1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The End of an Era

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Yeah. The SD are a lot higher in my area, but outside the Denver metro/Colorado springs there are some good deals to be had.

2. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:32 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    What's the HP/TQ on those?

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Sixpack

Sixpack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tundra CM TRD 4x4 Limited
    Moto Metal 951 18x9 rims with 285x75x18 Nitto Terra Grapplers , ESP lockable under seat storage, Husky mats front and rear, ReadyLift 3/1, Undercover Flex trifold bed cover, Bed Rug, interior LED's, 15% tint all around, TRD CAI, Bully Dog Platinum GT tuner, TRD rear sway bar, Flowmaster Series 44 dual exhaust system, LED head lights and Fog lights, 32" LED light bar in lower bumper cover, Switchback running lights, much more to come...
    Chris can I get first shot on the airbags when you decide a price?

4. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Isuzu/Duramax is a good engine (don't let it overheat)

Allison transmission is not bad I have seen some TCM (transmission control failure)

Transfer case has a lot to be desired. Not just gm but others.

Electrical is hit or miss in the gm trucks either they are perfect or a lemon. Pick your poison.

Word to the wise don't tune the engine if possible..

Good luck..

ColoradoTJ[OP] and zcarpenter92 like this.
  5. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    365 hp, 765 torque.

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    They have been the same for some years, 397hp/765tq, so lagging behind the others.

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I posted them, damn...may have to go look now.

Sixpack[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:03 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    OK I didn't. Crap. I will post them up.

9. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Yep, the lesser of many evils. Good points made. My excavator has 8 of them and has had no issues to speak of. He is either lucky or I chose wisely. Time will tell.

Much like any motor, overheating is a really bad deal. Towing under 15K, there should be no overheating.

Transfer case, agreed, I have to see if the pump rub is still an issue.

I have seen the issues with the Allison. My brothers has done this once in the past 10 years. Pull battery cables and resets (of course unless it totally fails). He freaked out when it happened. Easy fix. Would suck on the side of the road though right?

No tuning. I have to keep it stock in my area, and to be honest, the big black clouds of unburnt fuel is just annoying, wasting money and piss poor for everyone's health. Around here, you can get a fat ticket for smoking out an intersection.

BlueFalconActual likes this.
  10. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:15 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    :thumbsup:

11. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Im no environmentalist by any means, but rolling coal has to be in the top 5 douchiest things someone could do.

driverdog, Law323, TheBeast and 4 others like this.
  12. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:35 PM
    StRanger7032

StRanger7032 New Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC Limited TRD OR
    Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned 8 foot bed. GM is making some nice trucks again. I was seriously looking at a Chevy Z71 LT regular cab long bed before I bought my latest Tundra. I could have got a heck of a deal on it because there isn't much of a market anymore for loaded regular cabs. The only thing that stopped me was the expected depreciation (see previous sentence). Of course, yours will hold its value like gold being an HD diesel, a crew cab, and an LTZ.

13. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I am a diesel head...love the performance one can get from a tune. However, you can tune a diesel to run like a raped ape and not poor fuel out the tailpipe.

Now for drag racing and pulling, that is a total different ballgame. The compression is reduced so much that the trucks will barely run until you put 150 lbs of boost and 10 gallons of fuel per minute in the motor...lol

14. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Totally agree. I was blown away when my buddy told me that guys actually tune for smoke instead of power.

15. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:49 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    And people wonder why their turbine blading goes flat and lose performance and a low boost CEL is generated. 2700.00 later they get to drive again...if they are lucky.

I just seen pics of a 6.7L ford that was deleted and the turbo blew. new motor time....

Black Wolf likes this.
  16. Oct 18, 2016 at 6:34 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Will do Ron.

NewImprovedRon and T-Rex266 like this.
  17. Oct 18, 2016 at 7:38 AM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    Chris I barely knew ya, but your posts have been great and the community love speaks to your personality!
    Enjoy your time in your new truck.

I'll pour some out for you tonight in honor. :proposetoast:

18. Oct 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    That's definitely a nice truck. You are going to still keep updating your JP builds thread??

19. Oct 18, 2016 at 9:23 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Yes I will Matt. Need to get your ass in the seat and take you for some crazy off-roading.

Black Wolf likes this.
  20. Oct 19, 2016 at 9:05 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I'll make sure I have some "Depends" just in case. heh heh

21. Oct 22, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Well a little update on my truck buying experience. This has been the worst experience in my adult life when dealing with salesmen/sales managers....and believe me, I have had some interesting experiences.

I went up on the evening of the 18th with the whole family. They had what I though was my truck 16' 3500 long bed white in color. The truck just looked HUGE. Something about how the bed looked between the cab and wheel well. My wife didn't like it, but said it was my choice. She also said they will be installing step bars for this truck. For 57000.00, it better have step bars for Lords sake. I agreed, but they were not doing that without adding 800.00 to the price. They are on crack.
    So we test drove a 2500 short bed to see if the short bed is what we wanted. We made the decision to go with a short bed and a different color. The dealership had no single rear wheel 1 tons on the lot, so one would have to be brought in, but not before we did paperwork since we backed out of buying the white 3500 long bed.
    He then suggested a 3/4 ton since the load rating were a lot better than just a few years ago. I looked into it, and almost did it. Hell, a 3/4 ton now has a capacity of 3140 lbs. Now that does sound like a lot....but I will cover that later. I entertained the idea and then they through out a hail Mary price that was pretty hard to not look at....for essentially the same damn truck. They said 53K for the 3/4 ton and it had the bed liner and 5th wheel/GN prep already installed. That was a win in my book. It was getting late, and I needed to get my family back home and would return on the following day. They knew in advance that I was looking for heated/cooled black leather seats. This option eliminated all the other options I didn't want...like a front bench seat.

I came back early on the next day (19th) and seen my possible new truck up front. Damn it was good looking. Silver, 5th wheel prep, bed liner, LTZ, black leather.....and no heated/cooled seats, so yeah, front bench seat. Then they said we have a better deal on a GMC, silver 2500 in the SLT package. This truck is the step below the Denali. I took that for a spin and it was sweet. I said to run numbers on this truck and see where we are at. The numbers came back more expensive than a damn 1 ton. I asked them to honor the price they gave me the night before of 53,500.00. They did not, even on the other truck. So there was a mystery 53,500.00 fully loaded 3/4 ton out in Colorado someplace. I told them this is the last shot, and since they want 1 ton money, I am getting a 1 ton truck.

So we built a truck. LTZ, 3500, short bed, silver, black leather interior, heated/cooled seats, lane departure warning system, yadda yadda yadda. I signed for my new truck on Oct 19th. All paperwork had been completed for a Silver, 16' Chevy 3500 short bed truck. The truck was in a different city about 100 miles away and the truck would be there the next day. Deal. I went home and felt pretty good about the sale.

I googled the vin # and it was not in the city where they said it was, but much closer in fact...like 25 miles. So strike one, but I guess they figured out I didn't know that or how to find my truck.

So I call the next day and the truck was not there. Of course my salesman and sales manager was not there. The big boss said he found me a closer truck. I said "all paperwork has been signed and I own the truck with XXX vin number". He said he would call me back. All of a sudden my salesman call me back and said the truck you purchased was already sold or the dealership that held the truck would not release the truck. He then said that before I got really pissed they found the same truck, for 3000.00 less but in white. Let the games begin. I told them I no longer wanted white, and silver is what I wanted, and the damn truck I purchased with all signed documents. I heard nothing, so I put a stop payment on the rather large down payment check and called them back. They are still trying to get this truck...with no luck. So I call the finance department and told them I am scrapping the deal until they can deliver me my truck. This was total BS. He agreed and said no problem.

The sales manager that was on vacation in Boston called me from his personal cell and tried to talk me into this white one. I pretty much told him to eat a bag of dicks and I would be dealing with his boss from here on out. No word for the rest of the day. Go figure.

I received a call from a guy on CraigsList wanting to buy my tow mirrors, and he would meet me in CastleRock where this dealership was. Perfect time to "stop by". Truck still wasn't there, and I called the finance department again and they said the check would not be released due to the deal still being on. I said the deal was not still on and they two departments should probably talk more than once a day. He agreed. The finance manager called back and said I can pick the check up anytime.

I walked in, and talked to the main car sales manager and he was even more confused than I was. So we had a little discussion with the sales associate in an office and he backed up what I said. So pretty much, I got screwed out of my truck for the Sales manager not being able or checking on locking the truck down. The main sales manager's face was getting pretty red, and then understood why I was so pissed. He said he would deal with him when he returned from vacation.

I left the dealership after 5 days of total bullshit without a truck and a rather large down payment. It seems like I couldn't even give them my money. As I walked out, the door closed and I overheard the Sales manager say to the sales associate "get that MF'er Brad on the phone, he is getting fired on vacation"...

I LOL'd and just called my buddy in North Denver that owns a dealership and gave him my requirements and he located and is shipping the truck as I type this....for cheaper.

What a flippen mess.

The reason I stuck with the 1 ton is for goose neck hauling for the future. Next month my friend is buying a 26' GN deck over flatbed. The weight is 4800' lbs and any of our two Jeeps vary in weight, but will be between 4650-5300 lbs. If all the weights are at max of 5300x2=10600lbs + 4800lbs= 15400lbs without any occupants, fuel, supplies, etc. My pin weight will be 2926 lbs, so that would max out a 3/4 ton and be right back where I was with the Tundra. The 1 ton has a capacity rating for the setup I want of 4150 lbs, which will leave us with 1224 lbs of capacity for people and supplies. Adds up quick. Funny, the 1 ton is cheaper in a lot of ways, and if I wanted a dually, I could definitely get it cheaper.

22. Oct 22, 2016 at 4:50 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    What a mess! At least your finally getting what you want. I need pics of this truck when you get it. Sounds bad ass!

23. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Your experience sounds a lot like mine when I was trying to buy my Tundra.
    I wanted an SR5 with the safety and convenience package with navigation. The dealership kept telling me it wasn't possible to get that combination. I emailed my salesman with 5 trucks within 200 miles that had it, they still couldn't find them on their computer until the started looking them up by VIN numbers. Found one, told me they were going to trade for it, I called a couple days later to check on it and I guess they "forgot" to trade for it. Said they just couldn't find any trucks that met my criteria. So I found 5 more trucks and sent them to them. "We'll check on them" in the mean time I got a call saying they had a truck like I wanted without the those packages. Said they were trying to trade for the other trucks. Didn't get a call back, called them and they said the truck sold. Gave them one last chance, they had one they were going to trade for, they finally made a deal. We were at my in-laws for the weekend and I had found a Pro that I was wanting at a price I could make work about 3 hours from me. Called the dealership on our way home from the in-laws said when their driver got to the dealership to trade for it they had already sold the truck. Called the dealership that had the Pro, they said come see us so we drove 4 hours home from the in-laws, cleaned out my truck, drove 3 hours picked up the Pro and drove it home. I'm not sure if the dealership I was working with was incompetent or if they really just wanted me to settle for the trucks they had on their lot, but I was doing all the work for them finding the trucks and they just wouldn't get them so they lost a $40,000+ sale.

24. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:10 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    @RowdyRon the new Auburn fan... :rofl:

Law323 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  25. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD

Jesus, my first 4Runner experience and my wife's first Tacoma experience was like that as well.

26. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    This makes me kinda realize what I should do after I retire. I can go to the auctions and buy/ship cars and keep good inventory.

My buddy that is buying this truck for me has always said "cheap cars aren't good and good cars aren't cheap." I do believe he is correct.

zcarpenter92 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  27. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I thought that's how Toyota worked, they don't keep 50 trucks on their lots like the domestic companies do. Most of them around here have between 2-5 trucks at any given time, but they trade between dealers to get you what you want. O'well I ended up with what I wanted just took an extra month and a 6 hour round trip to get it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  28. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    A guy I work with buys all of his cars through a broker and said it's the easiest experience he's ever had. Tells them exactly what he wants, they call around to all the dealerships, gets the truck you want at a good price and will even deliver it to you, no negotiation no hassle and you end up with the best price because they search nationwide.

29. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I have no issue with taking your time, and/or traveling to get it. With today's vehicle prices, options, internet shopping, having buyers remorse is your own fault. (Kinda like a stupid tax)

30. Oct 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Toyota spray in bed liner/ 30" LED Lightbar/ Pro Comp Pro Runner SS @ 2.5"/ Husky Xact fronts/ Weathertech rear/ NFAB steps/ 275/70R18 BFG KO2's/ LED interior from GTR lighting/ Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer brake Controller
    What a crazy deal glad your finally getting what you want!

Products Discussed in

To Top