mount them to my topper. Just in time to take it off for a bit.

6. Jun 23, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    Kimosabe

Kimosabe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sun Valley, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra AC TRD
    Finally managed to do some work on upgrading my foglights to Baja Designs Squadron Sports. I'm not satisfied with how they are mounted and already ordered replacement housings to re-do them.
    [​IMG]

I have a bolt going from the light mount through the housing in the back, but it isn't secured to anything else. I don't like that I don't have it secured through the adjustment hole in the bumper. I'm not sure what I need to do, but hopefully I can play around with it and figure something out.

7. Jul 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    Kimosabe

Kimosabe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sun Valley, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra AC TRD
    Well, I've been acquiring some parts and slowly working towards some updates. I'm also working on diagnosing some problems with the driveline and brakes.
    1. Brakes are needing to be pumped to generate braking power. I'm suspecting a vacuum leak and or a bleed is needed. But while I'm at it I'm going to change to stainless brake lines, throw new pads and rotors up front and will inspect the shoes and hardware in the back.
    2. I have been having a clunk in the front and rear along with some rear sway. I think the front end clunk is related to my leaking steering rack, or the bent front diff support. I haven't been able to locate the cause yet. The rear clunk and sway I'm thinking is related to a stripped U-bolt that is not tight, and will add some additional leaf spring clamps to hopefully keep things a little tighter.

So far I've managed to find a mount and secure my spare tire in the truck bed. So far it works okay, and I'll keep it until I come up with a better solution. I also bought a tailgate bike pad and because of that bought a mountain bike to mount on it (truthfully, I bought the bike first). I'm surprised at how nice the bike pad is. I did more research than I should have on something that should be so simple, but I'm really glad I did. This thing is awesome.

[​IMG]

Arringtonpalmer likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top